Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Ford Focus ST/RS - Front Lower Control arm *Camber relation*

14K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Invincible 
#1 ·
Hello,

Does anybody know if the lower control arms for the Focus ST and the RS are the same? I see that they share the same leading part number (3078) but I'm suspecting that the RS arm is a tad bit longer. The Focus RS alignment spec shows close to -0.8 degrees more negative camber than the ST.

The reason for me asking is I believe this maybe a cheaper way of getting more negative camber out of our cars with OEM reliability. Those with coilovers+plates should be able to get more than -3 degrees of camber as well which is very beneficial to this platform.

If anyone has any leads to take this measurement that would be really beneficial to the platform.

#4 ·
That is in regards to the rear. I am talking about the front lower control arm. I want to figure out where the difference in camber is coming from and hoping its a simple component like the control arm or knuckle. I can't imagine they did anything to the body of the car for it.

#6 ·
Increase camber may come from:
1. knuckle
2. upper mount

Combo of the two. Outer ball joint mount would be easy place to start for OEM solution.

Front control arm ( lower )

RS -> MCF-2381
ST and others -> MCF-2357

Interestingly enough, RS part is cheaper, $99 vs $130.
Yes, i noticed that as well. I dont't believe the top mount to be any different. As you can see the center pin of the strut is dead center in the tower hole. Also I notice that RS' with coilover + plates are getting that very same -0.8 advantage at similar pin locations as ST. It definitely has to be something underneath or a body change.

I hope its a knuckle or lower control arm difference. Subframe would be a PITA but not totally out of the cards, just not easiest solution.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car

#7 ·
Riddle me this... An acceptable amount of (-) camber on a street vehicle is usually under -2.0, but better than -1.5. This is what many refer to as a "street performance," alignment.

-0.8 from an RS, AND lowering it via whatever method you choose (e.g. springs, coilovers, etc) seems like you could hit the high end of a street alignment, or exceed it, depending on how low you go.

#8 ·
Correct. I am looking for a solution for my track car which after extensive work developing a camber plate and slotting my towers is still at -3.2. I am looking to go closer to -4 for the tires I am using (Hoosier A7).

My setup with a standard RS can get to -4 degrees. I am looking to replicate the same on my ST.

If the arms are interchangeable and do give the extra camber, this would solve a lot of issues with the ST with coil-overs for track use.

#9 ·
Dude, track car, means disposable income. Buy the lower arms and be a guinea pig. :lol::p

May want to ping Vorshalg too just for isht and giggles and see if they have an idea... Or some other suspension tuner manufacturer that may own both models as test mules? Perhaps Mountune USA, since you're in their backyard?

#13 ·
I am looking for the OEM part number for the passenger side front lower control arm. When it was replaced, the shop replaced it with an aluminum control arm that causes wear on the inside of the tire, I can still get 45,000 miles out of a set of tires by rotating them. But every time it goes in for an alignment that passenger front tire is out of specs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.