Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry in advance, not sure of the proper place to post this:

Took delivery today, was supposed to get the full FR1 package installed but they only got the exhaust and plugs done. They ran out of time to do the intake, and did not want to do the tune because the prep team filled it up with 87 the evening before when I was doing the paperwork :-(

Anyway, I am hyper sensitive on keeping the warranty in tact but the service manager does not know how to register everything and provide the documentation to Ford Racing. I know Scott at True Blue took care of registering the VIN so the Pro-Cal could be shipped out to my dealer but my understanding is I need documented proof from the installing dealer to be 100% here. I have done a lot of searching on here and the Ford Racing site, without luck.

BTW, exhaust sounds great. Not too aggressive, just what I was looking for!

-Jason

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
hp and tq scales are off too
Typically the two sides of the graph should be the same scale. This one has a max of 400 on one side and 300 on the other. It really does not matter but hp/tq will not cross at 5252 if the scales are different and if you look at a lot of graphs it looks weird.
My apologies Focus Pilot. I thought you inferred that the results were wrong. I fixed the graphic. Sorry, it is my first time making these. They just gave me the Dyno Run Files...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
its all good!;) now that looks a lot more like the ford racing tune

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thanks. That power loss up top is nasty though. You lost power over stock and its such a dramatic power decrease.

·
Registered
950 Posts
yeah thats quite a decrease from 4900+, i was wanting a tune that is safe, but not sure i could give up top end power.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
yeah thats quite a decrease from 4900+, i was wanting a tune that is safe, but not sure i could give up top end power.
So have we lost an overall top speed or has the power band just lessened to something less than 5500rpm. To be honest...im ok with it. Getting up to speed is more fun than being at top speed. How often are you at 5000rpm plus in 4th gear and beyond. I guess if you live on a race track its understandable.

Sent via Tapatalk using Galaxy Note 2

Reactions: Go Kart

·
Registered
115 Posts
As you can read:

BASE LINE

FRPP

Notes:
The Dyno guy at Livernois said the dip in my curve @ 2800 could be related to a boost leak. So I will be looking into that. He said with more PSI stuff like that shows up at max boost.

COMBINED

It took a few pulls to get it right. It snowed here a few days ago so my tires were not warm, and were wet. The first couple of pulls were a wash because of wheel slip. Once they heated up and were dry, we then started to get good readings.

WTQ Gains: 75.13
WHP Gains: 16.62

More notes
  • Uncorrected
  • Ambient Temp was 41-49F
  • Fuel used: 93 Sunoco

Do you have boost references for this run? Clearly boost is being removed at 5200 rpm as well, I think the initial drop is pretty standard on these ford tunes even from the factory. They seem to allow a boost pike on the initial spool and overcompensate to stabilize it, this results in the immediate power drop. Then they appear to cut it again at 5200. Seems like a sloppy way of doing it. Looking at cobbs ots tunes they don't have these issues. Also your mods don't list an intercooler, so this is on the factory unit?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Thanks. That power loss up top is nasty though. You lost power over stock and its such a dramatic power decrease.
Do you have boost references for this run? Clearly boost is being removed at 5200 rpm as well, I think the initial drop is pretty standard on these ford tunes even from the factory. They seem to allow a boost pike on the initial spool and overcompensate to stabilize it, this results in the immediate power drop. Then they appear to cut it again at 5200. Seems like a sloppy way of doing it. Looking at cobbs ots tunes they don't have these issues. Also your mods don't list an intercooler, so this is on the factory unit?
As I've said, we thought there was a boost leak. Every pull we made had the dip around 2800. Yet on the stock run, it doesn't do that... It makes sense if that is what the issue was

Also, as you all know if catalysis protection is turned on, it dumps fuel into the engine to cool the cats before they overheat. I don't know why Cobb never shows that dip, other than they turned it off or the inter cooler makes big of a difference.

But in this instance that is where the dip came at the top end. It doesn't matter what tune it is, if catalysis protection is turned on, and your cats read inferred temps of 1600+ F, the ecu will attempt the cool them.

So that was my case, on that pull.

Oops, also no boost on that run. We disconnected it, in our search for the boost leak. Earlier runs have it, but they all had wheel slip, so the results are way off.

·
Registered
410 Posts
So have we lost an overall top speed or has the power band just lessened to something less than 5500rpm. To be honest...im ok with it. Getting up to speed is more fun than being at top speed. How often are you at 5000rpm plus in 4th gear and beyond. I guess if you live on a race track its understandable.

Sent via Tapatalk using Galaxy Note 2
ummm

·
Registered
410 Posts
So I had the full FR1 package installed Friday and I'm very pleased with my driving experience so far. Completely different car.

Two questions I have:

1. Boost needle is showing 25 psi when I get on it. Is that BS?

2. If I'm really pushing close to that much boost, is my turbo safe? Do I need any mods for safety? BOV, etc?

I'm am new to this genre of powerplant, so if I said anything stupid, please forgive me in advance. Lol.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Also, as you all know if catalysis protection is turned on, it dumps fuel into the engine to cool the cats before they overheat. I don't know why Cobb never shows that dip, other than they turned it off or the inter cooler makes big of a difference.
I thought the reason Ford said their tune was safe was it keeps the temps from getting too hot...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for your hard work ChadwicksRacing. Looking forward to seeing more graphs from other folks. Im on the dyno April19th. I will get a base run also. I dont think I will have an exhaust by then, so it will be just the tune and CAI.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I thought the reason Ford said their tune was safe was it keeps the temps from getting too hot...
That would be a part of why it was safe, is that they didn't disable the protective loops in the PCM unlike what they say they found in terms of their referenced unnamed competitors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As I've said, we thought there was a boost leak. Every pull we made had the dip around 2800. Yet on the stock run, it doesn't do that... It makes sense if that is what the issue was

But in this instance that is where the dip came at the top end. It doesn't matter what tune it is, if catalysis protection is turned on, and your cats read inferred temps of 1600+ F, the ecu will attempt the cool them.

So that was my case, on that pull.

Oops, also no boost on that run. We disconnected it, in our search for the boost leak. Earlier runs have it, but they all had wheel slip, so the results are way off.
Catalyst protection makes perfect sense but that shouldn't be invoked on every pass only when it infers that the cats temp is approaching 1600. Cobb has proven that fords method of calculating this is very conservative as well and have made their own perimeters for it.

Either way I think this proves that the factory intercooler is insufficient, especially with the FRPP tune, or any tune for that matter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't say anything in this thread has deterred me from installing the Ford tune I have sitting on my shelf. Just need a decent day to put the plugs in and load it up. Seems like it will fit my needs just fine.

Thanks for the feedback and graphs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Anyone else notice their sound symposer beeping at them now? I thought this was only an issue with the new Cobb maps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Anyone else notice their sound symposer beeping at them now? I thought this was only an issue with the new Cobb maps... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same problem and got the new v201 maps from cobb and the issue was fixed. Also fswerks helped me out with a new set of maps for the same cause.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 102 Posts