Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here.

Just got a new 2017 base model Focus ST last week and needed a way to set up Sirius radio. I quickly discovered that the power ports did not switch off with the motor and was worried I would drain the battery if I forgot to turn of my Sirius radio tuner (base model car does not have Sirius built-in).

It turns out Sirius sells a product to provide 5v power to their radio tuners that works off the USB port. Only costs $10 and has a 3 foot cord with a female mini jack on the output. The USB port turns off after you shut off the car and close the door so thee are no worries about draining the battery.

This fix only works if the device you're using requires 5v power. I guess there would also be a restriction on the power level because the USB port probably doesn't produce very much. I don't know what kind of power the dash cams, etc need but for anything using 5 volts this method works excellently. Here's a link to what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TYLKY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Pretty sure that the 12V outlets do turn off, I believe when you lock the doors or headlights turn off.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
My 2016 has a radar detector wired into the 12v plug constantly and it turns off after about 3-5 minutes after i lock it.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you care about having a clean set up, it is surprisingly easy to do things a little more proper in this car. Basically pull fabric covering in front passenger footwell to expose the main fuse box. Then buy one of those "add a fuse" things, (google it if your not sure), I believe I used the heated seat fuse which turns on and off instantly. Works nice, minimal effort required.

You might find it is even easier to remove the glove box. Trickiest part here is finding all the screws (6/7 total if I remember right). Worst is two of those screws are hidden up near the fuse box area of passenger footwell. Major PITA to find those 2 screws the first time, but after a few goes the glove box is a piece of cake to remove. then you have excellent access to the fuse box so wire things up neat.

Or what you are doing works too.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Trickiest part here is finding all the screws (6/7 total if I remember right).

two from the floor looking up (near impossible to see), two at the top of the open glove box and one under the dash end cap that needs to be popped off. seriously takes less than 5 mins to pull the glove box!

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is another thread about adding additional switched power devices. You will use an add-a-fuse and plug into fuse #85.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/13092-simple-instructions-hard-wiring-radar-detector-other-device.html

Write-up is well written and instructions are very easy to follow. Hope this helps!

Edit: Adding a 5V USB switched power source is covered further down the thread...

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/13092-simple-instructions-hard-wiring-radar-detector-other-device.html#post243811

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My point when I started the thread was to say how easy and effective the Sirius 5v USB power cable is. It takes literally less than one minute to install and works perfectly for those who need a switched 5v source. I'm not arguing with anyone who wants to do it through an add-a-fuse.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm an old fart ....2017 ST1...other vehicle is FULLY loaded Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 turbo. Have been coughing up over $100/ year for Sirius XM...only listen to SPA-ESCAPE & WATERCOLORS. My IT guy (son) figured out how to put many many hours of SPA-ESCAPE & WATERCOLORS on a flash drive/s. Will not be renewing subscription. Averaging 26.9 mpg at the 3,500 mile mark....trip computer says 27.6. If you baby it you can get >30 as an ave..

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would gladly pay for SiriusXM even though I only listen to a couple of channels but I don't know whats going on with Ford's sat tuner... it sounds absolutely terrible. its bad enough that after the merger they chose to keep Sirius's lower bit rate compression, but still aftermarket tuners sound great, but every ford tuner I've ever heard just sounds like listening to music with my head under water. even one of my other installers has SiriusXM in his Chevy and it sounds good and he cant believe how terrible it sound in my car, and the wife's escape, and my dad's Flex. in the end, its OK because Pandora Plus is a lot cheaper than SXM and even with BT compression, it sounds 10x better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts