Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sisters purchased her new 2013 Focus Titanium probably 3 weeks after I did at the same dealership. Fast forward to about 2 years ago she started have the notorious auto trans issues. She's had to go to the dealership numerous times for the ecu re-flash of the trans and then finally earlier 2017 her trans went out so they ended up servicing it. Keep in mind this was before 34,000 miles the trans went out. Well December of last year at 34,000 miles her car started misfiring and she brought it in. They said the #1 plug was fouled and noted the engine was overfilled by .5 qt of oil. I don't really believe this as she said her friend and her drained the oil and replaced the filter and even took a picture and showed me her 5 qt just she used still had over .5 qt of oil in it. Whether or not the repair was really justified or if it was just a bad plug I couldn't do much as she's over 8 hours away.

Unfortunately where she lives, she doesn't have access to many Ford dealerships and I believe she only has two choices. She called me up and told me the check engine light turned on. I said drive it to Autozone and get me the code. The code she gave me was P0420 which for those that don't know indicates Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. I told her it was likely a bad O2 sensor or faulty catalytic converter. I recommended she bring it to Ford as the Cat is covered for 5 years 80k miles. She drove it to the Ford Dealership and paid to have the service department diagnose it. The service department told her it was a faulty evap purge solenoid and the bill would be $300. She said ok and the service guys swapped the evap purge solenoid, which I told her to make sure she got the old part.

Now later that night she calls me back and informed me her check engine light came back on. She took it back to Ford and now they say it was her catalytic converter and they'll order one and swap it out under warranty. I tell her to make sure she gets Ford to refund her for yesterday because nothing they did actually pertained to the issue. Not only did they swap a part that wasn't defective and billed her for the part and labor, they also diagnosed it improperly. All the tech had to do was look at the front O2 sensor and rear O2 sensor readings when in closed loop and that would have told him the Cat was bad. I think this dealership just looked up the error code P0420 in the Ford system and saw a TSB which I'll also post below. The tech that did this work obviously is unqualified or was too lazy to read the actual VCM II data.

P0420 (From an Actual Ford Tech that knows how to diagnose)
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0420_ford.html

TSB used by Improper Ford Tech for Diagnosis

http://www.focusst.org/forum/attach...focus-st-model-year-13-present-tsb15-0034.pdf

Not only does it irritate the hell out of me that the dealership wouldn't refund her anything on the bill, they also charged her a $27.36 environmental fee. What the hell does this fee cover during her repair. Theirs no fluid changes at all. If the dealership had a $5 service charge for paper towels or sprays it's one thing but that is literally basically 10% fee of her part/labor fee just tacked on. Not to mention look at her two different bills and look at the difference in environmental fees, and this repair didn't have anything environmentally related. The last repair they actually used an intake cleaner. Not to mention the bills are horrible in that they don't have an individual diagnosis fee and where the hell is the billable hours or hourly rate. This is probably the worst broken down bill I've ever seen. I guess I need to give them a little credit, they at least have the part cost.:yawn:

Ford is Responsible for the complete repair as the diagnosis of the faulty part being the catalytic converter is Ford's responsibility under warranty. I'm going to post her receipts of all the recent repairs she had done. My sister has only ever purchased Ford vehicles and things like this is a horrible way to retain a customer and she even mentioned she seriously considering never purchasing a Ford again. A lot of people just get upset and don't do anything, but I'm not one of those people that just roll over. The dealership will be getting a drafted statement from an attorney in the next 2 weeks if this isn't dealt with to her and my liking. We'll see if Ford or the Dealership will do the right and honorable thing. One great thing about social media is it helps to hold companies accountable.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
Place to get her money back is SMALL CLAIMS COURT.
Even better, find a way to get it on Judge Judy.
Here we have a TV station which does small stuff with rip offs. They would certainly do this rip off.
Publicizing it on TV usually will make the dealership beg to give back the money.
A start would be a certified letter explaining the course of action you plan on, giving them a chance to keep
the embarrassment to them and their business private, and a promise to move forward if they do not refund the money.
Call the local better business bureau and file a report. That alone may get them to respond.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Place to get her money back is SMALL CLAIMS COURT.
Even better, find a way to get it on Judge Judy.
Here we have a TV station which does small stuff with rip offs. They would certainly do this rip off.
Publicizing it on TV usually will make the dealership beg to give back the money.
A start would be a certified letter explaining the course of action you plan on, giving them a chance to keep
the embarrassment to them and their business private, and a promise to move forward if they do not refund the money.
Call the local better business bureau and file a report. That alone may get them to respond.

Yeah, the dealership failed in numerous ways here and honestly I think taking advantage of my sister. I'll be chatting monday with them, and depending on how that's handle this may end up on Reddit and Jalopnik.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Yeah, the dealership failed in numerous ways here and honestly I think taking advantage of my sister. I'll be chatting monday with them, and depending on how that's handle this may end up on Reddit and Jalopnik.
Make sure to google review too, that's what most people see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts