Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post, I appreciate you guys letting me vent off some steam.
I've lurked on here a bit here and there, as I have been planning to buy a Focus ST as my next car. The purchase date got pushed back a year ago as I picked up a nice used car that I like for next to nothing figuring I'd drive it for a year or so and then get my Focus ST. I do find the ST to be rather expensive for a four cylinder, stick shift car, but I like it. Well there was only ONE color I would consider in my ST, with only ONE interior that I would consider. I wanted Tangerine Scream with the matching accents on the Recaro seats. I was planning on ordering a new one, as it is impossible to find one equipped the way I want anywhere around here.

Ford has removed both of these options for the new 2017 cars. Now the closest I can get is yellow with grey seat accents. No thanks, not in any way interested.

I've considered the Fiest ST, I REALLY like the orange with the matching interior accents, but it is just so small.

For the price of a Focus ST, I can buy a Mustang. For the price of a well equipped Focus ST, I can buy a Mustang GT. So, even though I would like something with more cargo space, with more doors and more seating, and better mileage, I am looking at Mustangs.

Shoot, now I don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
Honestly you may want the gray seats because I have heard from a lot of people on the Forum have issues with the TS becoming dirty very quickly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
10-1 someone would trade you. Might take a while but there could be someone who has the TS but doesn't want the seats. My first ST was TS and one of the reasons I went with the more expensive ST3 was the ST2 yellow seats - I didn't like them at all.

Welcome!

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're basing your car decision on a color?? The mustang doesn't come in TS either. Just go find a 2016 with TS and full black interior and don't worry about the lack of matching interior accents.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Hey guys, first post, I appreciate you guys letting me vent off some steam.
I've lurked on here a bit here and there, as I have been planning to buy a Focus ST as my next car. The purchase date got pushed back a year ago as I picked up a nice used car that I like for next to nothing figuring I'd drive it for a year or so and then get my Focus ST. I do find the ST to be rather expensive for a four cylinder, stick shift car, but I like it. Well there was only ONE color I would consider in my ST, with only ONE interior that I would consider. I wanted Tangerine Scream with the matching accents on the Recaro seats. I was planning on ordering a new one, as it is impossible to find one equipped the way I want anywhere around here.

Ford has removed both of these options for the new 2017 cars. Now the closest I can get is yellow with grey seat accents. No thanks, not in any way interested.

I've considered the Fiest ST, I REALLY like the orange with the matching interior accents, but it is just so small.

For the price of a Focus ST, I can buy a Mustang. For the price of a well equipped Focus ST, I can buy a Mustang GT. So, even though I would like something with more cargo space, with more doors and more seating, and better mileage, I am looking at Mustangs.

Shoot, now I don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Yeah maybe a used Mustang GT for the price of a new Focus ST, but not a new one. Now if you said you could get a Mustang GT for the price of a Focus RS i'd believe it as the RS is closer in price to a GT Premium or GT with performance package.

Just buy a yellow or tangerine scream ST and find someone to trade you the yellow insert recaros if that's the car you really wanted.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
My #1 pick would have been Performance Blue ST2 but they took that color away, so I had to settle for Race Red. Not disappointed, but bright blue blue is my jam. Sonic Blue is one of my all time favorite colors, mm Lightnings and Cobras. Kona blue sucks compared to Performance, I'm personally not into darker colors(non greyscale, because black and Magnetic Metallic, especially MM) but if I want color I want it loud.

Reactions: AK2112

·
Registered
314 Posts
It was never your focus st, stop acting entitled. They removed some options on a focus st you wanted to buy.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It was never your focus st, stop acting entitled. They removed some options on a focus st you wanted to buy.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Well that was a bit much...

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is a good example of why you always run the risk of not being able to get what you want by waiting. Colors and specific options can come and go, if you like something in particular it is best to jump on it and get it. Last year I wanted an ST3 in Race Red and there were three available within 100 miles, today there are none and there haven't been any for months. I could have always ordered one but you usually won't get the best price by doing that. The car business is dynamic and is always changing so if you see something you like, get it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Why not find a previously loved TS ST? There is bound to be someone somewhere that is ready to sell one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I feel better now that I have located some TS models. They are all 5 to 10 hours away, but at least I found some.
I did not mean to sound entitled, of course I understand that they have to offer what sells, not what I like.
I hadn't even considered the TS accents getting dirty, but then again I don't drive my car when dirty and don't allow any food or drink in my car except water.
Yes, color is VERY important to me. I'm not going to spend this amount of money on something I didn't really want. Much of the car's personality comes from it's colors.

I don't buy new cars very often, as I don't have enough money to buy one outright and I hate to finance anything (except the house). School tuition is our biggest expense so when we buy a brand-new car we keep it for 8-12 years. Sorry guys, but I can't "jump on" every new car that I like. I was not ready for a new car at the time, I was planning on buying something in early 2017. I just thought the color would be around longer.

As far as getting a used ST, I haven't seen one offered at a price that I felt was worth buying a car that someone else likely drove the crap out of. Not to mention higher interest rates and less warranty than a new car. Most of the ST's I've seen from private sellers were "just trying to get what they owed" for their cars. I say they either didn't put enough down, paid too much, or likely, both.

I decided that the Mustang is not going to work. The trunk is just too small, among other things. Damn, they are good looking! But yes, you can get a GT in the high $20,000 range, which is where many Focus ST's are.

I also did not mean to imply that other colors are not as good as TS, it's just my favorite. I would LOVE an orange color with matching interior accents, like the Fiesta ST. Funny though, I wouldn't choose TS on a Mustang. I would want something a little more old-school on a Mustang.
Thanks for letting me vent guys. I can see that their are some good people on here who want to help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So what is the game plan now? Going after one of the remaining TS's, or settling on another color, or maybe forgoing the ST at all? I know how important color can be, I was dead certain I wanted red for the three cars I was considering (VW, Subaru and Ford) and luckily all three had good strong red colors. Other people like white, magnetic, black or Tangerine Scream, it just depends on what you like. It is your car so you should get what you want.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yeah maybe a used Mustang GT for the price of a new Focus ST, but not a new one. Now if you said you could get a Mustang GT for the price of a Focus RS i'd believe it as the RS is closer in price to a GT Premium or GT with performance package.

Just buy a yellow or tangerine scream ST and find someone to trade you the yellow insert recaros if that's the car you really wanted.
A base GT with performance package can be had for $35000 OTD

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
A base GT with performance package can be had for $35000 OTD
Yes, but 35k is a far cry from the 20-25k OTD for a base ST, hence my point of saying that if you were arguing that an RS costs as much as a Mustang GT I'd believe it, but there is closer to a 7-10k delta between the OTD price of a new base GT Performance Package and the Focus ST with current incentives assuming equal sales tax rates

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you get a ST with the Tangerine seats don't get in it with blue jeans on or cover the seat. Blue dye transfer from the jeans rubbing on the Tangerine seats was the biggest problem owners reported. I wanted the Tangerine seats at first but to get the HID headlights I had to get the ST3 with the black full leather seats, after I had it for a few weeks I read about the blue stains on the Tangerine panels and was happy that I have the all black seats because I ware jeans most of the time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We don't even get the "ST1" or "ST2" trims up here, you get your full leather recaros or you get nothing :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
%'m going after one of the remaining 2016 TS cars. I hadn't thought about the blue jeans thing, good thing I only wear them once or twice a year.
What's killing me right now is the SALES TAX. Our sales tax rate is 9.75%, one of the highest in the nation. I should have saved up more of a down payment or moved to a different state.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts