Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Vaccar hasn't said anything about having any pedal travel issues, but I'll ask. One thing I do know from pictures is that the clutch pedal at least actually sits up slightly higher than the original TC brake/gas pedals do, because for a few days they had the clutch pedal in there before swapping out the TC brake/gas for the ST brake/gas pedals.

I assume you're swapping in brake/gas pedals from an automatic Focus, so it's very possible that the ST pedals are different from those as well.

I also do plan on adding a spacer to the gas pedal as well, mainly because I've read that the OEM mounting is a bit sloppy and poorly spaced. I will probably not do that until I have driven it first, though, just so I know for sure that it's something I'll want.

·
Registered
713 Posts
For the moment, I have the ST gas pedal, and the original automatic brake pedal, and the height difference is massive. The other TWO pedals will be in shortly :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I got some pictures back from Vaccar comparing the ST and TC pedals - I definitely would not describe them as very different shaped, although I agree the TC one is a little longer.

Looking at the pictures, I'd think if anything, the ST pedal would have less risk of interference than the TC one. I'm not too worried about it - like you said, if it is an issue, pedal spacers are readily available and would resolve it. I'll see how they feel to me and go from there - may end up wanting one regardless of whether there's an interference or not.

20170605_110835.jpg

20170605_110858.jpg

20170605_110910.jpg

·
Registered
713 Posts
I should have done that when I had both pedals out.

I did notice while driving an 2017 Lincoln MKZ, that the pedal looked similar, just with a different rubber pattern in the stainless face. I looked under the dash, and the mounting looks the same, but the shape is closer to the Transit size and length. I may have to give one a try.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Been a bit without an update...

Here's a shot finally with the shifter installed. They ended up using the shifter assembly from the UK that I ordered, but the shifter cables out of the ST. That was due to a difference in the bracket that attaches to the transmission. TCs in the UK do come with the same B6 transmission, but it's a different housing than what is on the 2.0T ST engine. No worries - ordering the cables was a risk mitigation measure that it turned out we didn't need.

TC shifterUK2.jpg

I also ordered a Mishimoto radiator to replace the stock unit. I had a radiator pop on my current car a few years ago that was the same OEM design - plastic end tanks crimped on, and I'm not keen to see that happen again. A little insurance policy. Shiny :)

TC-ST Mishi radiator.jpg

This week the wiring harness from the ST will get swapped into the TC. The hope was that we could avoid doing that, but the harnesses are juuust different enough that it is probably best to bite the bullet. It could be made to work, but not cleanly.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Been a bit without an update...

Here's a shot finally with the shifter installed. They ended up using the shifter assembly from the UK that I ordered, but the shifter cables out of the ST. That was due to a difference in the bracket that attaches to the transmission. TCs in the UK do come with the same B6 transmission, but it's a different housing than what is on the 2.0T ST engine. No worries - ordering the cables was a risk mitigation measure that it turned out we didn't need.
The Focus ST uses an MMT6 gearbox, the 1.6L Focus and transit connect use the IB6 gearbox along with the Fiesta ST.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So If i'm reading correctly, If I were to use a Fiesta ST Trans with my 1.6L Ecoboost, I would need the cable from the UK? Or just Fiesta ST Cables?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes, I have an update...

This is the first startup of an ST engine in a TC. - the result of an unreal amount of work, more than half of which is probably just wiring. The thing started right up, first time. There was a single thing stopping it when they inserted the key - a safety block that is intended to prevent engine start after a major crash, probably due to the number of sensors that were plugged in/unplugged during the engine swap/harness hybriding process. After that code was cleared, it started first try. That easy. This is the top of the hill, really. Nothing after this point is untrod territory. It's happening.

I haven't made an update in 6 months+, which is a classic forum thing to do I know. Get halfway into a huge project with lots of updates and then just go totally dark and leave it hanging forever. Well, I'm back, and it is working, and it's getting done.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Woot!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Its been 4 months and I just found this thread and read the whole this. Wheres that

Been a bit without an update .... at????????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subscribed to the forum just to see how this goes. I'm needing a people hauler vehicle, and this interests me for the fact that you can have a more power motor in a little van.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Any update on this project?

61 - 80 of 87 Posts