Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the Ford Racing Tune installed. I had it done by my dealer for $196. That included the Intake (removing of front bumper..ect), ITV24 Cold Plugs, and Procal. If you do the math it is most dealers standard hourly rate. It should only take your dealer about 2-2.5 hours. No more.

If a dealer is jerking your chain, and tells you they can't install it because you did not buy it from them..move on. Find a dealer that can quote you for 2 hours or less.

Of course you can install yourself, but you will not be able to get the overlapped Ford Racing Warranty.

So, thoughts:

COST, before everyone says that the Ford Racing Performance Pack is very expensive. Well, lets be honest. No one is going to pay $800 for this kit. Because you have these choices.

if you purchase from: 2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION, SPARK PLUGS AND COLD AIR INTAKE ($533 shipped)

2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS -- M-14204-FST ($599 shipped)

You can also find group buys on ST Nation or .ORG that are selling for $472 + Shipping) So you do have options to get this tune at a must more affordable price than the MRSP of $800. If you are just looking for the Tune and plugs you can purchase for $433 shipped (Trueblue).

So if you look at it this way. For argument purposes, we will use the COBB intake as our intake.
Ford Racing PPCOBBSCT
FRPP Plugs/Tuner/Intake $533AP v3 $499*SCT X4 $399**
ITV24 $38*ITV24 $38*
Dealer Install $200***COBB Intake $299*COBB Intake $299*
Total Cost Dealer Installed: $733Total Cost: $826Total Cost $736
Variable cost***
*Parts Priced at Edge Autosport
**Parts Priced at Unleashed Tuning
Ford Racing Parts are priced from True Blue

ALSO, I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN BUY THIS USED, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT BRNAD NEW PARTS ONLY!!!

Also Another Table without COBB Intake, and with Ford Racing Intake. Remember, numbers with dealer install!!
Ford Racing PPCOBBSCT
FRPP Plugs/Tuner/Intake $533AP v3 $499*SCT X4 $399**
ITV24 $38*ITV24 $38*
Dealer Install $200***FR Intake $175FR Intake $175
Total Cost Dealer Installed: $733Total Cost: $712Total Cost $612

Before I get crucified for making that table, lets be realistic. The Ford Racing Intake Piece counts as a real intake/mod. It actually taps into air coming from the front bumper. Also, I KNOW the COBB intake is a 3 inch pipe with a Green Filter & the Ford Racing one leaves the stock intake. But for a realistic depiction of cost per tune this makes most sense.

If you do not include the cost of dealer install the Ford Racing Performance Pack is $535 shipped to your door. If you consider the table above this is a fairly inexpensive for a tune that doesn't have a 3 inch intake or exhaust system attached it it.

But clearly, this can be the most cost effective tuning Solution.

THE DOWNSIDE:
It is a canned tune. If you are looking for SERIOUS engine power, this will probably get you to Stage 2ish. But, to be realistic, this tune NOT programmed for inter-cooler upgrade. It will probably be able to utilize a FMIC, but not to its full potential.

If you are OK with Stage 1, with no way to get programming for Stage 2 or Stage 3, then this is your tune.

THE UPSIDE
  • Shift light gone
  • More responsive turbo
  • smoother engine idle
  • Flash back to stock when needed
  • 3 year - 36,000K limited warranty (if dealer installed)
  • least expensive tune available
FUN. It puts a simile on your face. The Car just feel ridiculous fast, almost useless in city driving. Its crazy how much faster I have to shift now. The turbo is just..there all the time. I do like it a lot. I am sure once I can have summer tires on the car, the wheel spin will be better.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I'll probably get a Dyno here soon. So stand-by for numbers. If you are curious, the mods to my car are listed in the signature.

I recommend this tune. Definitely worth it, and especially you DD that want to have some kind of warranty.

DYNO RESULTS:
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/18694-ford-racing-tune-review-cost-analysis-included-dyno-results-6.html#post361973

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've read bits & pieces of several threads on the Ford Racing tune. I promise not to probe the dreaded "warranty wars" issue amongst tune advocates.
I am curious about the logistics of purchasing this tune and a DIY install. There have been conflicting comments about exactly how you obtain the tune file.
Is it mandatory that some kind of record (VIN) be communicated back to Ford in order to get the tune for your car? Seems like I've read you can buy the handheld device but it doesn't come with the tune program unless you ID your car to somebody. Please clarify or correct my ignorance on this topic.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read bits & pieces of several threads on the Ford Racing tune. I promise not to probe the dreaded "warranty wars" issue amongst tune advocates.
I am curious about the logistics of purchasing this tune and a DIY install. There have been conflicting comments about exactly how you obtain the tune file.
Is it mandatory that some kind of record (VIN) be communicated back to Ford in order to get the tune for your car? Seems like I've read you can buy the handheld device but it doesn't come with the tune program unless you ID your car to somebody. Please clarify or correct my ignorance on this topic.
To my knowledge, You cannot get the Pro-cal (with tune), unless you register with Ford Racing. There could be a bunch of conspiracy theory's as to why this is, but according to the logic I have read is they have to give you a tune specific to your PCM part number.

To answer your question, you can DIY. You buy a FRPP with a Pro-cal, but in the box has a voucher code that you use. A requirement would be to register with your VIN, and PCM part #.

Does this clear it up for you?

whoever you buy it from will contact you for your vin before shipping.
I have not read this before, but this could be true too.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I can't believe nobody's done a dyno yet.

Reactions: Chadwicksracing

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks. Yeah, can surely see the reasoning for a "conspiracy" that big-Bro FMC is keeping tabs on cars with its own tune. ala NSA and your phone/email.

given that you must reveal your car ID, then I don't know why not to seek out a good dealership that would do factory-backed install for about $200 bucks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought mine from true blue and got a call the next day for the vin they set up the online account registered the vin. the procal came with a SD card with a sticker they had printed to ensure it was the one registered to my vin.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought mine from true blue and got a call the next day for the vin they set up the online account registered the vin. the procal came with a SD card with a sticker they had printed to ensure it was the one registered to my vin.
Did it come separately? From Ford Racing via Livonia, MI?

thanks. Yeah, can surely see the reasoning for a "conspiracy" that big-Bro FMC is keeping tabs on cars with its own tune. ala NSA and your phone/email.

given that you must reveal your car ID, then I don't know why not to seek out a good dealership that would do factory-backed install for about $200 bucks.
I wouldn't pay more than $250 installed. Keep that in mind when going to dealer. I have a good relationship with my service department (never thought I would say that, but I trust them). They know me, and they know I know a lot about the car. So we agree on 2.5 hours for the install. It ended up being less than that.

My advice, take the instructions with you and make an appointment in person.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another noob question.

Is the Ford Racing tune (ECU map) different if you buy the cheap package with only plugs, the middle pkg with chopped intake, or the full pkg with Ford Exhaust?

Or is it the same basic tune in each case?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another noob question.

Is the Ford Racing tune (ECU map) different if you buy the cheap package with only plugs, the middle pkg with chopped intake, or the full pkg with Ford Exhaust?

Or is it the same basic tune in each case?
Same tune for all Ford Racing Performance Packs. Including FR Exhaust.

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks. and actually a bit surprised about that. Why go beyond colder plugs if the tune gives the juice without more mods.

I realize that intake breathing can amplify the turbo whooshing, and exhaust can amplify the farting, but what's the point?

Even the smarts built into most ECU logic tables can only make very modest "on-the-fly" adjustments to extract more real power.

I'm confident that I will be happy at Stage 1 given the satisfaction expressed about the torque-well and (throttle position?) responsivenss this tune seems to be offering.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks. and actually a bit surprised about that. Why go beyond colder plugs if the tune gives the juice without more mods.

I realize that intake breathing can amplify the turbo whooshing, and exhaust can amplify the farting, but what's the point?

Even the smarts built into most ECU logic tables can only make very modest "on-the-fly" adjustments to extract more real power.

I'm confident that I will be happy at Stage 1 given the satisfaction expressed about the torque-well and (throttle position?) responsivenss this tune seems to be offering.
Because I believe their official Dyno included exhaust. LOL

You'll be happy with it. Its as good as the COBB v101 map (Last map I drove on).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did it come separately? From Ford Racing via Livonia, MI?
the procal and SD card came together, the CAI and plugs came the next day in a separate package. I will have to check the packaging to see where it came from, but i believe it was shipped from TrueBlue. I got the impression that they had them in stock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Couple of what might be stupid questions...

1. If I get intake, plugs and tune and then add FR exhaust later do I have to be flashed again with the Pro-Cal?
2. If I get only the FR exhaust and installed by dealer do I have to be Pro-Cal flashed?
3. Any guess what I'm looking for for the install including the exhaust? I have no idea how hard it is to replace the whole exhaust.
4. The performance gains from the FR exhaust are negligible/pointless, right?

I think I will do it when I have the summer tires changeover in a month or so. Just have to decide do I get the exhaust too or not. I probably won't go any further drive train modification on the car since I know very little about cars and am one of those people that worry about warranty.

Thx for the info.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Answers in-line below

Couple of what might be stupid questions...

1. If I get intake, plugs and tune and then add FR exhaust later do I have to be flashed again with the Pro-Cal? No
2. If I get only the FR exhaust and installed by dealer do I have to be Pro-Cal flashed? No
3. Any guess what I'm looking for for the install including the exhaust? I have no idea how hard it is to replace the whole exhaust. Very easy with basic tools. 1.5hr max
4. The performance gains from the FR exhaust are negligible/pointless, right? Pretty much, maybe 5hp or so

I think I will do it when I have the summer tires changeover in a month or so. Just have to decide do I get the exhaust too or not. I probably won't go any further drive train modification on the car since I know very little about cars and am one of those people that worry about warranty.

Thx for the info.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts