Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Big things have been afoot in the labs up in Dearborn. The Ford Performance Team has been working on a new project that is set to be unveiled this weekend at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA. They have been channeling their inner Dr. Frankenstein to create a Focus that has the heart of a Lincoln MKC.

They tossed the stock 2.0L I4 engine and shoehorned the 2.3L I4 Ecoboost into the skin of the Focus. Our source within the Ford Performance group said, "A large amount of modularity exists between the 2.0L and 2.3L Ecoboost engines. The 2.3L engine offers a lot of 'bang for the buck', as seen in the 2015 Mustang. We see potential in offering the 2.3L engine for both front and rear wheel drive applications."

They were able to utilize a "crate motor" for this project and may, in the future, pursue crate motors as a possible outlet for their performance customers. They were able to work closely with Mountune on this project as well. Mountune could become a boutique provider for engine swaps in the future because of this collaboration.

The details were provided on this engine swap and it seems like most versed motor heads could complete this project.

There are (4) custom parts required for this engine swap.
  • 1) An exhaust adapter to mate the 2.0L catalyst assembly with the 2.3L turbocharger.
  • 2) A revised catalyst bracket that supports the catalyst assembly.
  • 3) An oil filter adapter plate to mate the 2.0L oil filter adapter to the 2.3L cylinder block.
  • 4) A coolant degas line with tee to mate the 2.0L degas line with the 2.3L engine.
  • There are other parts that are swapped from the 2.0L engine to the 2.3L engine, however they don’t require modifications.

As for the other Ford Performance parts that they used to complete this swap they include:

• FOCUS ST QUAIFE TORQUE BIASING DIFFERENTIAL
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST mountune Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit- Blue
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST mountune Quick Shift
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST mountune Uprated Air Recirculation Valve
  • mountune High Flow Air Filter
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST mountune Ultra High Performance Silicone Ancillary Coolant Kit - Blue
  • 2013-2014 Focus ST Intercooler Upgrade - Silver
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST Symposer Delete Kit
  • Focus ST High-Flow Air Filter End Cap
  • mountune Ultra High Performance Silicone Coolant Hose Kit - Blue
  • Focus ST Short Throw Shifter
  • TPMS Activation Tool and Sensor Kit
  • 19 x 8.5 Focus RS Wheels White
  • 2013-2014 Focus ST Catback Exhaust
  • 2013 Focus ST Lowering Kit
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST Quaifie Differential Installation Kit
  • 2013-2015 Focus ST mountune Low Restriction Intake- Black

This will be the first public showing of this project, so that might just incentivize that trip to Ford Nationals even more! Our source said that they are still working on "engine calibration to maximize horsepower and torque and hope to get chassis dyno numbers soon." Hopefully they will have the tuning done by this weekend so that they can share performance numbers at Nationals.

I don't want to be presumptuous, but I feel like this might be a que that we could see a larger Ecoboost motor landing in the FocusST in the near future. The Focus RS will already run the 2.3L motor and taking a page out of Subaru's book, they could simply use the same long block with different tuning, turbo setup, and cooling for the ST. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Interesting. I guess this would sort of be like how the golf R uses the same 2 liter as the GTI but with AWD and some extra goodies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cheers to the project in general!.Like that Mountune's involved. Good motor for the AWD RS, the 2.3, but pushing the limits a bit for a production fwd ST in terms of torque steer and other factors..they wouldn't be able to reproduce it for the price point with all the extra bits to keep it balanced.

·
Registered
554 Posts
MS3 uses a 2.3

why not lol they just need to put the revoknuckle among other things like traction bars, actual good engine mounts, maybe staggered wheel set up with slightly wider up front (255) I once did that on a Honda, not that it needed it (205 front / 195 rear) mainly because I was cheap on tires for it.

Can never have too much power in a FWD it's so funny to watch them struggle, then gain traction, reel them in & see ya later.

But YES on the crate motor. I want to see them make easy swap kits 2.0 > 2.3, for reasonable price. Like make it cheaper than doing a proper big turbo set up on these cars.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Sounds like the price of junkyard 2.3 motors just went up a notch!

·
Registered
405 Posts
This old car of mine will be getting an engine upgrade when I can get around to it. The stock 100 horsepower flat head 6 was going to be replaced with a 350 ci. Oldsmobile V8 before I test drove an EcoBoost Mustang. now I am thinking that the I4 2.3 EcoBoost will be much easer to fit in the long thin engine bay and put out more HP than the V8 I have under my work bench 13759d1373726220-my-other-ride-dsc00082.jpg

1 - 20 of 83 Posts