Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really want to pull the trigger on this mod.....hate this crappy shifter cable linkage though. That's what I get for buying a Wrong Wheel Drive car. Ive done all the other shifter mods which did help a lot.....but nothing at all like a shifter on top of the tranny.

1) Does the unit come with metal/aluminum base washers or do I get them from a place like Boomba?
2) Anybody know how much install cost is? ( I know the whole deal......stoopid engineering......I used to install 'Stang TriAxe shifters in 30 minutes )
3) Anybody do this Ford Racing short shifter and think it wasn't worth the $$?

Reactions: Lions_ST

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did the bushing upgrade but went with fswerks and it does make a huge difference. Shifter feels completely solid but I also installed the Cobb short throw plate as well. Great up grade and it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Install will depend on your year. On '13 and '14, the entire center console has to come apart; I don't think that total disassembly is required on '15+. You might want to hop online and download the instructions to see if it's something that you want to get into. It was pretty nerve-wracking tearing apart my interior, but the FRPP, combined with a Breedt arm and solid shifter base bushing, was worth the effort.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The FRPP doesn't come with metal bushings -- you'll need to replace them if you want a crisper feel.
I feel it's well worth it. I initially had the boomba one, but switched to FRPP for reasons I cannot remember lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
The FRPP doesn't come with metal bushings -- you'll need to replace them if you want a crisper feel.
I feel it's well worth it. I initially had the boomba one, but switched to FRPP for reasons I cannot remember lol
Same here, I initially had the boomba, but got a deal on the FRPP short shifter. Install sucks for both since you gotta pull everything apart.
I think the FRPP is worth it. Paired this with a breedt shift arm, its perfect! Boomba was a little too notchy for me.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here, I initially had the boomba, but got a deal on the FRPP short shifter. Install sucks for both since you gotta pull everything apart.
I think the FRPP is worth it. Paired this with a breedt shift arm, its perfect! Boomba was a little too notchy for me.

Why is the Breedt shift arm critical?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You'll only get about an 18% reduction in shift throws with the FRPP, along with a shorter shifter height. The Breedt arm will reduce your throws significantly and also allow moving your shifter position about an inch farther forward.
I had just the Breedt arm for about 2 years until I got a smoking deal on a used FRPP; I love the combo.
Definitely do the shifter base bushings while you have the console apart.

Reactions: 16SlowSTee

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why is the Breedt shift arm critical?
Breedt arm is not critical, but if you just do the FRRP you'll want more than 18% reduction. I suggest the breedt or any other shift arm (mountune, JBR). I tried those shift plates, while those do the same as the arm, they feel more clunky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Breedt arm is not critical, but if you just do the FRRP you'll want more than 18% reduction. I suggest the breedt or any other shift arm (mountune, JBR). I tried those shift plates, while those do the same as the arm, they feel more clunky.
I agree with the wanting more than 18% with the FRPP shifter alone. I'm going to be doing something, but now not sure after reading this. Was thinking about a plate to reduce the throw a bit more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think what is critical is the transmission and shifter base bushings. They tighten up the shifter feel so you can actually feel where things are going. Stock feels all mushy and vague. I don't have a shortener in yet, but thinking of just doing the Breedt shift plate. FRPP is too expensive IMO. If you have a '15 or '16 and need help with taking apart the center console, let me know. I couldn't find any instructions so I took a bunch of my own pictures for future reference. Took me around an hour and a half, to do the shifter base bushing, but half of that was trying to figure out what could be pulled off and what I was about to break.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You'll only get about an 18% reduction in shift throws with the FRPP, along with a shorter shifter height. The Breedt arm will reduce your throws significantly and also allow moving your shifter position about an inch farther forward.
I had just the Breedt arm for about 2 years until I got a smoking deal on a used FRPP; I love the combo.
Definitely do the shifter base bushings while you have the console apart.
Any issues with the 25mm forward position + the FRPP shifter? I just got one, and it looks like the reverse lock-out works a little different than stock. Looks like may be tricky to get it into reverse... like you would have to pull it back 25mm first.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
No problems whatsoever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts