Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I've got a 2014 Focus ST w/22k miles that was just denied warranty on a failed #2 piston assembly. Half the piston ring broke off and eventually the piston cracked in several places. All the other pistons and combustion chambers look fine according to the service tech. The reason for the denial they stated is due to my Turbosmart BOV, which didn't break they just say it caused the failure. Dealer is telling me it's out of their hands as they don't make the call and ford is giving me no help, all they will tell me is their decision is final.

The only other mods on the car are:
Ford Racing Tune
Roush Exhaust
Cobb Intake

Ford Racing said their tune did not cause the piston failure so they will not cover me under their supplemental warranty either and i was given a quote of ~10k USD for a new engine from dealer. I've seen people with a lot more mods than me get their motors covered under warranty and am wondering how you guys convinced them otherwise. This is my first new car and my first ford product and this is just making me sick atm. I'd appreciate any tips or help you guys can give me but it looks like I may have to get a lawyer involved cause I'm not buying that a BOV caused a single piston ring to fail and crack my piston. attched some pics of the damage.

20171009_104545.jpg 20171009_104548.jpg 20171009_104812.jpg 20171009_104604.jpg 20171009_105528.jpg 20171009_104552.jpg

·
Administrator
11,910 Posts
Hey all...I've got a 2014 Focus ST w/22k miles that was just denied warranty on a failed #2 piston assembly. Half the piston ring broke off and eventually the piston cracked in several places. All the other pistons and combustion chambers look fine according to the service tech. The reason for the denial they stated is due to my Turbosmart BOV, which didn't break they just say it caused the failure. Dealer is telling me it's out of their hands as they don't make the call and ford is giving me no help, all they will tell me is their decision is final.

The only other mods on the car are:
Ford Racing Tune
Roush Exhaust
Cobb Intake

Ford Racing said their tune did not cause the piston failure so they will not cover me under their supplemental warranty either and i was given a quote of ~10k USD for a new engine from dealer. I've seen people with a lot more mods than me get their motors covered under warranty and am wondering how you guys convinced them otherwise. This is my first new car and my first ford product and this is just making me sick atm. I'd appreciate any tips or help you guys can give me but it looks like I may have to get a lawyer involved cause I'm not buying that a BOV caused a single piston ring to fail and crack my piston. attched some pics of the damage.
Were you using any active monitoring devices for ign correction and such?

I see the Ford tune blow motors from time to time, then they blame it on any aftermarket parts they find.

Personally, i was never a fan of FRPP, or their tune, or the SCT tuner for that matter (torrie is the exception of course). The inability to actively watch what is going on with your car, I believe, leads people to false confidence in their driving habits and fuel quality.

Eventually leading to a Kaboom.

I have seen both positive, and negative outcomes from the stealerships.

It really comes down to the dealership you took it to, at the initial steps. Some freak out if you have a boomba dipstick handle, and start voiding warranties. It's research, and luck of the draw. Most dealerships are not mod friendly.

Not to mention what seems to be a lack of training/general understanding of how their own platform operates. At least in the people I talk to and their experiences.

So yet again, placing faith in a warranty, isn't always the best course of action. Proper maintenance, fuel, driving habits, and monitoring is what keeps these cars alive.

"high performance" high maintenance, well to a degree, and at our car's price point it's not really that much to handle.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It really comes down to the dealership you took it to, at the initial steps. Some freak out if you have a boomba dipstick handle, and start voiding warranties. It's research, and luck of the draw. Most dealerships are not mod friendly.
This has been my experience.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
wow, sounds like the ecu flash is what caused it but they want to blame something else so as not cover it. Can you get a second opinion on the diagnosis & cause from another dealer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Head looks ok from what I can tell, you can go with a full built 2.3 for under 10k w/ labor. Short blocks I’ve seen are in the 3-4K range. Send block/ head to someone who builds these bad boys everyday and be done with it.

You won’t win in court aftermarket parts on car increased performance which caused the failure. I’ve seen it across so many platforms in my past 20yrs of being involved in automotive forums. Fords money > your money, trust me take the money and time you will spend on a lawyer and put it into a rebuild.

Then pull your car into the dealer and do a big smokey burnout outside the service dept doors hahaha, kidding.

Good luck with the rebuild make sure if the car has an oil cooler it’s replaced along with at least sending the injectors for cleaning and testing. Also make sure to get the car tuned completely be it remote or on a Dyno. So you don’t end up in the same boat again.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It’s fuel and calibration that broke your motor

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
while I do agree with you that the BOV likely had no part of what caused this failure, this is the problem with modifying the engine, all they have to do is say that one of the parts caused the failure and they can deny the warranty claim. there are to big problems with trying to fight this, first it will be extremely difficult to prove to a court that the BOV was 100% not at fault, and second, ford can throw way more money at a legal team than you ever could.

a prime example of a dealership doing whatever the hell they feel like. a couple of years ago a friend of mine had a 100% stock chevy HHR (and not a high performance SS). at about 45k miles the third gear syncros took a sh!t. the car was never beat on and was well taken care of and had absolutely no symptoms of a problem until it started grinding one night. after about two weeks of them examining the car they called to inform him that the car would not be warrantied and the repair would be $4500+. after having to call back many times to get where they came up with this and how it was his fault as they claimed. the tech responsible for the diagnosis said that it was caused because the clutch was too worn and should have been replaced (yeah at 45k miles...) but yet his best explanation on how a worn clutch would cause syncro failure was that "if the clutch was too worn down, that it could not fully disengage the transmission from the engine". which since the problem wasn't with the throw out bearing, this is exactly the opposite of how it works. since my friend is an engineer at the EPA with new vehicle testing, he has a lot of friends that work with GM powertrain. ever single one of them including one of the top guys in engine and transmission development said that there is absolutely no way that is the case and that the trans should 100% be covered. they even gave him letters to send in when talking to corporate customer service... how ever ever single person he talked to over 3 months kept saying that they had no choice but to back the original guy who looked at the car the first time. they also said that it wouldn't do any good to take it to a different dealer since the car was already submitted to GM and denied for warranty service that they wouldn't let another shop submit it for the same reason...

long story short, a few dealers are good, most are rubbish and ****s and will do/say anything they can to get out of paying for stuff out of their own pocket...
we picked the car up in pieces, bought a $500 trans from a junk yard with 75k+ on it, threw it in with the original (45k) clutch at a friends house with a lift and the car drove fine for a few months till he sold that heap of sh!t and bought something else from a different dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After running the FRPP kit and tune for a while I am not surprised to see this. I would hear pretty severe pinging from the engine under load and had the dealer confirm it. Without the ability to make any adjustments or even monitor parameters we agreed it was best they inspected for damage and flash the ECU back to stock (not that that process didn't go without issues...). Sounds like they may have been getting too aggressive with their calibrations?

·
Registered
23 Posts
After running the FRPP kit and tune for a while I am not surprised to see this. I would hear pretty severe pinging from the engine under load and had the dealer confirm it. Without the ability to make any adjustments or even monitor parameters we agreed it was best they inspected for damage and flash the ECU back to stock (not that that process didn't go without issues...). Sounds like they may have been getting too aggressive with their calibrations?
Was that the Mountune kit I see they no longer sell the procal on FRPP website now they sell the Mountune. Wonder if the tune expects 93 octane

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You sue the dealership not ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You sue the dealership not ford.
Have you ever sued anyone in state court before I have and I had a much better case then this person would I bought some rental property to rent and it turned out to have a major defect which wasn't disclosed and I had a contractor who signed an affidavit that he gave the old owner an estimate to repair it never disclosed. If you ever sold a home that is a major violation of real estate law lot of people do it and get away with it. My case was cut and dry so I thought I spent over 350k in legal fees we had to settle I lost about 150k in the deal. I have had to deal with attorney's over the years and ever time it never turned out like they said it would. An attorney is not much different then a car salesmen their goal is to get you to give them a retainer and they start working on the case burning though the money they call you about every 2 weeks asking for more money more money. You learn quickly they charge by the minute to even ask you for more money maybe an exaggeration I once met an attorney we talked about baseball for 30 minutes 5 minutes to sign a paper he charged me 35 minutes. I'm just saying the dealer has a deep pocket unless you have a deep pocket as well suing over 10k is not worth it 10k for an attorney billing at $250 an hour is nothing since you don't have a contract getting attorney fees from the dealer is not going to happen the only way I would do it in small claims court other then that forget it.

If it was my car I would just pull the engine myself in a FWD car takes about 4 hours take the long block to a machine shop put in better pistons and rods so you can boost it more not worry about the engine failure. I'm picking my ST up tomorrow I already told the dealer I plan to void the warranty on the first day with the parts Ill be installing so don't bother me with an extended one.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Was that the Mountune kit I see they no longer sell the procal on FRPP website now they sell the Mountune. Wonder if the tune expects 93 octane

yes min 91 octane...FRPP kit is available at Ford Performance website

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Premium Fuel Requirement:

Customers who purchase power upgrade packs, cold air kits with calibration, TracKey/Track Cal engine calibrations, or superchargers are required to use 91-octane or higher (“premium”) fuels at all times. Any failures associated with the non-use of premium fuel will be ineligible for warranty repair.

Focus/Focus ST
Power Upgrade Packs:
M-FR1-FST (2013-14)
Calibration/Cold Air Kits w/ Calibration:
M-14204-FST (2013-14), M-9603A-FST (2013-14),
mountune 2363-280-BB (2015), mountune
2363-280-AA (2013-14), mountune 2363-280-BA (2013-1
4),
mountune 2363-CAIS-AA (2013-15), mountune 2363-CAIS
-BA (2013-15), mountune 2363-IC-BA2
(2015), mountune 2363-IC-AA (2013-14), mountune 236
3-IC-BA (2013-14)
Shifters:
M-7210-FS (2012-14), M-7210-FST (2013-14), mountune
2363-BSA-AA (2013-2015)
Handling Packs:
M-FR3-FS (2012-14)
Exhaust:
M-5230-FSH (2012-14), M-5200-FSH (2012-14), M-5230
-FSHA (2012-14), M-5200-FST
(2013-14) mountune 2363-CBE-AA (2013-2014)

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
They use a new procal III tool that is just an OBD II cable for the Ford Performance calibrations

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-14204-FSTA
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-14204-FSTA.pdf

About your Ford Performance Calibration:
Premium fuel (91 octane or higher, 93 recommended) is required to prevent “spark knock” or
detonation under certain operating conditions. The use of fuel additives (i.e., octane boosters) is not
recommended. There is a possibility that these chemicals can damage your engine and cause
drivability issues with your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I wonder what the symposer change sounds like???

Fits 2013-2017 Focus ST with 2.0L EcoBoost® I-4 engine
Maximum of 90 lb-ft torque increase at 2800 rpm on 93 octane fuel
Significant torque increase up to 4200 rpm
Revised sound symposer software and calibration for more natural engine sound
Premium (91 octane or higher) fuel only

·
Registered
315 Posts
All the car companies have big issues they are struggling with on direct injection engines. One is carbon in the intake tract and valves and the other is ring land killing knock in low rpm light throttle conditions. Go to Joe Gibbs oil and look at their new direct injection oil. They think they have a handle on the issue. BND automotive also thinks their oil and gas additive will take care of both issues. If you look at the new 2018 models many direct injection motors now have a port injection system added to the direct injection.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No way did a BOV melt a piston.

(Not trying to sound like a D*** with this below statement )

If I had an aftermarket tune, and blew up an engine, I would not expect Ford to cover it under warranty. Even if the tune was a FRPP.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been a Ford tech for 30 years, and reading this thread amazes me on how much you all hate the dealerships. In realty the dealer should be your best friend. Get to know them and have all your service done there, at least til your warranty runs out. Believe me they will help you on things like this if you’re a good customer. I know from experience, things like this happen all the time and the first thing we look at is how often you visit the dealer and how well you keep up on maintenance with them. The dealers love to help a valuable customer.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts