Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a really good deal for a forge intercooler but worried its too small if i go bt later on. Thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So no forge opinions?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
It'll probably do just fine. Not the best, but much better than stock.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm that's not a vote of confidence haha

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
I am looking at a really good deal for a forge intercooler but worried its too small if i go bt later on. Thoughts?
What kind of goals are you aiming at?

Street use DD at 400 plus hp?

Drag car?

Autocross?

The safest bet is to go with the largest core you can, which normally boils down to CP-E or the crappier fit and finish/hardwared Depo racing. Both are 5.5" cores and massive.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
^^ He's right, depending on the power levels you plan to try and push, obviously they amount of air you flow will change.
The design and the flow rate is important, in not 100% sure if bigger is always better depending on your goals,
I would think you could find out easily the flow rates of different FMICs
in terms of whats out there, heres what I know:
Levels
steeda
Cobb
Depo
CP-E
Vortech

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, my boss walked in, need to "do work"

·
Administrator
14,310 Posts
^^ He's right, depending on the power levels you plan to try and push, obviously they amount of air you flow will change.
The design and the flow rate is important, in not 100% sure if bigger is always better depending on your goals,
I would think you could find out easily the flow rates of different FMICs
in terms of whats out there, heres what I know:
Levels
steeda
Cobb
Depo
CP-E
Vortech

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, my boss walked in, need to "do work"
Yeah, get back to work!!!!

Heat soak is my biggest concern. A larger core while disregarding airflow characteristics, will fight heat soak better than a smaller core. If the OP is in fact living in the Boston area, then he doesn't have the harsh summers to deal with like somebody from Arizona. So the OP could do just fine with a smaller core. But I personally hate buying something twice once I realized its a bottleneck. Like the Injen exhaust I bought, Grrrrr.

So match the goals, to the budget, to the climate, to the type of driving, then rejoice.

Which normally leads to either the Depo SOB or the Depo Beast, lmao!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yeah, get back to work!!!!

Heat soak is my biggest concern. A larger core while disregarding airflow characteristics, will fight heat soak better than a smaller core. If the OP is in fact living in the Boston area, then he doesn't have the harsh summers to deal with like somebody from Arizona. So the OP could do just fine with a smaller core. But I personally hate buying something twice once I realized its a bottleneck. Like the Injen exhaust I bought, Grrrrr.

So match the goals, to the budget, to the climate, to the type of driving, then rejoice.

Which normally leads to either the Depo SOB or the Depo Beast, lmao!!
Agreed 100%

Reactions: Duece McCracken
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.