Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
One production in US one production in Germany and One production facility in china (future) So does this mean our vehicles are imports now?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One production in US one production in Germany and One production facility in china (future) So does this mean our vehicles are imports now?
And then, where do the PARTS come from and what percentage are made where. It's so crazy how it's all split throughout the world to make one car.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think our engines are put together in Spain.
Not much of Ford is an american car.
I had a vw diesel passat 80% parts (I think) in U.S. and made in TN. Couldn't believe I could get an American VW.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And look what happened to VW diesel.
:crying: it was a great car until 36k miles and it's electronics started failing. Anyways that issue wasn't caused by the American made stuff. That was VW heads deciding to cheat and Bosch supplying the software.

Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 2019 will be an interesting Focus. There are 3 threats to Ford on this:

1.) Crap Quality - because a Chinese sub-contractor used s***-grade material (cheap tin can recycled steel) This will be found when the cars rust out early or fold up badly on crash tests. Think they'll ship unibody units over there from the US of A or Canuckistan? Nope

2.) Environmental / Health concerns - other locally sourced parts contain fun industrial pollutants that either leak out into the cabin or make happy fun-time smoke when burned. Come on, Radioactive Cadmium-Asbestos fiber filler makes a great sound insulator when glued in with toxic waste. right?

3.) Political BS - Trade War, Actual War, Tarriffs... And guess what happens when we find out the new Sync modules are spying on us for China Inc.

Glad I got my 2017.

Reactions: sleepyhouse1422

·
Registered
79 Posts
from a similar thread,

Is Your Car Made in America? - Autoblog

"According to NHTSA documents, Ford's compact Focus has been assembled in Wayne, Mich., with 90 percent of its parts sourced from the U.S. and Canada, but its transmission originates in Germany. While the Taurus is assembled in Chicago, Ill., only about 65 percent of its parts are of U.S. origin. But its engine and transmission are both built in the U.S."

·
Registered
802 Posts
You guys sound like Donald Trump. "No way I'd ever buy something built in CHIIIINNA." Scared your Sync module is going to spy on you for China? Seriously? You should be worried that the Sync module you have now is spying on you on behalf of a United States three letter agency.

There is no guarantee that the US will even see another Focus ST, nor that a next generation Focus ST will be built in China for export to the US.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You guys sound like Donald Trump. "No way I'd ever buy something built in CHIIIINNA." Scared your Sync module is going to spy on you for China? Seriously? You should be worried that the Sync module you have now is spying on you on behalf of a United States three letter agency.

There is no guarantee that the US will even see another Focus ST, nor that a next generation Focus ST will be built in China for export to the US.
I'm not as bad as a lot of other people in this country, I do however feel that we do need to work really hard to keep American economy strong the best we can and outsourcing EVERYTHING to other countries over time honestly is the wrong direction. I think Trump is just setting the hook for his followers when he throws around the china and made in America stuff he so often does, but he isn't totally wrong either. He just talks about it for effect I think though. It's up to the CEOs of companies, not the president. I wish the CEO of companies would take the slight sacrifice and try to boost American production (while being green about it) and then THEY can market using the "made in America" tag which I guarantee you will sell more cars.

Reactions: Manoah

·
Registered
311 Posts
Gents, the car industry is not how we romanticize it. The ST's transmission and engine are from Germany, the total parts are 88% FOREIGN. it is screwed together by union folks in MI. Would the car be worse if from Mexico, or China? Maybe maybe not. The tech industry does pretty good with Chinese assembly, no reason they can't do car assembly line work as good as the UAW. A properly engineered product will work if the assembly line is controlled, the Chinese can do that. Now, the emotional side is something else.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not as bad as a lot of other people in this country, I do however feel that we do need to work really hard to keep American economy strong the best we can and outsourcing EVERYTHING to other countries over time honestly is the wrong direction. I think Trump is just setting the hook for his followers when he throws around the china and made in America stuff he so often does, but he isn't totally wrong either. He just talks about it for effect I think though. It's up to the CEOs of companies, not the president. I wish the CEO of companies would take the slight sacrifice and try to boost American production (while being green about it) and then THEY can market using the "made in America" tag which I guarantee you will sell more cars.
You need to realize, there is no "sacrifice" available when it comes to small cars. Americans demand more and more and more when it comes to creature comforts, and small cars are just too cheap to keep up. If you want the Focus to be built in America you're gonna get the return of the cheap penalty box like the early 2000s Chevrolet Cavalier. Hard plastic everything, and very little design or quality ergo baked in. You know damn well the UAW is not going to budge and pay the workers less so that more money goes into the cars. You can also moan about outrageous executive compensations, but that's a different story that doesn't affect things as much as you would think.

So now we have Focus production starting up in China, while Wayne will shift to building the high margin Ranger and Bronco. So American workers at MAP are actually in a better position now than they were building the Focus. At the end of the day Americans are going to buy a car based on how it makes them feel, the amenities, how well it suits their life style. They won't really give a damn where it is assembled, or whether their engine came from Valencia. You think your average Cadillac CT6 PHEV owner today knows their car was built in China? Like hell.

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
You need to realize, there is no "sacrifice" available when it comes to small cars. Americans demand more and more and more when it comes to creature comforts, and small cars are just too cheap to keep up. If you want the Focus to be built in America you're gonna get the return of the cheap penalty box like the early 2000s Chevrolet Cavalier. Hard plastic everything, and very little design or quality ergo baked in. You know damn well the UAW is not going to budge and pay the workers less so that more money goes into the cars. You can also moan about outrageous executive compensations, but that's a different story that doesn't affect things as much as you would think.

So now we have Focus production starting up in China, while Wayne will shift to building the high margin Ranger and Bronco. So American workers at MAP are actually in a better position now than they were building the Focus. At the end of the day Americans are going to buy a car based on how it makes them feel, the amenities, how well it suits their life style. They won't really give a damn where it is assembled, or whether their engine came from Valencia. You think your average Cadillac CT6 PHEV owner today knows their car was built in China? Like hell.
Corporate business is f___ed and that's a fact. It could be done better, but it never will be. People like money too much. I don't need to realize anything that I don't already know. I know how it works and I know cars get more expensive every year, just like anything else, due to rising standards and expectations along with competition. So they have to cut somewhere to keep the price point from climbing. That doesn't mean they can't try to work towards doing those things state side to assist our economy. Saving 10% expense moving production to China doesn't always outweight the potential 15% gain in profits due to more Americans having jobs and wanting to buy Ford because hell, they work for them and get discounts. And people who buy only American parts because 'Murica (of which I am not one of those people...I'm just a person that acknowledges that moving EVERYTHING out of the US and into a country that could bring us to our knees is negative progress) of course will boost sales that they are losing by going to China. I am more comfortable buying my car which was sourced partially out of Mexico (which isn't new..Ford has been doing that for years) and Germany and elsewhere vs China of all places. We've given them enough, we need to diversify a little instead of adding to our overhead they hold on us.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I want to buy American made things, I don't feel like I need to apologize for that. Yes not everything I buy is from there, but I try to make an effort. I do however understand and accept your point about making an awesome car at a cheap price is pretty hard to do if I want it made in the USA. That said, I already said I wouldn't be buying another one, is this because it's made in China? No, not really. I wouldn't have gotten one anyways after this if we are being honest, I am hoping my budget is higher next time around and I can do a nice restoration on something old(maybe even foreign too). Am I going to boycott Ford? Nope to that too, I will be buying another new f-150 or 250 in a few years. That doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I don't want Ford to build a new plant here instead of in China though, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.

Edit: To throw another thing in, what about the emissions and pollution from those shipping containers? The ones that use millions of gallons of diesel a year and spew it into the ocean. I think avoiding that process is worth something---again though, people have to be willing to pay the price of that, and as @Loki C346 mentioned good luck getting people to pay that premium despite the extra pollution.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Get real man... You think Ford is losing out on a ton of business by not employing US auto workers? MAP employs 3500 people. That equates to 0.0014% of the adult population in this country. UAW works get paid pretty damn well, you think each one of those guys is going to buy a brand new Focus? After assembling the damn things every single day? They're going to go buy a new F-150 like everyone else. You can throw out made up statistics but Ford has done their homework. Focus production in China and Europe is the way to go, with SUV and truck production in the US.

Reactions: oldloudmouth
1 - 20 of 37 Posts