Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
As soon as I read this I logged into my owner.ford.com account. Sure enough confirmation this will affect us. I have a 2015 ST3. Bought Dec 2015, manufactured Apr/May 2015 if remember right.

I do a lot of highway driving through the dead parts of Alberta. Would really suck if my car stalled and would not restart in the middle of a highway 2 hours away from anything during a cold winter. Pretty serious issue if you ask me.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.24.29 PM.png

·
Registered
607 Posts
PCM update is the fix. I wonder if you flashed your AP tune back after the service was performed, if it would revert to software that that did not have the fix implemented.

·
Registered
708 Posts
No I don't think reflashing back to your tune after letting them do their thing will affect it, as I believe this is gonna be more like a firmware update then a software update, if that makes any sense and I don't mean that literally, I mean that as an analogy. Software can be updated on something without effecting the firmware. Firmware is fixed data on something, software is interactive data meaning easily changeable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No I don't think reflashing back to your tune after letting them do their thing will affect it, as I believe this is gonna be more like a firmware update then a software update, if that makes any sense and I don't mean that literally, I mean that as an analogy. Software can be updated on something without effecting the firmware. Firmware is fixed data on something, software is interactive data meaning easily changeable.
According to a post I saw from Stratified, the update may be changing the ROM on the ecu to one not supported by the AP's. They are waiting on a workaround with Cobb.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
According to a post I saw from Stratified, the update may be changing the ROM on the ecu to one not supported by the AP's. They are waiting on a workaround with Cobb.
I reached out to Stratified and they confirmed this. They are waiting to see what Ford does and to see if they will need to create new tunes based on a new rom.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I reached out to Stratified and they confirmed this. They are waiting to see what Ford does and to see if they will need to create new tunes based on a new rom.
In my local FB group(Ewww) theres been some that have already had the issue, one guy claims he already has an update from Cobb. How much of this is true? Well its FB so probably none of it. :haha:

·
Registered
607 Posts
another guy in a different thread emailed cobb and posted their response-- they dont have the updated ROM yet. so as expected, he's full of ****.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Looks like my VIN is affected...

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
another guy in a different thread emailed cobb and posted their response-- they dont have the updated ROM yet. so as expected, he's full of ****.
As far as I know no one has the new rom yet. Stratified said they will keep everyone posted when they have new info. I am sure they will be working with Cobb and Ford on this. We all just have to sit tight for a bit. as a2015 ST owner I have been waiting for a fix for a long time instead of them just shuffling us along. I don't currently have any of the symptoms other than a shudder hear and there at low speed/low rpm driving, but I still want the fix when the time is right and Stratified knows what to do.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Even the owner.ford.com website, says "remedy unavailable" at this time pretty much confirming noone has even had this re-call done yet. Anyone saying they had it done & got COBB to give them an updated tune is so full of sh*t that they should see a doctor.

I did not even consider that this might affect tuning! I was going to get it done ASAP but never-mind Ill be waiting, glad I came back to this thread. FocusST.org should make sure warnings are posted all over. **** this scares me now, like I said winter is coming & Id hate to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without heat.

Anyone else wondering if Ford is using this "fix" as an excuse to stop (slow down) the tuners?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Even the owner.ford.com website, says "remedy unavailable" at this time pretty much confirming noone has even had this re-call done yet. Anyone saying they had it done & got COBB to give them an updated tune is so full of sh*t that they should see a doctor.

I did not even consider that this might affect tuning! I was going to get it done ASAP but never-mind Ill be waiting, glad I came back to this thread. FocusST.org should make sure warnings are posted all over. **** this scares me now, like I said winter is coming & Id hate to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without heat.

Anyone else wondering if Ford is using this "fix" as an excuse to stop (slow down) the tuners?
I dont really see them doing it to try and mess with tuners. Unless tuners figure a way to do it stealthy, Ford can just deny warranty work anyway. This is probably the cheapest way for them to address the issue without going in and changing a ton of parts.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I spoke with my dealership yesterday and they don't even have the parts on hand for the issue. My service adviser, who is actually a cool dude, stated the recall was just announced at Ford Thursday morning during meetings. I don't think this has anything to do with the tuning world. I've had a serious issue where my ST will bog down badly on hot days when I re-start the car after it's been running or with the AC on while coming to a stop. I've never had it stall, but it feels like it's going to. It happens over and over again in the summer.

I'm assuming this has something to do with this recall, but I can't say the two are related. From what I've been told, letters won't be going out till Nov-Dec time frame.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
While we are on the subject guys. Should us people with global windows, and disabling the honk when leaving with keys be worried? Will it safely get over written, or are there chances of a massive failure occurring? I wonder if anyone even knows?

I just realized dealers have seen my Ford several times now with those 2 body module modifications & has never been even thought about.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I dont really see them doing it to try and mess with tuners. Unless tuners figure a way to do it stealthy, Ford can just deny warranty work anyway. This is probably the cheapest way for them to address the issue without going in and changing a ton of parts.
The recalls and campaigns can never be denied, and never expire. If, for example they have to remove something aftermarket to perform the recall, they can do that. They will not reinstall though, and if reinstalling that aftermarket component is affected due to the recall, its not their responsibility.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is it likely this could be a problem in european cars as well? Havent heard anything about this on this side of the pond.

I don't think so ? the guys here in Germany when I called were basically hearing about the recall for the first time through me... but maybe your dealer can still look into it? they check my VIN and said that my vehicle is affected and now they are waiting on the parts so my guess is they will replace it anyways and do the re calibration. But cant really confirm this for sure but my car is US spec

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
About this Discussion
127 Replies
43 Participants
alairforce94
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing