Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, when I first start the car in the morning, the A/C blows out some nasty-smelling air for a few seconds. It doesn't smell like it's a damp or musty smell, more like she's a girl and she needs a good douching.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their car?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sometimes, when I first start the car in the morning, the A/C blows out some nasty-smelling air for a few seconds. It doesn't smell like it's a damp or musty smell, more like she's a girl and she needs a good douching.

do you park under tree's this may sound strange but the same thing happened to me but i changed my spot and it went away. it only did it to me when car was parked at house so i knew it was something outside, try that if u can move or next time its parked some where else for a lenth of time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I feel as though you should reword your post a little bit lol.

Check your cabin air filter. Should be replaced every 20k miles.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a spray cleaner available for the air exchange box and you spray it in through the outside intake vents with the a/c running on max. It works well but I can never get more than part of the can out of it before the propellant fails (it doesn't take a full can per car; it's just that I can only ever get limited use out of it although it should yield enough for about four applications).
I don't have a brand name for it handy but I can only find it at Napa and it comes in a tall, green thin spray can. If anyone finds this stuff from another manufacturer where you can actually get most of it out of the can without failure I'd love to hear it.
It hasn't happened to my FOST but it can be quite common with other cars, especially if the a/c drain gets partially clogged. When I lived in Virginia there were some small bees (mud daubers, IIRC) that loved clogging the drain with mud and setting up a condo there, blocking the condensate from dripping out and resulting in the smell problem and sometimes in a soggy passenger side carpet.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
207 Posts
a) edit your post ..... I mean really, what kind of person are you?

b) change the cabin air filter

c) check the a/c condensate drain ..... if you have been running the a/c for very long at all, when you park you should see a puddle form under the car. This is a/c condensation. If it is NOT draining under the car it is going someplace else cuz the hose is blocked and eventually it ends up under the carpets and MOLD grows.

d) you can run febreeze thru the system but if mold has sprouted there you are gonna need one of those special automotive products previously mentioned or a can of Lysol with bleach ..... guess which costs less?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You have a dead mouse somewhere in your system. Where I grew up, mice would sometimes find their way into our clothes dryer through the vent. It would stink like a weird fishy/hair smell when they died from turning the dryer on.

Also, +1 on the request to clean up your post. We get what you mean, but you need to find another way to describe it.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I had something similar because pollen got in my cabin air filter and on humid days it would get damp overnight and stink in the morning. A new filter cleared it right up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Description sounded accurate and I've seen worse posted. . Including alot of stupid Menes. It's your smell do with it what you want ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car was only 5 months old when this started, with about 6,000 miles. Tonight, I checked the A/C condensate drain, which was clean and clear. I then checked the cabin air filter, which was surprisingly nasty for being so new. Apparently, it mounts right up against the evaporator, which is always wet. The filter definitely had something growing on the evaporator side, and it didn't smell horrible but it didn't smell good. I replaced it immediately and we'll see how it goes.
I replaced it with a Wix that is treated with Bioshield 75, which, according to Wix, "prevents the growth of a wide array of bacteria, mold, mildew, algae and yeast." So, there it is. Apparently, my car had a yeast infection. I should have suspected something when I saw the vagina-like tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Replace the cabin air filter regularly and find a good hvac disinfectant. Ive used sprays,foams, and foggers. For extreme cases we use the foam to get sprayed into the heater core and then fog the car. The best spray stuff Ive used was BG frigifresh, that was a while ago, not sure if they changed there formula, but that was the only spray that actually lasted and didnt smell worse.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Apparently, my car had a yeast infection. I should have suspected something when I saw the vagina-like tailpipe.
This man has never seen a vagina.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I get it too...........smells like urine to me. Sucks..........but goes away after a couple of minutes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts