Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving my 2017 Ford Focus ST one day on the highway. Vibrations came and the whole car started shaking violently if I stayed below 3-4k RPM. I decided to head back towards home because I knew something was about to happen. Finally I broke down by my house and The car wouldn't move in any gear. I popped the hood and saw the engine dropped about 3 inches down and was tilted forward. I had my car towed to my ford dealer where i originally bought the car. It got towed December 8th 2017 and now its January 13th 2017 and my car is still there. Its been sitting all this time on the same excuse "Our Master Technician is on vacation and he will have to look at your car". After a month of silence I called Ford Corporate and they filed a claim with this dealership. The very next day my service advisor finally contacted me and told me its going to be $7,000 repair and will not be under warranty...WHATTT??? A month ago they told me only the motor mounts broke. I never had any transmission issues ever and now they are telling me they are going to have to replace my tranny? This seems a little suspicious to me. Now my car is stuck there, I have no cash because I just paid off my monthly payment and my insurance for a car I don't even have. Is there anyway I can call Ford and negotiate something with them? I drove this car spiritedly in past months but never did anything stupid that would severely damage parts, nor have I ever encountered any tranny issues at all. I am a good manual driver but my service advisor claims "Whoever was driving this car clearly doesn't know how to drive a manual". I need to know what I can do now because they are telling me out of no where I have to pay $7,000 for a 2017 car with 11,000 miles that is a LEASE.

UPDATE:Thanks everyone for your help! To further help explain, the only aftermarket mods to the car are a muffler and resonator delete which do not in any way interfere with the issue I am having. Other than that the car is completely bone stock I use this car as my daily to college 40 miles a day so I wont be doing much to the car. The dealership claimed this "The transmission is damaged and we have 100% proof that this was all caused by driver error there is nothing you can do about it" it seems a bit to me like they are trying to get me to pay for another transmission as punishment for contacting Corporate and having them crack down on them. They claim all damages to the car are completely my fault. I explained to them that it snowed (New York US) and that my car kept wheel hopping violently whenever I drove somewhere. To me that is not driver error. I spoke to some family members who used to be mechanics and they suggested I go down to the dealership and demand they show me exactly what in the tranny is broken. If I don't find anything I should ask them to fix the motor mounts and the front axles that they claimed where broken. If the car starts and drives then I dont need a new tranny, but if It doesn't then that's a different story. I'm just so angry that I had this car for 4 months and have 11,000 miles and they try to pull some garbage that I need a new tranny. Before I go to check it out I will contact corporate again and update them on this. I need them to understand that a month ago they claimed my tranny is fine and no problems, but they waited a month before doing any work, and now suddenly I call corporate and the very next day the service advisor finally calls me to tell me I have to pay $7,000 out of pocket and to not even try to fight it or do anything because they will submit the master technicians report to corporate and Ill be helpless??? Sounds like a load of crap. Corporate as to my understanding been on my side the whole time, they did exactly what they said they would. So Im going to call and say this i unbelievable that I have factory warranty and only had the car for 4 months. Maybe if I had the car for about 30k miles I might have closed my eyes but not now.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Factory powertrain is 5/60k

·
Registered
75 Posts
What kind of dumbasses are you dealing with? Time to lawyer up with these incompetent morons if they don’t even know what the Factory ford powertrain warranty covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any aftermarket parts?

What was their explanation of a $7,000 repair? Just "replacing the transmission" or did they explain how that came to be the issue?

That reeks of BS. I would be contacting Ford corporate again.

How far is the next dealership?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a load of crap. Any aftermarket parts or any other reason to be denied warranty?

It sounds like Ford is on your side here, the dealership is in the wrong. I would continue bugging Ford corporate and try it get it resolved through them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a load of crap. Any aftermarket parts or any other reason to be denied warranty?

It sounds like Ford is on your side here, the dealership is in the wrong. I would continue bugging Ford corporate and try it get it resolved through them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agree.

What was the official diagnosis? If your ability to drive manual properly is in question, then have them Ride along with you in a loaner manual ST.

Was the clutch okay? I'm not sure how an engine dropping is related to bad driving - clutch should be fried too. Even so, clutch warranty is 18K miles I believe (different from power train warranty).

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you want to take the car then show up with the police. Shops can not legally hold a car hostage for payment. Take the car to another ford dealership to get a second opinion. When I was working as a technician we had a customer authorize 2k worth of head work on her car. When it was done she showed up with the cops and we had to give her the vehicle. Then we had to take her to civil court to get paid for the repairs.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Wow this is the second time I've heard of the tranny mount bolt snapping and dropping the motor. Happened to a buddy a couple weeks back. They had to replace the axle but not the whole transmission. It is possible to ruin the tranny driving it with it hanging. If under warranty thats on them and should cost you nothing. This one bolt hold everything up.

tsb2_3.png

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want to take the car then show up with the police. Shops can not legally hold a car hostage for payment. Take the car to another ford dealership to get a second opinion. When I was working as a technician we had a customer authorize 2k worth of head work on her car. When it was done she showed up with the cops and we had to give her the vehicle. Then we had to take her to civil court to get paid for the repairs.
That may vary state to state. As crazy as that is, I'm sure the law is intended to keep dishonest shops from ripping people off but man, THAT is crazy.

OP.. did you notice any fluids or anything coming from under the car? How did the car shift when you were driving back? Wondering if the trans case split or something.

It doesn't make sense how the engine drops 3" forward with multiple engine and a trans mount. Thinking about the geometry of that, the axle shafts, etc I'm not sure how keeping things above 3-4K would have smoothed anything out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow this is the second time I've heard of the tranny mount bolt snapping and dropping the motor. Happened to a buddy a couple weeks back. They had to replace the axle but not the whole transmission. It is possible to ruin the tranny driving it with it hanging. If under warranty thats on them and should cost you nothing. This one bolt hold everything up.

[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=303810&stc=1&d=1515969387"]
[/iurl]
1 bolt? Lol what the hell.. that's scary.

My thing is even if the trans mount fails, are there not two engine mounts plus the roll resistor in place? Or maybe those are not strong enough to support that weight and partially failed.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

My thing is even if the trans mount fails, are there not two engine mounts plus the roll resistor in place? Or maybe those are not strong enough to support that weight and partially failed.
They dont hold the weight of the transmission. That bolt snaps and the transmision falls a good 3 to 4 inches

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts

The anti roll mount is just that. It keeps the engine from twisting. Most people hear call it the rear motor mount. It will not hold the engines weight in any way. You can actually drive without that mount. I don't recommend it. I had the mount threading strip on my old Focus and still drove it home slowly.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
139 Posts

They dont hold the weight of the transmission. That bolt snaps and the transmision falls a good 3 to 4 inches
Good to know these things. I assume this is still a very uncommon issue period, but very strange if that's what happened to the OP's car with such low mileage.

·
Registered
139 Posts

The anti roll mount is just that. It keeps the engine from twisting. Most people hear call it the rear motor mount. It will not hold the engines weight in any way. You can actually drive without that mount. I don't recommend it. I had the mount threading strip on my old Focus and still drove it home slowly.

Sent from another galaxy.
Right. I do know the RMM is not a structural or weight bearing mount as the upper mounts are. In the event of the engine tilting forward I would assume it would limit that to some degree though? Maybe not.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Good to know these things. I assume this is still a very uncommon issue period, but very strange if that's what happened to the OP's car with such low mileage.
Yeah this is the second time I've heard of this. The other car was a 2016 so I hope this doesn't become another issue on later cars

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your help! To further help explain, the only aftermarket mods to the car are a muffler and resonator delete. Other than that the car is completely bone stock I use this car as my daily to college 40 miles a day so I wont be doing much to the car. The dealership claimed this "The transmission is damaged and we have 100% proof that this was all caused by driver error there is nothing you can do about it" it seems a bit to me like they are trying to get me to pay for another transmission as punishment for contacting Corporate and having them crack down on them. They claim all damages to the car are completely my fault. I explained to them that it snowed (New York US) and that my car kept wheel hopping violently whenever I drove somewhere. To me that is not driver error. I spoke to some family members who used to be mechanics and they suggested I go down to the dealership and demand they show me exactly what in the tranny is broken. If I don't find anything I should ask them to fix the motor mounts and the front axles that they claimed where broken. If the car starts and drives then I dont need a new tranny, but if It doesn't then that's a different story. I'm just so angry that I had this car for 4 months and have 11,000 miles and they try to pull some garbage that I need a new tranny.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help! To further help explain, the only aftermarket mods to the car are a muffler and resonator delete. Other than that the car is completely bone stock I use this car as my daily to college 40 miles a day so I wont be doing much to the car. The dealership claimed this "The transmission is damaged and we have 100% proof that this was all caused by driver error there is nothing you can do about it" it seems a bit to me like they are trying to get me to pay for another transmission as punishment for contacting Corporate and having them crack down on them. They claim all damages to the car are completely my fault. I explained to them that it snowed (New York US) and that my car kept wheel hopping violently whenever I drove somewhere. To me that is not driver error. I spoke to some family members who used to be mechanics and they suggested I go down to the dealership and demand they show me exactly what in the tranny is broken. If I don't find anything I should ask them to fix the motor mounts and the front axles that they claimed where broken. If the car starts and drives then I dont need a new tranny, but if It doesn't then that's a different story. I'm just so angry that I had this car for 4 months and have 11,000 miles and they try to pull some garbage that I need a new tranny.
Try contacting your State Attorney General. I had an issue here years ago with a dealership where they tried to pull a fast one with financial paperwork. Contacted State AG and they cracked down on the dealership immediately. At least, that’s how it goes here in PA.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep.. other than inspecting the car myself, asking for documentation of said "proof" you're at fault and asking to be shown what is damaged, I would not directly deal with the dealership at this point.

I would only deal with Ford corporate and a lawyer depending on how corporate handles it. Maybe as suggested above State Attorney would be of some help?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Long story, the truth comes out in these warranty situations.
my car is currently at the dealership getting repaired. blown piston. 4th cylinder. 7-8k miles, can't remember its been a week. only mod i had on the car was a 91 octane tune from cobb + highflow filter. Long story short they told me the tune caused the piston to crack under stress. . called around , got cheaper prices, but in the end decided to go back to the dealership because they offered great warranty. They used a "scope" to find out the main cause of the problem. they said the piston broke in pieces, cracking the cylinder so i need a new long block automatically $5800.

wait, im getting to the part that could help many people.
Just put a down payment the other day on the longblock. Today, at my job, i talked to a guy. i've been serving him drinks at the bar every other day for years. Today, i just found out he owns a dealership, and is friends with the owner of 'my' dealership. And he told me 'thats ridiculous, you gained maybe 5 - 10 hp on a performance model and the engine couldn't handle it?' He called them immediately, spoke to the owner, apparently he knows him well and told me i'll be getting a call tomorrow and most likely be getting a refund for the long block i paid for, unless they already sent the ECU data to Ford then there are less chances, but not if the owner is 'good good' with FoCo.....

In conclusion people, it comes down to who you know in this world. CALL EVERYWHERE YOU CAN THINK OF, that deals with cars, that deals with repairing vehicles, because someone somewhere will most likely know someone involved in the final decisions of you getting it done for free or paying thousands out of pocket. its screwed up, and i almost want to say, guys, when you take your ST's back into a dealership for a repair that you are hesitant about being under warranty, ask to talk to the service manager alone, slip him a couple hundred bucks, and most likely they will help you out. Because that's more so than not what i was told i should have done.

·
Registered
825 Posts
With the engine sagging, most likely the shifter cables are damaged or at least bent.
So I also doubt the transmission is damaged. Most likely the shifter cables are in need of being replaced.
The cable ends are designed to break off to avoid causing the transmission damage.

So I agree the mounts should be fixed. Then check the transmission cables.
And if they are correct.. the transmission should be FINE.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts