Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Ford performance Calibration on my Focus ST. It's amazing but I think my ST is making more than 21psi!! Should I be concerned? Can that little tiny turbo handle more than 21psi?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,125 Posts
Just installed my Ford performance Calibration on my Focus ST. It's amazing but I think my ST is making more than 21psi!! Should I be concerned? Can that little tiny turbo handle more than 21psi?

You should be concerned about your plug gap, and quality of fuel. The FRPP pushes to 25 psi iirc. Which tapers to like 11psi at redline. The K03 turbo spools fast, but cant flow enough to maintain psi much, especially with it's extremely weak wastegate actuator. It's fine.

As I always say, look into some way to monitor your ignition corrections real time. So you dont LSPi and blow ringlands. One of the reasons I prefer the Accessport, and dislike the FRPP tune in general. Thats a rant in many other threads, I'll spare this one, lmao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be concerned about your plug gap, and quality of fuel. The FRPP pushes to 25 psi iirc. Which tapers to like 11psi at redline. The K03 turbo spools fast, but cant flow enough to maintain psi much, especially with it's extremely weak wastegate actuator. It's fine.

As I always say, look into some way to monitor your ignition corrections real time. So you dont LSPi and blow ringlands. One of the reasons I prefer the Accessport, and dislike the FRPP tune in general. Thats a rant in many other threads, I'll spare this one, lmao
Forgot to mention, it came with spark plugs which I had installed as well. The guys who installed did everything said they had to gap the plugs. As for the quality of fuel, currently using Mobil 93. Haha please rant because I'm still learning about this stuff. I really want the Accessport but just don't have the cash right now. Would it be worth it to get a better wastegate? I know it'll need a tune, but it'll probably be a waste (no pun intended) since I flashed FRPP (which can't be modified?) and I don't have the Accessport right?

·
Super Moderator
7,125 Posts
Forgot to mention, it came with spark plugs which I had installed as well. The guys who installed did everything said they had to gap the plugs. As for the quality of fuel, currently using Mobil 93. Haha please rant because I'm still learning about this stuff. I really want the Accessport but just don't have the cash right now. Would it be worth it to get a better wastegate? I know it'll need a tune, but it'll probably be a waste (no pun intended) since I flashed FRPP (which can't be modified?) and I don't have the Accessport right?

I wouldn't waste my time with modifying the K03. Besides full tuning on a AP3, Big turbo is my favorite mod. Pushing the torque out, making hp till redline, it really is leagues better than the stock turbo. Like any turbo is better, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't waste my time with modifying the K03. Besides full tuning on a AP3, Big turbo is my favorite mod. Pushing the torque out, making hp till redline, it really is leagues better than the stock turbo. Like any turbo is better, lol.
Haha fair enough. Until big turbo time, I'll just make sure I don't floor it...

·
Super Moderator
7,125 Posts
Haha fair enough. Until big turbo time, I'll just make sure I don't floor it...

You can floor it, just dont LSPi and be sure to run top tier gas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The FRPP tune is only available through dealerships right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best price is through trueblueracing.com

To maintain the warranty, you need to have it installed by the dealer. You shouldnt need to purchase it through them.

·
Registered
142 Posts

To maintain the warranty, you need to have it installed by the dealer. You shouldnt need to purchase it through them.
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I think this question can benefit everyone who is new to this tune. There is mention in the warranty on ford racing that it can be installed by any ase certified mechanic. There may be potential to save money on hourly labor by going to a smaller shop to get this put in.

My question is, when Ford does the install I’m sure they log it in their database and associate it with your vin. Thereby creating a paper trail to follow in the event of a warranty claim. But when a 3rd party mechanic does it, how does ford know the difference between an ase certified mechanic doing the install and say me with a laptop and a spark plug socket in my driveway?

I’m seeing people saying the dealer charged $200 for the install which is outrageous for 4 spark plugs and a software update. So I’m thinking about going to my local mechanic, but I want to be certain ford will still honor their warranty.

Thank you

·
Registered
455 Posts
I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I think this question can benefit everyone who is new to this tune. There is mention in the warranty on ford racing that it can be installed by any ase certified mechanic. There may be potential to save money on hourly labor by going to a smaller shop to get this put in.

My question is, when Ford does the install I’m sure they log it in their database and associate it with your vin. Thereby creating a paper trail to follow in the event of a warranty claim. But when a 3rd party mechanic does it, how does ford know the difference between an ase certified mechanic doing the install and say me with a laptop and a spark plug socket in my driveway?

I’m seeing people saying the dealer charged $200 for the install which is outrageous for 4 spark plugs and a software update. So I’m thinking about going to my local mechanic, but I want to be certain ford will still honor their warranty.

Thank you

Youll have to submit a form to ford performance with the techs info who installed it. Same way the dealer does it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you

My dealership actually recommended me to a place that's "Ford Certified", which means from what the dealership was telling me, they can safely do the mod without voiding your car's warranty. The gentlemen who sold me the car told me to get an invoice or any sort of paperwork from them just to be safe. 200 (which is what I paid) is freaking ridiculous when in reality, it should take us 20 minutes, not including the plug swap, to flash the thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Got mine on through cjponyparts.com during a sale. Might want to check them out on memorial day.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Got mine on through cjponyparts.com during a sale. Might want to check them out on memorial day.

No one will beat True true blue in terms of pricing. Their price for the Tune + Plugs is $450:

2013-2018 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS

Seems like they finally caught on that they were well below everyone else, and raised it from $390.00. CJPP is selling it at $550. Still a good savings.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-calibration-with-cold-spark-plug-set-focus-st-2013-2018/p/M14204FSTA/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No one will be True true blue in terms of pricing. Their price for the Tune + Plugs is $450:

2013-2018 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS

Seems like they finally caught on that they were well below everyone else, and raised it from $390.00. CJPP is selling it at $550. Still a good savings.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-calibration-with-cold-spark-plug-set-focus-st-2013-2018/p/M14204FSTA/
Damn!! That is a good price! Wish I knew about them. On sale it was 475 I think. I was typing in trueblueracing.com and this ad website kept coming up. Thought you were spamming us

·
Registered
813 Posts
I bought my 18 last March and needless to say they didn't drop the Ford Procal for the 18 till about amonth or two ago so I was righteously pissed off because at that point I was already at 26k on my car(bought new with 60 miles on the odometer). So I did purchase the extended warranty through Ford...well I didn't really purchase it my sales rep/ford finance rep threw it in the package for FREEEE(adam sandlers voice). So for 3 or 4 months I was calling Ford Performance every couple days, did ya hear anything, did ya did ya did ya...it was the same bull**** everytime. Needless to say I got to the point where I was like well **** whats the point of waiting for a tune that is warrantied for up to 36K or 3 years, none because I hadn't even owned the car for a year when they finally dropped the tune and I already had 26K on the car by then. I just sent my accessport I had sittin in my Speed6 while its being repaired to Cobb and had them switch the part number over to a 18 Ford for 150 bucks and I was ready to go. And I have a pretty cool dealer and I have made no real serious changes to my car and I can unload the AP and tune like that. They can check the flash counter but thats got to be done away from dealership and I have receipts from all oil changes done and maintenance done. So really the warranty is worth more to me then just the motor. I mean theres the transmission, suspension, body, electrical, stereo..the guy during the purchase showed me the Ford Factory cost to replace one of the Sync 3 Sony units and it was like 1 or 2 G

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought my 18 last March and needless to say they didn't drop the Ford Procal for the 18 till about amonth or two ago so I was righteously pissed off because at that point I was already at 26k on my car(bought new with 60 miles on the odometer). So I did purchase the extended warranty through Ford...well I didn't really purchase it my sales rep/ford finance rep threw it in the package for FREEEE(adam sandlers voice). So for 3 or 4 months I was calling Ford Performance every couple days, did ya hear anything, did ya did ya did ya...it was the same bull**** everytime. Needless to say I got to the point where I was like well **** whats the point of waiting for a tune that is warrantied for up to 36K or 3 years, none because I hadn't even owned the car for a year when they finally dropped the tune and I already had 26K on the car by then. I just sent my accessport I had sittin in my Speed6 while its being repaired to Cobb and had them switch the part number over to a 18 Ford for 150 bucks and I was ready to go. And I have a pretty cool dealer and I have made no real serious changes to my car and I can unload the AP and tune like that. They can check the flash counter but thats got to be done away from dealership and I have receipts from all oil changes done and maintenance done. So really the warranty is worth more to me then just the motor. I mean theres the transmission, suspension, body, electrical, stereo..the guy during the purchase showed me the Ford Factory cost to replace one of the Sync 3 Sony units and it was like 1 or 2 G
Well if you bought an extended warranty from Ford for more than the 36k miles then it doesn’t matter. Because if you had ever installed the FRPP tune you would have lost your extended warranty and been stuck on the 36k mile warranty that Ford Racing gives you.

I’d just wait it out at this point and do a third party tune.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well if you bought an extended warranty from Ford for more than the 36k miles then it doesn’t matter. Because if you had ever installed the FRPP tune you would have lost your extended warranty and been stuck on the 36k mile warranty that Ford Racing gives you.

I’d just wait it out at this point and do a third party tune.
You dont lose your warranty, I don't want to get into this because it's said so much. It's over top of your new car warranty, and if it's not covered by new car warranty it goes to the Ford performance warranty and then when the 36k Ford performance runs out you still retain your new car warranty just the parts you installed are no longer under warranty. And ive been Purple Drank Tuned for almost a year I had my accessport after Ford Racing kept telling me in a few weeks over and over. If I would have waited I wouldn't have had the Ford Cal for a year from when I started asking about it. Fuq that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sorry for the bump, but this doesn't require a cobb correct? I love the different tunes, but all of them seem to be more than what I would want in a DD. Fords seems right up my alley

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct, the Ford tune is flashed using a laptop, not via a COBB AccessPort. I'm also leaning towards the Ford tune myself, but will be awhile before I do it. If you haven't already checked them, True Blue Racing Parts seem to be the cheapest for the Ford Performance Parts tune.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts