Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've always thought these little vans were cool as hell. I can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Been a while since an update.

The clutch pedal from the ST was installed into the TC a couple weeks ago. It perfectly transferred over with no fabrication needed at all. They make the TC with a 6MT in Europe, so the hydraulic line cutout in the firewall was already there as were the bolt holes.

TC with clutch pedal1.jpg

This week they pulled the center consoles out of both vehicles to see about shifter mounting.

The ST center console fits fairly well in the TC, it turns out, and the weird e-brake mounts right up as well.

ST consol inside TC2.jpg

Obviously some fabrication will be needed to pretty that up, but as far as mechanical operation, it will work there. So that's a backup option. My preference is to have the shifter installed the same place it is in the European TCs with 6 speed transmissions, like so:

UK EXAMPLE MANUAL TC.png

I like the van-ness of it coming out of the dashboard rather than from the floor like in the ST, and also it will be cleaner since the original center console would be able to stay without visible modification. Vaccar will be talking to some UK Ford people next week to see what we'd need to order to make that work and we'll make a decision after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It was a bit of work, but I found a UK parts supplier that understood what I was doing and will sell me the OEM TC shifter assembly and cables to get the shifter in the right spot. FordpartsUK.com is the spot - very helpful. The order has been placed, and it will unfortunately be about 2-3 weeks to get across the ocean. The cost was actually not too bad. That's the benefit of doing this on a Ford economy platform for sure.

Here's a picture with all three pedals from the FoST installed in the TC, by the way.

2017051695183634_zpsaw31kgat.jpg

The MFactory LSD is also installed. They also took the opportunity to take a look at the clutch to make sure it was in good shape before the motor and trans get put into the TC. It's a Spec clutch, which we knew, but sent some pictures to Spec and they said it's a stage 3+. I also have their flywheel, so it's a ~$1,100 package that is just broken in. It's a much more aggressive clutch than I would have chosen myself, but Vaccar said when they test drove the FoST before the engine came out it didn't chatter or feel super crazy, so I'm going to stick with it for now. If I just can't live with it, I'll swap it out later and sell it.

20170516_131037_resized_zpsluuyx5gc.jpg

In the meantime while we're waiting for the shifter stuff to come from the UK, they'll start installing the engine and transmission into the TC and then move to the wiring harness. Recaro front seats and steering wheel are also items to work on while we wait.

·
Super Moderator
7,137 Posts
It was a bit of work, but I found a UK parts supplier that understood what I was doing and will sell me the OEM TC shifter assembly and cables to get the shifter in the right spot. FordpartsUK.com is the spot - very helpful. The order has been placed, and it will unfortunately be about 2-3 weeks to get across the ocean. The cost was actually not too bad. That's the benefit of doing this on a Ford economy platform for sure.

Here's a picture with all three pedals from the FoST installed in the TC, by the way.

View attachment 241578

The MFactory LSD is also installed. They also took the opportunity to take a look at the clutch to make sure it was in good shape before the motor and trans get put into the TC. It's a Spec clutch, which we knew, but sent some pictures to Spec and they said it's a stage 3+. I also have their flywheel, so it's a ~$1,100 package that is just broken in. It's a much more aggressive clutch than I would have chosen myself, but Vaccar said when they test drove the FoST before the engine came out it didn't chatter or feel super crazy, so I'm going to stick with it for now. If I just can't live with it, I'll swap it out later and sell it.

View attachment 241586

In the meantime while we're waiting for the shifter stuff to come from the UK, they'll start installing the engine and transmission into the TC and then move to the wiring harness. Recaro front seats and steering wheel are also items to work on while we wait.
Recaros in a Transit connect, That will turn some heads, lol!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
A big update today - the ST motor is in the TC. It is bolted up to the engine mounts and everything. The clutch lines were hooked up, but that's all so far - no electrical or driveshafts or anything. As expected, it bolted right in. But, you never know until it actually gets done and as far as I have been able to find, this is the first time it's ever been done.

TC-ST install4.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
A big update today - the ST motor is in the TC. It is bolted up to the engine mounts and everything. The clutch lines were hooked up, but that's all so far - no electrical or driveshafts or anything. As expected, it bolted right in. But, you never know until it actually gets done and as far as I have been able to find, this is the first time it's ever been done.

View attachment 242961
Told you it would

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Following this thread! Beautiful work so far. I'm very excited to see how the rest of your project goes.

My next daily driver will likely be a TC LWB as it checks every box besides the fact that its missing a pedal.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I may have found a potential issue with the Focus gas pedal in the TC. I just completed the install of the pedals in mine, and I compared the Focus pedal with the original Transit pedal, and while it does bolt in and plug in, the shape of the pedal arm is very different. The transit pedal arm is straighter, longer, and is more elevated than the Focus one. This became very obvious when I put the gas pedal in next to the original brake pedal. The height difference was massive.

My concern is that with the focus pedal being more curved, it almost feels like the pedal arm hits the floorboard before the end of the pedal travel, therefore restricting the total throttle to a point where you can't be at WOT.

I believe a pedal spacer (which there are many to choose from) would resolve this, but I won't know until I do it.

Have you taken any measurements on this?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts