Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting a new car recently and have been deciding between a fiesta st and focus st, as you can tell I made it with the Focus.

I just picked up a 2016 Kona Blue ST3. I am looking to add a short throw shifter and an oil catch can.

Mainly looking at the Boomba Ultimate and the JBR catch can. Any comments on either? I'd rather not do a Symposer delete unless one of you can sway me to do it.

With the shift kit, what weight knob should I be looking for?

Thanks all from Phoenix, AZ

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I have the Boomba Ultimate kit set to max reduction, and I love it. I kept the stock knob. Shortening the shifter does require a bit more effort to get into gear, but not much at all. A heavier knob balances that out some.
I was more concerned with an aftermarket knob in the cold and hot weather. Most are metal, and freeze your hand in winter, and bake your skin off in summer.
good luck, and Congrats on the new ride!
I guess I'm one of the few who like the symposer sound.
Silly me...lol

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I have the Boomba Ultimate kit set to max reduction, and I love it. I kept the stock knob. Shortening the shifter does require a bit more effort to get into gear, but not much at all. A heavier knob balances that out some.
I was more concerned with an aftermarket knob in the cold and hot weather. Most are metal, and freeze your hand in winter, and bake your skin off in summer.
good luck, and Congrats on the new ride!
I guess I'm one of the few who like the symposer sound.
Silly me...lol

Good Luck!

I have the AnarchyMotive 671 gram knob which is steel; it's not bad in the summer, but when it gets below zero in the winter I definately wear driving gloves!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the AnarchyMotive 671 gram knob which is steel; it's not bad in the summer, but when it gets below zero in the winter I definately wear driving gloves!
Thank both of ya, I picked up the Boomba Ultimate anyway last night. Planning on doing the plate first and then the rest some other day.

671 is damn heavy, I though 500 was pushing it. I may just try to find a cover or rubbize paint it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still trying to figure out what catch can to go with. I'd really like to have a top mount one but I just don't want to delete the sound d symposer

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what catch can to go with. I'd really like to have a top mount one but I just don't want to delete the sound d symposer

Welcome to the Forum!

I went with the Damond Motorsports OCC in my 2015 FoST and really liked it.

Initially, I intended to top mount it, but realized that draining it would be a PITA, so I mounted it low.

The lower mounting position made it very easy to drain from under the car.

I highly recommend it (just my 2 cents).

https://damondmotorsports.com/products/focus-st-oil-catch-can-kit?variant=1017303012

EDIT:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-maintenance/41410-focus-st-oil-catch-can-separator-thread.html

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help, I went with the JBR because of their presence on this site and I felt they with Damond were both good

Now I just need a clutch spring replacement, I don't want to just remove it without replacing it with something else

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, put 80 miles on it so far all is good. Except a scratch under the rear bumper the dealer is going to take care of.

So far a pretty easy car to lean manual on, I had basically no experience with manual before except about 30 minutes on a dirt bike.

A few stalls and a few burning clutch smells but basically got it down now. Just need to perfect starting quickly (not fast, just getting moving faster) and hill starts.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Thanks for the help, I went with the JBR because of their presence on this site and I felt they with Damond were both good

Now I just need a clutch spring replacement, I don't want to just remove it without replacing it with something else

Pull it out and cut 2 coils off the spring with a dremel

·
Registered
696 Posts
IMHO, there's no need to modify your clutch, especially if this is your first manual transmission car.

I recommend learning how the car feels in its stock form before you start modding too much. The OCC is a bit of a given, though. (Even though I don't have one yet.)

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMHO, there's no need to modify your clutch, especially if this is your first manual transmission car.

I recommend learning how the car feels in its stock form before you start modding too much. The OCC is a bit of a given, though. (Even though I don't have one yet.)
Yeah the clutch spring is on my list later down the road but it would be a cheap piece so I don't mind buying it and waiting to install it. The stock clutch isn't bad now I'm getting more used to it, just very springy up toward the top.

I will install the catch can when I get it and will be waiting a bit to install the Boomba Shifter. Those are the only mods I'm doing for a while, along with a gas pedal spacer.

Cobb Stage 1 will come in 9 months to a year as I'm already gifted with the power as I was coming from an SUV. And that will about do it, as much as I want to go stage 2/3 down the road I don't think I'll ever have the guts to make that much of a mechanical change.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Cool. Enjoy the ride, man! It's a good one!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah the clutch spring is on my list later down the road but it would be a cheap piece so I don't mind buying it and waiting to install it. The stock clutch isn't bad now I'm getting more used to it, just very springy up toward the top.

I will install the catch can when I get it and will be waiting a bit to install the Boomba Shifter. Those are the only mods I'm doing for a while, along with a gas pedal spacer.

Cobb Stage 1 will come in 9 months to a year as I'm already gifted with the power as I was coming from an SUV. And that will about do it, as much as I want to go stage 2/3 down the road I don't think I'll ever have the guts to make that much of a mechanical change.

I'm just going to save this post and then repost it at the bottom of your soon to be started build thread. We all say that and then we all find ourselves looking at parts, small at first then a little bit of "I wonder" or "it's just to smooth out the power curve and fill in the valleys" next thing it's "a big turbo will keep it from losing power up top" and just like that it's off the automotive version of AA and mini vans

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm just going to save this post and then repost it at the bottom of your soon to be started build thread. We all say that and then we all find ourselves looking at parts, small at first then a little bit of "I wonder" or "it's just to smooth out the power curve and fill in the valleys" next thing it's "a big turbo will keep it from losing power up top" and just like that it's off the automotive version of AA and mini vans
Okay I'll confess, there's more down the road.

Exhaust will probably come at some point, maybe the sound symposer delete if it ever starts to bother me. Other than that I can't think of much I would want, I'm coming from a 2011 Chevy Equinox so everything is a world's better than that. I may want to raise the suspension just a tad, as I do typically go on semi-maintained dirt roads once a month or so.

Other than shifter, pedal spacer, OCC, tune, and exhaust, I honestly can't think of anything else I'd want

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
This system would no affect factory warranty. Its a simple system designed to just cool air, it provides necessary fitments for the OEM tubes and sensors.
I completely understand you're concern tho.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This system would no affect factory warranty. Its a simple system designed to just cool air, it provides necessary fitments for the OEM tubes and sensors.
I completely understand you're concern tho.
I haven't done much research into it as I know it would be one of my later mods. I know if anything it's better for the car, especially here in Arizona summers.

I just don't feel like dealing with dealer BS if they see an intercooler sitting in the bumper. Anyway, I'll look into it more in-depth later on

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll get my build thread started soon, I will have my OCC today. I have to read up a bit if I should put it on now with ~200 miles on the car or wait until around 1000-1500 when I do my first oil change

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I haven't done much research into it as I know it would be one of my later mods. I know if anything it's better for the car, especially here in Arizona summers.

I just don't feel like dealing with dealer BS if they see an intercooler sitting in the bumper. Anyway, I'll look into it more in-depth later on

When summer comes about, I do recommend checking out the different options. Careful of the dealers here in AZ i've been burned by two so far.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts