Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ford Focus RS owners are finally getting a fix after almost a year of complaints online.

According to a post on Reddit, the American automaker is recalling 2016-2017 Ford Focus RShatchbacks with potentially faulty head gaskets, so they can be replaced free of charge. The affected vehicles in the recall were built from August 3, 2015 through July 6, 2017 and will include title branded and salvaged vehicles. The customer letter being sent out says 'the cylinder headgasket may develop a coolant leak into the engine combustion chamber,' which may cause noticeable white smoke and/or low coolant without external leaks.
Read more about the Ford Focus RS Finally Gets a Recall for Head Gasket Issue at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well that's a little delayed....in my opinion the government is more to blame for the delay than Ford. I'm sure it took Ford a little while to get it's data together and figure out all what they had to do but then filing with the government and all that crap can take forevvvvverrrrrrrr. And I'm sure the shutdown and events leading up to the shutdown didn't help at all either.

·
Registered
232 Posts
******I am glad they made it as a recall as for those of us with Salvage Title Rs's it means the dealer will do it for free*****Jutst took both my rs's last week to the local dealer and we are waiting for parts to come in. Much thanks to those that made it happen. ****

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well that's a little delayed....in my opinion the government is more to blame for the delay than Ford. I'm sure it took Ford a little while to get it's data together and figure out all what they had to do but then filing with the government and all that crap can take forevvvvverrrrrrrr. And I'm sure the shutdown and events leading up to the shutdown didn't help at all either.
I doubt the government as anything to do with this as this isn't a recall, I don't see anything filed with NHSTA. I used to be a mechanical development engineer, fixing engine reliability issues can take a lot of time. First they need to reproduce the issue on their test engines. Since not every engine with a bad gasket has a coolant leak, it might take a while for them to find a test that can reproduce the gasket leak consistently. Then they have to redesign the gasket, work with suppliers to get prototype parts in, then do tons more reliability testing to make sure the new gasket fixes the issue long term. If it doesn't fix the issue, they have to redesign again, order more parts, and redo the testing until the find something that works. After they find a working design, they have to order production parts which may have additional delays if the supplier doesn't have the capacity to fill the order. quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts