Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found out today the gentleman who owned the car before me (original owner) had this https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603A-FSTA installed at the dealer. I was not aware of this until I had them install my Mountune FMIC kit with pipes. The guys knew the car well. Showed me the ram air scoop and said they installed the tune as well as plugs for the guy. Should I retune or get a dyno to atleast see what she is pushing out?

Edit:grammar

·
Registered
64 Posts
Found out today the gentleman who owned the car before me (original owner) had this https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603A-FSTA installed at the dealer. I was not aware of this until I had them install my Mountune FMIC kit with pipes. The guys knew the car well. Showed me the ram air scoop and said they installed the tune as well as plugs for the guy. Should I retune or get a dyno to atleast see what she is pushing out?

Edit:grammar
Mmmhmm identical setup as me! I posted a dnyo sheet awhile back in the All in one FRPP thread.Here's the link:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/1068-all-one-everything-frpp-thread-155.html#post931584

That was w/ only the snorkel & the tune. Haven't spun her again since I put the Mountune core on. But that should give you a great reference point to start from :)

Despite what others may tell you (or Ford for that matter), the torque increase is not the only benefit. I picked up ~25 bhp peak & ~40 bhp from ~3.7-6k RPM over stock. I'd say it's a fair bet that the Mountune core picked up a few extra ponies. Oh, and both those runs were w/ 91 PON @ 5,000 ft elev, ~80 deg. F....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmhmm identical setup as me! I posted a dnyo sheet awhile back in the All in one FRPP thread.Here's the link:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...ne-everything-frpp-thread-155.html#post931584

That was w/ only the snorkel & the tune. Haven't spun her again since I put the Mountune core on. But that should give you a great reference point to start from

Despite what others may tell you (or Ford for that matter), the torque increase is not the only benefit. I picked up ~25 bhp peak & ~40 bhp from ~3.7-6k RPM over stock. I'd say it's a fair bet that the Mountune core picked up a few extra ponies. Oh, and both those runs were w/ 91 PON @ 5,000 ft elev, ~80 deg. F....

I will probably keep the tune and go get a dyno. I installed the Mountune high flow exhaust, Low restriction airflow arm, RMM and that FMIC kit on top of what he had done to it so i am curious what number it does now and also what they compare to yours. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Keep the tune for now if it is on it. It is crazy fun to drive. I hit 248 whp and 354ft lbs on a mustang dyno back in 2014. I only had the tune and k&n filter at the time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*UPDATE*
I asked Ford Racing if it was safe to keep the tune or if it should be re-tuned with the parts I added and they said to retune it, they suggested the Mountune tune since most of my parts were Mountune. He said the tune package installed on my car was ok if I was just adding a FMIC but he cautioned adding any other parts to it with that tune. It confused me as I thought the cat back and low restriction intake wouldn't really add much gains so it shouldn't matter. Guess I am wrong and need to get an access port.

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is an article in mustang and fast fords in 08/16 about the st having your similar mods (mountune and frpp). The car is just fine with added CAI, downpipe, and exhaust. I have this set up as well and have no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is an article in mustang and fast fords in 08/16 about the st having your similar mods (mountune and frpp). The car is just fine with added CAI, downpipe, and exhaust. I have this set up as well and have no issues.

I read that article as well which is why i was a bit confused at his advice. I briefly thought maybe he was just trying to get me to buy the Mountune Cobb V3 from them as he probably was more a salesman and not a tech. He was like "you'll be 100% safe on the Mountune tune but if you are on ours don't get spirited with my driving. It wouldn't be safe" which then made me a bit concerned. If a Ford Racing guy is saying their tune isn't safe with those mods...i started to wonder.
Thanks for the reassurance. If you are rocking it without issue i wont worry.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have had the ford tune since 7000 miles, I am now at 46000 miles. I have slowly added Mountune pieces to the mix. I have tried to be meticulous with maintenance and have sent oil samples to Blackstone labs. So far so good. I would love to dyno again to see what she is putting down. I would bet probably 260-265 whp now. I own a cobb access port also and hope to buy Mountunes bigger turbo kit in future. Good luck with your new car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you have any questions about your frpp tune pm raysmust , he works at ford performance and is active on the forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts