Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://performanceparts.ford.com/sema/#wicked

Ford has come out with a drift stick for the focus RS. Its an electric add on hand brake that will lock the rear wheels.
I'm very interested to see if it is compatible with the ST. I was very excited for one after my octane academy but have never found an option. THis could be it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the RS has a drift mode which this piggybacks on. Effectively making it fwd with a hand brake. Just using an electronic brake instead. Still interesting though. Maybe it is possible to get it to work with our cars

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it claims that it just enables it when drift mode is on. It would be like turning ESC off in the ST

If they make it work with the ST I am in 100%

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
this is a little more important in an RS vs our cars. biggest difference is that on top of engaging the brake (which it does by using the ABS pump and using hydraulics vs the cable system our cars use) it also causes the car to disengage the rear axle from the drive line since "drift mode" really just overdrives the rear axle. there are a lot of big differences between the two cars and really there would be no reason for ford to spend the money to develop this for the ST since you cant drift in just a FWD car. the whole point of a drift stick in a purpose built drift car is to use it to brake the traction of the rear wheels so then you can get back in the throttle and keep the traction low. it also allows AWD cars to be able to pull out of extreme angles easier as seen when Mr. Block is making the hoonicorn videos by disengaging the rear axle and just using the front axle to pull it back in the right direction in ways normal RWD drift cars just cant do.

it really makes no sense to put this on a FWD ST other than just the "cool" factor of how it looks. if locking up the rear is what you are interested in, good news, we already have that. you can just have a custom lever made that is longer to make it require less force to activate, or as mentioned above, just add a real hydro setup that will cost far less than the $1k price ford is asking for this system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts