Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
It should be noted that the oil spec referenced in the owners manual differs in certain years. Some years specify oil spec WSS-M2C946-A, My car is a 2017, and the manual specifies
WSS-M2C913-C . I am wondering where it states the 10,000 mile change interval in the manual. I read comments in other threads where 7,500 miles was stated (so that is where I got that figure when stated previously). Can anyone point me to the proper section? Just curious if my 2017 manual has it too.
I just checked and the 13's call out 7500 Mi, but the models after that call out 10k. I wonder what changed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is a pic of pg 29 of my ST Supplemental Manual. It calls for WSS-M2C913-C spec oil. Exxon/Mobil for one does not support that spec, but they say that for a 2017 Focus ST the oil spec that they have on file (and they meet/exceed) is WSS-M2C946-A. I called my local Ford dealership, and they agreed, and said that the oil spec printed in my Supplemental Manual is incorrect if it reads "WSS-M2C913-C", since their records agree with Exxon/Mobil's response (which for warranty purposes is all that matters). Well- that's good to know that I can use WSS-M2C946-A spec oil (which is much more widely available).

Sorry if this gets into the details a bit too much for people's liking. I am a chemist, and work in the nuclear industry, so I live and work in the spec world.
wss-m2c913-c.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is true that an FL400 is $3, but synthetic oil that meets WSS-M2C913-C is pretty pricy (as far as I know, it's either Ford's Motorspot Synthetic oil ($8.50 per quart), or Royal Purple ($6.50 per quart). I wish I could use Mobil One synthetic, but I actually called ExxonMobil customer service and asked about the M2C913-C spec, and they told me that the latest oil spec for a Ford Focus St in their records is the M2C946-A spec.
I use Pennzoil platinum. Or if I have amsoil in stock when I need it.

Who uses the purple crap? I thought everyone knew supertech is a better oil?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I only mentioned Royal Purple because it is one of two available oil products that meets the WSS-M2C913-C spec I thought I had to try to appease if I wanted my warranty intact. It turns out (according to my local Ford Dealership's Service department) that my owners manual references the wrong oil spec, and should read WSS-M2C946-A . I'll be using Mobil One synthetic for now on, because I've used it with most of the other cars that I have owned over the past 15 years, and have never had a problem (even doing track events and autocrosses).

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
What the heck are y’all whining about...reset the oil indicator (correctly) when you change it, and change it again when it comes back on...sheesh.

there is no “hard and fast” rule, even in your owners manual it varies...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I only mentioned Royal Purple because it is one of two available oil products that meets the WSS-M2C913-C spec I thought I had to try to appease if I wanted my warranty intact. It turns out (according to my local Ford Dealership's Service department) that my owners manual references the wrong oil spec, and should read WSS-M2C946-A . I'll be using Mobil One synthetic for now on, because I've used it with most of the other cars that I have owned over the past 15 years, and have never had a problem (even doing track events and autocrosses).
@Mzdrati

Thanks for "doing the research" on the Ford specs . . . it's good to know that at some point I could flip to Mobil1 and be "safe" in regards to warranty criterion. Hilarious that Ford provides the wrong specs in the manual, but over the phone somebody will say, "that's wrong" . . . and seemingly not be worried about "termination" . . . .

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I am a 10k guy myself, it’s also easy to keep track of...and I have seen enough Blackstone lab results over my years to be VERY comfortable with that, as long as we are talking a brand name, fully synthetic oil of course 😬

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm thinking now that I'm going to do either 5500 or 6000 between oil changes . . . a little bit more than the "5K" dealer recommended service, but comfortably well inside the "10K" "glass ceiling" "outer limits" of the recommended service schedule . . . . 10K is almost 11K . . . and that I believe is a tad bit too chintzy, even for me.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
lol @ 10k is almost 11k 🤦🏻‍♂️

to each his own, but my service light comes on between 9 and 10 😎

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I've been using Motorcraft Full Synth but Im switching to Castrol Edge next change!

Reactions: theBluFlash

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
hmm i thought the castrol edge was specd WSS-M2C946-A but i guess not so looks like i will not be using it for warranty purposes.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is an advanced full synthetic engine oil suitable for use in automotive petrol and dieselvehicles where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA A3/B4, API SL or earlier specification 5W-30 lubricant.
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 is approved for use in vehicles from leading manufacturers, please refer to the productperformance section and your owner’s handbook

• For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
  • Advanced premium full synthetic motor oil to offer strength under extreme pressure
  • Titanium strong for maximum engine performance
  • Reduces metal-to-metal contact across a range of different driving speeds
  • Protects the engine for the entire drain interval even under extreme pressure
  • Decreases engine deposit formation to help maximize engine response
  • Best full synthetic money can buy

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/FB5225B0914090678025837600068406/$File/CASTROL EDGE_5W-30 A3B4_3374731_2014_01.pdf

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@20focusSTdriver17

I think I was using Castrol Edge "hi mileage" for my wife's old Audi TT . . . seemed reasonably priced going into a very high mileage vehicle . . . . Castrol used to be "the kind" . . . maybe it still is??

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man I need to get paid for hawking oil on here lol.

If you're worried about price, just throw this in your car every 5k miles, don't push it past 5k: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5VJFBF

It's cheap, and tons of people swear it's same quality as Mobile 1. You can also find the FL400 on sale pretty regular, I stocked up on 6 of them @ $1.50 each awhile back. Don't ever skimp on oil changes, whatever the manual (or oil change indicator) says.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you want to change oil sooner than when the car tells you to, it won't hurt anything, as long as you don't go to a quick change place that doesn't put the plug back correctly. Personally, I just follow what the car says, which is about 10,000 miles on my 18, and always take it to the dealer so they have records in case anything breaks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you want to change oil sooner than when the car tells you to, it won't hurt anything, as long as you don't go to a quick change place that doesn't put the plug back correctly. Personally, I just follow what the car says, which is about 10,000 miles on my 18, and always take it to the dealer so they have records in case anything breaks.
@Timcredible

Thanks for the post . . . part of my problem as I'm entering into my "senior" years . . . I've stop listening to others, especially my car . . . . My car should be listening to me and anticipating my wants and desires . . . etc. : - ))

But, cool, that supports the notion that 10K is an acceptable ceiling guideline . . . based upon my "mixed" use, stop-go city traffic with longer freeway runs it's a bit of a question as to what is "prudent" interval for me.

I tend to err on the "sooner is better" side for oil changes . . . my post was mostly about the quality and life fortitude of the Ford full synthetic oil, which I think I'm on the first round of right now. Before I used the Ford semi-synthetic and I saw some posts here on the forum where the gents weren't being too positive about the semi-synth product . . . .

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST (ST2 package)
5 Posts
Question on the Ford full synthetic motor oil, as my car is still under warranty I'm still doing services at the dealer where I bought my '18 ST1 . . . think I just passed 14989 miles. The dealer showed the next service interval for 5K which would be due in another thousand at 15989+- from when I did the oil/400S??? filter and tire rotation change. I'm thinking that they will try to sell me a full set of OEM wipers then as well, since the wipers show a little smudging, i.e., not crystal clear.

In my bikes I have run Motul Unobtanium full synth and since I baby my machines I ran them to 7500 miles between oil changes, although some LD guys will do 10K . . . I'm in LA with the stop and the go traffic on surface or freeway.

So, I had been planning to push the Ford full synth oil change up beyond 5K . . . meaning the tire rotation would also run over 5K . . . but then I had the realization, "maybe the Ford product doesn't provide the same life that Motul does, and that going to 5k on the oem oil would be pushing it already???" I realize that the computer might tell me when it's past time, but I'd rather keep the oil on the fresher side . . . without wasting too much of my time or money on it. I like the smoothness of engine running that full synth provides, I think I ran it up to 10K on dino . . . but now I'm wondering whether following the 5K dealer interval for Ford full synthetic oil/filter services is prudent, or forget about it until the dash light tells me, "your oil has been toasted, change it yesterday . . . it's gone." ????
Are you sure you are getting a FULL synthetic oil? I have a 17 model that came with the Ford service contract. My previous oil change was the last free one. They said that with that service contract I only got the synthetic blend. I was not enthusiastic about that. I would have preferred a full synthetic, but they were free. I am currently at 35k miles on the car. When the Motorcraft synthetic blend nears the 5k miles, it does begin to look dirty and I am sure it's at the end of its life cycle. Also, though hard to prove due to the variations of many conditions; it seems to have a higher oil temperature. I plan on doing future oil changes myself. I have used Amsoil in my 2008 Dodge/Cummins diesel truck with no disappointment. I plan on using the Amsoil XL series for future oil changes. I sure many comments will come about the expensive oil. But this is what I like about Amsoil. They offer 3 levels of protection: OE, XL (which is good for 12k miles) and Signature (25k miles). For you I would use the OE or XL series and continue with 5k oil changes until you at least get past any warranty time or miles. If you look at the Amsoil site you are able to look at the Technical specifications under the Data Bullitens. You can also save $$ when you shop as a Preferred customer and place an order of $100 or more. I also like that Amsoil is an American oil company; made in Wisconsin and was started by a Vietnam Veteran. Now it is run by his family. I have been using Amsoil on my truck and other vehicles. Even my kids 2013 Dodge Dart GT 2.4. None of them have had oil consumption issues; which there are plenty of complaints about the 2.4. I have over 200k miles on my truck and have done a couple oil test which have come back good; even with 10k mile oil change intervals.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts