Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
See this thread: Look out for Sound Symposer Update

Ford is fixing that.
So is this an update we can get from the dealer still or will the update have to come from FRPP since we already have a modified ECU? Just thinking if the dealer does it then it will set all the parameters to the new baseline and the FRPP changes will be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Can I be ignorant and dumb this down, is it worth the $700 bucks?
I think so. I'm really enjoying mine so far. Unfortunately I don't have a drag strip nearby, but I do have some really nice hill climbs that I've ran a lot in stock form so I know what the car would do flat out to certain points up the run. As soon as it dries up I'll test it out and see if I picked up any speed. I'm betting that I have.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think so. I'm really enjoying mine so far. Unfortunately I don't have a drag strip nearby, but I do have some really nice hill climbs that I've ran a lot in stock form so I know what the car would do flat out to certain points up the run. As soon as it dries up I'll test it out and see if I picked up any speed. I'm betting that I have.
Thanks and please let me know, also - any sound difference with the new filter and tune, does it growl louder during WOT?

I have about $1500 saved up for mods, I intend to update the wheels to the FR all matte black 5 spoke, the stock rims to me are not pretty. Was thinking about this mod as well for performance, but for my money looks are more important. TB 2013 ST3.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks and please let me know, also - any sound difference with the new filter and tune, does it growl louder during WOT?

I have about $1500 saved up for mods, I intend to update the wheels to the FR all matte black 5 spoke, the stock rims to me are not pretty. Was thinking about this mod as well for performance, but for my money looks are more important. TB 2013 ST3.
I'm running a MagnaFlow exhaust and it is a bit more aggressive than it was, including a little bit of popping when it comes off a load. The popping is new. This is a pleasant surprise as I've always been a fan of that type of sound. I'm also running with an open air box now. The thing really sucks some air and adds a nice contrast in between gear changes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So is this an update we can get from the dealer still or will the update have to come from FRPP since we already have a modified ECU? Just thinking if the dealer does it then it will set all the parameters to the new baseline and the FRPP changes will be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our new calibration already has the symposer update in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this done at my local dealership and the off-idle throttle response is improved. Gobs of torque but yeah, it's not a HP monster.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hit 248hp 354ft/lbs on 92 octane. Mustang dyno, Ford Racing tune 1.1 , k&n filter, and itv 24 plugs.Nice linear lines. The k03 will never be a HP monster, probably 300hp tops fully bolted if you are lucky.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I hit 248hp 354ft/lbs on 92 octane. Mustang dyno, Ford Racing tune 1.1 , k&n filter, and itv 24 plugs.Nice linear lines. The k03 will never be a HP monster, probably 300hp tops fully bolted if you are lucky.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Looks nearly identical to NightCrawler's V1.1. Impressive. JP

·
Registered
12 Posts
The FRPP tune is not backed by Ford and voids your powertrain warranty from the factory. Yet, in order to give peace of mind to their customers, Ford Racing offers a liked warranty that mimics the factory warranty. It will only cover a max of 8k in repairs, 36k miles or 3 years, and a long list of other limitations. Also of particular note is the warranty disclaimer quoted below.

Should any parts contained within this catalog prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, shall assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing and/or repair. The entire risk as to the performance of such parts or vehicles is with the buyer.

I bought this last night and am considering getting a refund before it is shipped. I dunno about this.. so if the part is defective and causes any damage at all to the car, the buyer is responsible for all repairs. WTF is the warranty for then?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The FRPP tune is not backed by Ford and voids your powertrain warranty from the factory. Yet, in order to give peace of mind to their customers, Ford Racing offers a liked warranty that mimics the factory warranty. It will only cover a max of 8k in repairs, 36k miles or 3 years, and a long list of other limitations. Also of particular note is the warranty disclaimer quoted below.

Should any parts contained within this catalog prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, shall assume the entire cost of all necessary servicing and/or repair. The entire risk as to the performance of such parts or vehicles is with the buyer.

I bought this last night and am considering getting a refund before it is shipped. I dunno about this.. so if the part is defective and causes any damage at all to the car, the buyer is responsible for all repairs. WTF is the warranty for then?

That statement is for parts that do not show having warranty in the product description.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Two questions and a comment.

With the Ford Racing Tune, what grade gas do you 'need' to run? Will it run on the cheap stuff like stock?
Am I reading correctly, it only gives one HP?

I called my local Ford dealer. They are not a Ford Racing dealer. They told me to go online and purchase the parts, I would do way better that way. Then bring it to them and they would install it. I asked about plugs and tune and not the rest of the stuff. They quoted me half hour labor to install plugs and tune, so $35 for installation. They told me the tech could start the upload of the tune and do the plugs at the same time.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Two questions and a comment.

With the Ford Racing Tune, what grade gas do you 'need' to run? Will it run on the cheap stuff like stock?
Am I reading correctly, it only gives one HP?

I called my local Ford dealer. They are not a Ford Racing dealer. They told me to go online and purchase the parts, I would do way better that way. Then bring it to them and they would install it. I asked about plugs and tune and not the rest of the stuff. They quoted me half hour labor to install plugs and tune, so $35 for installation. They told me the tech could start the upload of the tune and do the plugs at the same time.
The FRPP calibration requires 91+ octane, no running on 87. And yes the tech can upload with the ProCal and SD card that you'll receive, which takes about 20-25 minutes to upload. They will have to register the tune with FRPP to preserve the warranty offered. I would buy from True Blue Racing If I were you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That statement is for parts that do not show having warranty in the product description.
I think you are right. It's written pretty vaguely as to what it applies to and doesn't directly say that. I must apologize though. The frpp warranty does not void the new car limited warranty, but rather overrides the warranty for any problems caused by the fr part. If a part fault unrelated to the calibration occurred, the factory warranty should cover it.

"Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship, when installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer or Shelby American, Inc, beginning upon dealer installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Racing for the balance of 3 years or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty replaces the existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty for engine, driveline and suspension parts when a concern is triggered by a warranted Ford Racing part. In other words, installation of these select Ford Racing warranted parts by an authorized dealer will not void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All engine, driveline and suspension warranty issues not related to installation of Ford Racing parts remain subject to existing manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got the Ford Racing Tune installed. I had it done by my dealer for $196. That included the Intake (removing of front bumper..ect), ITV24 Cold Plugs, and Procal. If you do the math it is most dealers standard hourly rate. It should only take your dealer about 2-2.5 hours. No more.

If a dealer is jerking your chain, and tells you they can't install it because you did not buy it from them..move on. Find a dealer that can quote you for 2 hours or less.

Of course you can install yourself, but you will not be able to get the overlapped Ford Racing Warranty.

So, thoughts:

COST, before everyone says that the Ford Racing Performance Pack is very expensive. Well, lets be honest. No one is going to pay $800 for this kit. Because you have these choices.

if you purchase from: 2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION, SPARK PLUGS AND COLD AIR INTAKE ($533 shipped)

2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS -- M-14204-FST ($599 shipped)

You can also find group buys on ST Nation or .ORG that are selling for $472 + Shipping) So you do have options to get this tune at a must more affordable price than the MRSP of $800. If you are just looking for the Tune and plugs you can purchase for $433 shipped (Trueblue).

So if you look at it this way. For argument purposes, we will use the COBB intake as our intake.
Ford Racing PPCOBBSCT
FRPP Plugs/Tuner/Intake $533AP v3 $499*SCT X4 $399**
ITV24 $38*ITV24 $38*
Dealer Install $200***COBB Intake $299*COBB Intake $299*
Total Cost Dealer Installed: $733Total Cost: $826Total Cost $736
Variable cost***
*Parts Priced at Edge Autosport
**Parts Priced at Unleashed Tuning
Ford Racing Parts are priced from True Blue

ALSO, I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN BUY THIS USED, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BRNAD NEW PARTS ONLY!!!

Also Another Table without COBB Intake, and with Ford Racing Intake. Remember, numbers with dealer install!!
Ford Racing PPCOBBSCT
FRPP Plugs/Tuner/Intake $533AP v3 $499*SCT X4 $399**
ITV24 $38*ITV24 $38*
Dealer Install $200***FR Intake $175FR Intake $175
Total Cost Dealer Installed: $733Total Cost: $712Total Cost $612

Before I get crucified for making that table, lets be realistic. The Ford Racing Intake Piece counts as a real intake/mod. It actually taps into air coming from the front bumper. Also, I KNOW the COBB intake is a 3 inch pipe with a Green Filter & the Ford Racing one leaves the stock intake. But for a realistic depiction of cost per tune this makes most sense.

If you do not include the cost of dealer install the Ford Racing Performance Pack is $535 shipped to your door. If you consider the table above this is a fairly inexpensive for a tune that doesn't have a 3 inch intake or exhaust system attached it it.

But clearly, this can be the most cost effective tuning Solution.

THE DOWNSIDE:
It is a canned tune. If you are looking for SERIOUS engine power, this will probably get you to Stage 2ish. But, to be realistic, this tune NOT programmed for inter-cooler upgrade. It will probably be able to utilize a FMIC, but not to its full potential.

If you are OK with Stage 1, with no way to get programming for Stage 2 or Stage 3, then this is your tune.

THE UPSIDE
  • Shift light gone
  • More responsive turbo
  • smoother engine idle
  • Flash back to stock when needed
  • 3 year - 36,000K limited warranty (if dealer installed)
  • least expensive tune available
FUN. It puts a simile on your face. The Car just feel ridiculous fast, almost useless in city driving. Its crazy how much faster I have to shift now. The turbo is just..there all the time. I do like it a lot. I am sure once I can have summer tires on the car, the wheel spin will be better.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I'll probably get a Dyno here soon. So stand-by for numbers. If you are curious, the mods to my car are listed in the signature.

I recommend this tune. Definitely worth it, and especially you DD that want to have some kind of warranty.

DYNO RESULTS:
https://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/18694-ford-racing-tune-review-cost-analysis-included-dyno-results-6.html#post361973
I have been going from post to post and and forum to forum looking for someone who has the Ford tune and aftermarket downpipe and FINALLY found someone. Please tell me which downpipe you have with this tune and how the car ran. I am wanting to get a Cobb catted DP and am currently waiting for the Ford tune to be released for the 18 MY.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have been going from post to post and and forum to forum looking for someone who has the Ford tune and aftermarket downpipe and FINALLY found someone. Please tell me which downpipe you have with this tune and how the car ran. I am wanting to get a Cobb catted DP and am currently waiting for the Ford tune to be released for the 18 MY.
I will have dyno results after I get everything installed, just waiting on a few more items to get back in stock & shipped out to me and then i can start installing everything, in the meantine Ill be getting a base dyno run to compare to all my virtual dyno logs.

These are my main power upgrades:

FRPP CAI calibration & plugs kit
Mountune Turbo Back Exhaust (waiting on downpipe to get back in stock)
Mountune FMIC + hoses & hard pipe (waiting on hardpipe backorder)
Mountune Triple Pass Radiator w hoses (waiting on hoses)
RS OEM full intake w Mountune high flow induction elbow
63mm EB 2.3L Throttle Body
Mountune BPV
Heat reflective wrap on everything that needs to stay cool
Turbo blanket

Driveability mods:

Mountune RMM
RS shifter
Mountune quick shift arm
Mountune SS brake lines

81 - 100 of 102 Posts