Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done both of these parts on their build?

Any thoughts or feedback welcomed.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have the mountune intake and silicon elbow to the stock airbox, but from what I understand your intake is not going to make much of a difference in power and is just as effective to put on a green filter or K&N filter. The only thing I've noticed difference is the you get a little more turbo sound, which amplifies even more if you take off the airbox lid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the mountune intake and silicon elbow to the stock airbox, but from what I understand your intake is not going to make much of a difference in power and is just as effective to put on a green filter or K&N filter. The only thing I've noticed difference is the you get a little more turbo sound, which amplifies even more if you take off the airbox lid.
I already have the Ford Performance intake and K&N installed and I'm going to add the montune intake and elbow this weekend. I'll already have the intake parts out while doing my FSWerks shifter bushings and short throw plate.

I plan on keeping the stock airbox configuration given the system now has a "ram air" effect with the Ford piece and those effects would be negated opening up the airbox.

Just curious if anybody ever tested to see the difference (stock verses Ford Performance w/ K&N verses Ford Performance w/ K&N and mountune).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I already have the Ford Performance intake and K&N installed and I'm going to add the montune intake and elbow this weekend. I'll already have the intake parts out while doing my FSWerks shifter bushings and short throw plate.

I plan on keeping the stock airbox configuration given the system now has a "ram air" effect with the Ford piece and those effects would be negated opening up the airbox.

Just curious if anybody ever tested to see the difference (stock verses Ford Performance w/ K&N verses Ford Performance w/ K&N and mountune).
Gotcha. Still I don't think you're going to see a noticeable performance increase. I was wondering the same thing about CAIs when I first got my ST and that's why I chose not to spend the $300+ on an aftermarket intake. It already had the Mountune piping and the only thing I've done is replace the accordion elbow with a silicon one. If I were to get anything I really like the Roush intake and open ones like that but it would be more for look than anything else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Still I don't think you're going to see a noticeable performance increase. I was wondering the same thing about CAIs when I first got my ST and that's why I chose not to spend the $300+ on an aftermarket intake. It already had the Mountune piping and the only thing I've done is replace the accordion elbow with a silicon one. If I were to get anything I really like the Roush intake and open ones like that but it would be more for look than anything else.
Agreed. I suspect there would be a couple of HP but nothing that will substantial. I got the blue silicone elbow as I'm adding some blue accents around the vehicle to contrast with the black.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Agreed. I suspect there would be a couple of HP but nothing that will substantial. I got the blue silicone elbow as I'm adding some blue accents around the vehicle to contrast with the black.
That will look good. I had to go with black because bronze is my accent color throughout the car and it's hard to find parts in that color.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you guys taken a look at the CPE cold air intake? I think it would amazing, especially with the plexi glass for the filter. Not sure if its worth the 400 price tag but sure as hell looks good

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Why don't you people track test your cars rathter than useless speculation online?

I picked up 1.5 mph in trap speed in my SRT-4 from the stock air box with a Accel filter vs AEM Cold Air Intake. What OEM intakes often don't have is frequency "ram air" effect.

Also the ST draw in air from the same location the radiator does = Not Good

I am convinced the scoop + intake will gain significant performance. You can barely feel a 10 hp increase, it will be seen on the time slip however because the air is moving faster than it would be with a mild fan blowing air into on a dyno.

If all other conditions are the same as your previous run and you gain trap speed = Effective

Without taking big swings at increasing power, you spend lots of money on tiny things to eek out extra power.

You want big change?

Upgrade the turbo, Run Nitrous or do both.

A 35 hp shot on a Turbo car is often 60-70-80 hp added, none to very little change to your tune, stock plugs, etc.

Mountune Intake = $350

NX Compact EFI Dry Kit = $375

ZEX Safe Shot = $399

1 - 8 of 8 Posts