Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this issue has been addressed. A search for BATTERY didn't show it discussed recently.

Some of us early ST buyers are reaching the end of our battery's life,
The battery box tucked under the cowl makes it almost impossible to remove. I've seen recommendations to remove the air box to pull the battery forward.
I found an easier way:

1) Remove the front cover and pry up the rear cover. Remove hold down strap (10mm socket)
2) Pull up slightly on FRONT of battery box, while pushing SIDES of box outward. They'll separate at corners.
3) The front of the box will lean forward about an inch--enough to slide the battery forward.
4) Remove neg. clamp first (again 10mm), then pos., pushing both well clear so as not to accidentally arc with the new one.
5) Lift front of battery upwards while pulling back of it forward, rotating it onto the back end with the front pointing up. Lift straight up.
6) Reverse the procedure and you're done. Took me 10-15 mins. and never touched airbox.

Also, I'd been told radio presets would delete unless a "minder" was used, but they're still fine. There must be some kind of back-up power somewhere.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Thats how I remove it every time.

Reactions: itsjustdibella

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't know if this issue has been addressed. A search for BATTERY didn't show it discussed recently.

The battery box tucked under the cowl makes it almost impossible to remove. I've seen recommendations to remove the air box to pull the battery forward.
I found an easier way:

1) Remove the front cover and pry up the rear cover. Remove hold down strap (10mm socket)
2) Pull up slightly on FRONT of battery box, while pushing SIDES of box outward. They'll separate at corners.
3) The front of the box will lean forward about an inch--enough to slide the battery forward.
4) Remove neg. clamp first (again 10mm), then pos., pushing both well clear so as not to accidentally arc with the new one.
5) Lift front of battery upwards while pulling back of it forward, rotating it onto the back end with the front pointing up. Lift straight up.
6) Reverse the procedure and you're done. Took me 10-15 mins. and never touched airbox.

Also, I'd been told radio presets would delete unless a "minder" was used, but they're still fine. There must be some kind of back-up power somewhere.
My battery just went out exactly 1 month out of warranty, LOL. And the car was on a battery tender when I wasn't driving it either.

I watched the Youtube video about changing the battery (
) , but couldn't get the battery to clear, so I figured out also the trick of sliding the front plastic wall up a little bit, pushing outward on the sides, and popping it loose enough to get the battery out.

My negative terminal was stuck on there pretty good, took me a while to pry it loose, and it had a lot of corrosion from the OEM battery. So I made sure to clean the battery cable, spray with anti-corrosion spray, and the put battery protective pads and corrosion resistant goo on both terminals on the new battery, to prevent any future corrosion.

Took me 2 hours from start to finish to figure everything out and go slow, now I figure I can do it in about 20-30 minutes in the future, still tough because of the tight clearance but this helps a lot.

Getting the battery to come out and putting it in is a b**ch... thank goodness I had a battery clamp that I could put on the positive terminal and drag the damn thing out!! So hard to use your hands to get it out without smashing your fingers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Also, are there anything to reset after changing the battery, like some Nissans (windows) or Kia's? Kia Optima: Reset items - Battery - Maintenance - Kia Optima TF 2011-2016 Owners Manual

Items should be reset after the battery has been discharged or the battery has been disconnected.

Auto down window (See section 4)
Sunroof (See section 4)
Trip computer (See section 4)
Climate control system (See section 4)
Clock (See section 4)
Audio (See section 4)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thread revival . . . .

Just a quick addition - if you have a strut tower brace, it takes away some of the headroom needed to rotate the battery out of the box. Tilting the front of the box out doesn't give quite enough room in this case. I removed the top of the air box and it let the front panel of the box tilt a little farther and gave me enough room to get the battery out.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I found an easier way:

Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts

I found an easier way:

Worked thanks for the tip

·
Registered
465 Posts
I put a heavy zip tie on the end of the battery threw a hold down buckle. Made a nice handle to get the battery tipped and lifted out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts