Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone with the Ford Performance 2-1/2" Cat-back exhaust for the ST please comment on the sound resonance of this
exhaust while under load in the 2,500-3,000RPM range? I currently have a 3" COBB Cat-back which I love in the low and high
rev ranges, but especially when under load in gears 4-6 in the rev range mentioned, the vibrational resonance practically hurts
the eardrums. Do you find the Ford Performance exhaust is a lot more tolerable?

If anyone in the South Bay area has one and would be kind enough to give me ride to experience it before I change mine,
that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Did you disable the sound symposer? If not, do that first before swapping exhausts. You can test this without installing a symposer delete by merely unplugging the wiring harness.

Ford Performance and Borla are essentially the same, except the Ford Performance has an extra doohickey to make it slightly quieter. These two exhausts are known for being "drone-less" more than any other aftermarket exhausts. I have the Borla.

·
Registered
81 Posts
FRPP exhaust is drone free, it is quiet while cruising and opens up under WOT. The sound is a deeper tone. It has got louder after 2k miles, but still drone free. On a stock tune it is slightly higher toned, but on the stratified tune it is deeper. Weird huh! Under load at low rpm, it is just deep no booming drone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
FRPP exhaust doesnt drone and is very pleasant when low RPM or cruising. High RPM or WOT, good and loud. Definitely not the loudest, but ear catching.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FRPP exhaust is drone free, it is quiet while cruising and opens up under WOT. The sound is a deeper tone. It has got louder after 2k miles, but still drone free. On a stock tune it is slightly higher toned, but on the stratified tune it is deeper. Weird huh! Under load at low rpm, it is just deep no booming drone.
So even at 2500-3000K under heavy throttle? I completely avoid putting down the gas pedal while in that range with the COBB catback - it's certainly not the worst but pretty bad!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you disable the sound symposer? If not, do that first before swapping exhausts. You can test this without installing a symposer delete by merely unplugging the wiring harness.

Ford Performance and Borla are essentially the same, except the Ford Performance has an extra doohickey to make it slightly quieter. These two exhausts are known for being "drone-less" more than any other aftermarket exhausts. I have the Borla.
Yep, I have the symposia deleted. Thanks for the insight on the Ford vs. Borla!

·
Registered
81 Posts
So even at 2500-3000K under heavy throttle? I completely avoid putting down the gas pedal while in that range with the COBB catback - it's certainly not the worst but pretty bad!
Yes, I think it is because it has a resonator and decent size muffler.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I have the Borla and even without the extra resonator it is perfectly comfortable cruising 2.5-3K. It’s there but not intrusive, certainly not oppressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts