Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Early versions of the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine powering the Ford Focus RS likes to consume coolant.

The American automaker has confirmed to Autocar that some 2016 and 2017 Focus RS models produce 'white exhaust smoke' as they burn coolant during cold running. The company wouldn’t confirm a recall, but a spokesman did say Ford is 'working on a repair for all customers.' If owners are experiencing the issue and seeing white exhaust smoke, they are advised to visit their dealership for an inspection and repair under warranty.

Ford has already replaced several affected engines with brand new units built to the latest specifications.
Read more about Ford Acknowledges Focus RS Engines Have an Issue at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thats nice. When are the going to acknowledge all year ST's have electrical issues?
Unfortunately that ship sailed long ago. My question is how does this acknowledgement affect current sales of the RS? There are plenty of new and used 2016/2017 models sitting on dealership lots across the country.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Disappointed by the engineers and the company for putting out many models that have serious flaws. Its been a cash grab for the last 25-30 years and quality control is long gone.
I will never buy a Ford ever again, nor will I ever buy a New vehicle.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Unfortunately that ship sailed long ago. My question is how does this acknowledgement affect current sales of the RS? There are plenty of new and used 2016/2017 models sitting on dealership lots across the country.
I think potential buyers realized the car was overpriced and the car was not what is was supposed to be. The price should have dropped dramatically but it didn't. My uncles dealer has 16 on the lot they cant sell. I told him a couple days ago I would give them invoice on one and they countered offered with MSRP. I told them good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think potential buyers realized the car was overpriced and the car was not what is was supposed to be. The price should have dropped dramatically but it didn't. My uncles dealer has 16 on the lot they cant sell. I told him a couple days ago I would give them invoice on one and they countered offered with MSRP. I told them good luck.
I agree, here in Texas many dealers have new 2017 models priced between $35K and $40k. Adding taxes and fees you're still looking at an OTD price of ~ $40k or more. That was a hard pill to swallow for most potential buyers before all the issues appeared and the RS didn't live up to the hype. Of course the dealerships spin it as a "great deal" since MSRP on a 2017 RS2 is ~$42k. Here is just one example: https://www.westwayford.com/new/Ford/2017-Ford-Focus-888313ac0a0e0a1777641ac01376e4df.htm

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
that much money for a car knowing you will have to take it straight back to get your motor possibly rebuilt. i almost bit the bullet and traded my ST in for one. hard pass.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a real bummer. Guess it's a good thing they haven't sold many of them yet. Hopefully they'll bring everything they've learned from the ST and RS (engineering/pricing) into the 2019 Focus and we'll have something everyone wants.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Disappointed by the engineers and the company for putting out many models that have serious flaws. Its been a cash grab for the last 25-30 years and quality control is long gone.
I will never buy a Ford ever again, nor will I ever buy a New vehicle.
While I do not necessarily disagree with you, at the same time, I don't fully agree with you either. I do not disagree that Ford has certainly had their fair share of issues across their vehicle line but where I disagree is you refusing to buy Ford again is not going to relieve you of those headaches. All manufacturers have issues in one form or another, some more than others. I personally am "a Ford guy". We tend to align ourselves with brands that we like for one reason or another and stick with them unless done wrong in such an egregious way. My ST is my 4th Ford and across all 4, to this point, I have had very few issues. My 2009 Escape is my daily driver at 198,000 miles and the only issue I've had with it was the blower motor resistor failing, which was a $25 fix that took me 5-10 minutes. I understand that some have not been so lucky, that is unfortunate and I can appreciate their frustration. However, if you researched issues with any other manufacturer, you will find a fair amount of problems. Hell, Ferrari is made fun of due to their reputation for catching on fire and they cost A LOT more than any Ford (other than the GT perhaps). I have watched a lot of EricTheCarGuy videos, I don't know if you are familiar with him or not. But he has been an automotive technician for over 20 years in various environments (dealership, personal, etc...) and he frequently references common issues with part X from manufacturer Y. I believe he specializes in Honda/Acura and he could probably come up with quite of list of common/known issues with their vehicles over the years. So, again, I certainly do agree that Ford has had and continues to have issues with their vehicles. But all manufacturers do in some form. No car is built to perfection. I guess in the end it comes down to 2 things: 1) Your personal experience with that manufacturer and 2) Where your line is for a car that you like in terms of what you're willing to risk/endure for it.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Did they ever say what percent of RS's were affected by this? Was it early models and subsequently not an issue with later models or just a craps shoot?

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did they ever say what percent of RS's were affected by this? Was it early models and subsequently not an issue with later models or just a craps shoot?
It’s like 1-2%. There are polls floating around on Facebook pages for the RS, forum, ETC. And I’d say more than half the time people were tuned/modded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Sounds like it just received more negative attention than warranted if it was less than 5%, although I know I would be super annoyed and vocal if my new $40k hatch started smoking coolant like a steam train. thanks for the replies @dgreenberg and @ST2Focus

·
Registered
651 Posts
It’s like 1-2%. There are polls floating around on Facebook pages for the RS, forum, ETC. And I’d say more than half the time people were tuned/modded.

That's probably because more than half of all RS's are modded or tuned. Amirite?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have recently gotten to know a Ford technician at a local dealership and we were bs'ing about the RS and the ST. We didn't get into specifics in terms of specific years but he said they've been seeing plenty of issues with the RS's, particularly head gaskets and blowing up the transfer case. Now, I'm sure they do not get them on a regular basis but the RS's that they have gotten, have seemingly been these 2 issues mostly. He also mentioned most of them were tuned and therefore the repair work was not covered under warranty. On the bright side, he applauded my decision to go with the ST instead and said they have been really good cars and he hasn't seen any common issues lately with them.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same in uk on second hand market there are nearly as many Rs ‘s for sale as st!s 2016 onwards!

·
Registered
145 Posts
16 cars on the lot or a 16 RS?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts