Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been asked (didnt find it) but im having a very hard time deciding which to go with. I have heard and seen great things on both tunes. On one side of the coin i still have my warranty with the Ford tune. On the other side of the coin i have Cobb?s many tunes and features but no warranty. I dont see peeps with there car all busted due to the cobb tunes either, so i know cobb is reliable. The fords tune is about 60 bucks less then the cobb and only one tune - not an issue but if ima go with a tune i might as well get the cobb ap right? I see the ford tune gives me 90 additional pounds of torque on the low rpm band, but thats it. I know nothing about cobb other than what i see on here and on the net. What kind of performance will i get from cobb? More torque, how much? Horsepower, how much? Same torque as the ford tune? Im looking for ballpark numbers.

Mods i currently have; Magnaflow Exhaust, blow off valve, highflow air cleaner, and one step colder plugs. I will get a intercooler and some other things done soon as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
The warranty isn't kept. Instead its replaced by the Ford Racing warranty of 36k miles / 3 years. You lose the 60k mile warranty. The dealer has to prove its the parts fault or the tune's fault for any warranty claims to void it.

Just go with a cobb accessport and get a pro tune. Much more worth your time.

Reactions: fordboi415

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the Ford racing tune and I can honestly say that I am very happy with it. The 36k/3 year warranty was important to me considering I have a 2017 with a 3yr/36k mile warranty from Ford anyways. The car is a blast to drive around town and the extra torque and HP under curve is a plus. I'm sure if I decide to keep my car after 2-3 years I'll use a Cobb AP for some more aggressive tunes (say a big turbo) but for now the Ford racing tune has been well worth the scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Seeing as Ford will do everything they can to "D**k you over" regarding warranty service , I'd just use a better/more aggressive tuner. I got my ST "Stratified" at about 1700mi. I will not be taking my vehicle to Ford for any service unless absolutely necessary. They can't even seem to perform simple recall procedures (i.e.- hatch release fix) without frying customers components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I won't be taking my vehicle to the Ford dealer either.... as long as it's an ASE certified tech and you maintain appropriate records of proper maintenance then if you have a problem you're covered. I can't speak for everyone's Ford dealership but the one I'm closest to is a pretty legit dealership. Either way I can see the draw of the AP options. I can't say they are better honestly though as I have not driven a strat tuned ST. I can speak from my experience with my current tune and I love it and so far have had fun burning through my tires. I am hoping to dyno it soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im sure this has been asked (didnt find it) but im having a very hard time deciding which to go with. I have heard and seen great things on both tunes. On one side of the coin i still have my warranty with the Ford tune. On the other side of the coin i have Cobb?s many tunes and features but no warranty. I dont see peeps with there car all busted due to the cobb tunes either, so i know cobb is reliable. The fords tune is about 60 bucks less then the cobb and only one tune - not an issue but if ima go with a tune i might as well get the cobb ap right? I see the ford tune gives me 90 additional pounds of torque on the low rpm band, but thats it. I know nothing about cobb other than what i see on here and on the net. What kind of performance will i get from cobb? More torque, how much? Horsepower, how much? Same torque as the ford tune? Im looking for ballpark numbers.

Mods i currently have; Magnaflow Exhaust, blow off valve, highflow air cleaner, and one step colder plugs. I will get a intercooler and some other things done soon as well.

Thoughts?
Yes the Ford tune gives you up to 90 extra pounds of torque. It also gives you more HP earlier in your gears which translates to more available HP under curve. I like the concept of more peak HP but I like having more HP available through out the gear more. Especially for stomping it around town. It's all about preference of ride my friend! Look at what's important to you and make your choice. Either way you will end up with a car that is quicker than stock. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts