Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
The guys at Speed Perf6rmanc3 have developed one of a kind customs for the Mazdaspeed 2.3 DISI engine which have provided amazing performance and combustion quality.

I have no doubt they will develop a piston for the Eco Boost motor to optimize combustion and power.

Can't wait to start tuning all these new parts :)

· Registered
3,616 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Really interested to hear about the cams and porting. Could really liven up the eb even on stock turbo

· Registered
548 Posts
Really?? Why would they reveal their source?
Because I would like to know what type of material is being used on the pistons. It's not a "I want to reveal this to the entire planet so they can't make money" as most piston manufacturers will not sell a custom piston or rod to anyone else but the company who had it developed.
It's the simple fact that pistons, while machined in somewhat of the same ways, are not all created equal.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Why wouldn't they? If they actually own the IP that went into them they would have no concerns about sales that weren't through them...

tappin
I just wouldn't ask but maybe it is reasonable to ask. Just figured it was proprietary info. and wouldn't serve their interests to cut them out.
Because I would like to know what type of material is being used on the pistons. It's not a "I want to reveal this to the entire planet so they can't make money" as most piston manufacturers will not sell a custom piston or rod to anyone else but the company who had it developed.
It's the simple fact that pistons, while machined in somewhat of the same ways, are not all created equal.
I would like to know the material also and that's a perfectly reasonable question. Asking who the supplier is does answer that.

But like I said above, maybe it's reasonable considering Mountune revealed their supplier though Mountune owns that design.

I'd be curious to know what went into the design of these.

Reactions: burning eagle

· Registered
548 Posts
I just wouldn't ask but maybe it is reasonable to ask. Just figured it was proprietary info. and wouldn't serve their interests to cut them out. I would like to know the material also and that's a perfectly reasonable question. Asking who the supplier is does answer that. But like I said above, maybe it's reasonable considering Mountune revealed their supplier though Mountune owns that design. I'd be curious to know what went into the design of these.
It is proprietary information, but nothing is shared with anyone else but the business or person who has them made. Getting whom the supplier(s) may be does tell you a lot about what the product may be made out of as from there a individual can research the product/brand further.

I am not bashing anyone, and certainly not SP as they are great guys whom know what they're doing and I have met with them personally at SEMA last year. I know how certain things works as I have a little bit of time invested into this industry and do my research like anyone else would do.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Who are you having make the rods and pistons?
We have a few manufacturers who are/are going to be making both of these items for us. Right now Wiseco is making our pistons and Pauter will be making the rods. We are exploring other companies as well which should hopefully drive the price down a little.

Happy to see the Speed6 guys putting a forged option together. We are already seeing the pistons have a tendency to crack so these kind of options are necessary. I am also very interested in the porting work and research you are doing on the head.
We are currently porting and flow benching all of what we do so that we have factual data to back it up. There is a lot of room for improvement on this head and we are very excited to see some serious numbers come out of it.

We will be making both a 2618 and 4032 piston for those people who are looking for a more mild DD street setup and also for those looking to make big power.

Well if we go with a big displacement build or break ours I'd be interested in

tappin
We are already hard at work on a 2.3/2.4L and are developing it at the same time as our 2.0L because we think it will be a very popular option for people. There's no reason not to go bigger really and it will help make some more usable power under the curve.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Awesome, you engraved the stock rods.. :p

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.