Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I don't always remember this being an issue, but I noticed over the past couple months that when I receive a text while driving that after the little text notification screen goes away it makes the text message received icon disappear on my Android basically showing it as "read" instead of leaving the notification icon to let me know I have unread texts. I can't always listen to my texts or read them while driving and this has lead me to forget I even received a text sometimes.

Is this due to some recent Sync updates or is it an Android thing? Any advice would be great.

15' ST1
LG G6

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been having this same issue. I could have sworn that it didn't used to do this. Hopefully somebody has a solution.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been having this same issue. I could have sworn that it didn't used to do this. Hopefully somebody has a solution.
My buddy has a C-Max and this happens on his phone and his wifes. We all have Android.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Yup. Same thing. Android receives the signal from Sync that the message was "read" (since it was potentially "read" if you had clicked the listen button) and declares it as read in your phone.

Edit: Basically, the phone gets the signal that the text has gone to sync and sync takes over from that point. So whether or not you click listen doesn't get transmitted back to the phone..the only thing transmitted to the phone is the fact Sync received it. So since Android doesn't have programming for this feature to work hand-in-hand it just sees "Oh, something happened with this text in Sync so it must have been read already" and it sucks REALLY bad. My girlfriend often gets angry at me about this when I don't reply to her question she asked 2 hours ago lmao.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bummer. So is this a Sync/Android problem, or does this affect iphones as well?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Bummer. So is this a Sync/Android problem, or does this affect iphones as well?
I've never hooked the girlfriend's iPhone up to test, but I'm curious for someone who owns one to chime in. I know there are iPhone owners here.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure if this is the same, but I have a 16' ST2 with Sync 3 and it never marks my texts as read. I have an iPhone 7 plus. If I tap the listen function it will mark it as read though. But if I leave it alone, the message still shows unread. It may just be an android thing.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Not sure if this is the same, but I have a 16' ST2 with Sync 3 and it never marks my texts as read. I have an iPhone 7 plus. If I tap the listen function it will mark it as read though. But if I leave it alone, the message still shows unread. It may just be an android thing.
The only variation here that could mess this up is the fact you have Sync 3 and I have Sync 2. Any Sync 2 iPhone users?

·
Registered
558 Posts
This is the behavior that I've noticed.

Sync 3 and iPhone 6S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I don't always remember this being an issue, but I noticed over the past couple months that when I receive a text while driving that after the little text notification screen goes away it makes the text message received icon disappear on my Android basically showing it as "read" instead of leaving the notification icon to let me know I have unread texts. I can't always listen to my texts or read them while driving and this has lead me to forget I even received a text sometimes.

Is this due to some recent Sync updates or is it an Android thing? Any advice would be great.

15' ST1
LG G6

Hey everyone!
If you go into the bluetooth settings on your phone and click on the setting button where SYNC shows up you should be able to turn off Messaging Access and that should stop SYNC from leaving your texts as read on your phone.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have sync 2 and I started noticing this issue with iOS13 on the iphone. Basically, when a new text comes in, it is pushed to Sync from the phone and whether or not I check it on the car, it is marked as read on the phone.
On my old phone, when a new text is received and pushed to the car, it still remains as unread on the phone until I open the message on the phone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think this is an application issue, not an OS issue.

On my Android phone, the Android "Messages" app marks all inbound messages read the way you describe. But Google Voice and What's App messages aren't marked read unless you listen to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have sync 2 and I started noticing this issue with iOS13 on the iphone. Basically, when a new text comes in, it is pushed to Sync from the phone and whether or not I check it on the car, it is marked as read on the phone.
On my old phone, when a new text is received and pushed to the car, it still remains as unread on the phone until I open the message on the phone.
I'm experiencing this as well since updating to ios13, hope someone comes up with an answer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Sync 2 and have the same issue since updating my iPhone to iOS 13; so frustrating, has anyone found a fix yet?
I deleted SYNC and reconnected. It doesn't alert me even though I have the option selected. It was not checking them though. I had five come through and they all stayed unchecked. I'll take it for now. I've missed way too many texts because of this problem.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium SYNC 2 iOS 13.3

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have sync 2 and an iphone 8+ with ios 13.6 and it gives me the same problem . It’ll show up on the car screen (i ignore it) and on my phone it’s marked as “read”. It’s frustrating because i don’t think to look at my messages . any solutions???

2016 Ford Fusion Se

1 - 18 of 18 Posts