Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing my Focus ST with the GT, but I'm worrying about daily driver things like space, drivability, comfort, etc. Specifically, I take a lot of day trips with my dog and I'm worried about going from the hatch and 4 door to the 2 door. Another issue, the roads around me are pretty beat up and potholes are everywhere. If I went with, say, the magneride, how would it feel in such ****ty conditions? Also, with never having owned such a powerful RWD and how much it rains here, does traction ever become an issue daily driving?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
There is NO room in a moostang for a doggie, period...unless you have a purse dog, and those aren’t really dogs ?

There are a couple of us on here in the same boat, if I didn’t have two 100# German shepherds, I would be rockin a gt350 ?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,569 Posts
Such a fantastic car. My brother in law has a 17 (i know there are some pretty substantial changes between the 17 and 18 MY) and the s550 platform is so refined. Not sure about magnaride but the base suspension rides nice but stays firmly planted on rough roads, which there are no shortage of around here.

The traction control is very smooth and you shouldn't have an issue. Gradually introduce yourself to the power with rhe TC off though, otherwise you'll make it into another mustang crash video.

Reactions: JCH841

·
Banned
885 Posts
It sounds like an AWD RS would be better for you? However if the Mustang is what you want then buy it. YOLO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love mustangs, but I wouldn't use it for year round driving unless you are in a no snow state. Plus carrying a dog isn't practical in a mustang. Power of a car really doesn't matter it's the driver behind the wheel. You have to respect it and learn to drive all over again or it will bite you. That is why you see so many wrecked high hp car with low miles hellcats, zl1, mustangs etc.... People just jump in and floor and it gets away real quick. I just drove my sister's 800hp Z06. It is tame as it can be just tooling down the road, and I hit the fun pedal a little too much and the rear started to break loose at 60 which made my nether regions pucker a little, and I barely goosed it. I'm not that experienced yet with higher hp cars so I'm working my way up and learning how to handle it. It's like Mike Tyson said " everyone has a plan til they get punched in the face " I've looked at mustangs and seriously thought about it, but for me it isn't practical. Just my 2 cents

18' ST1 (wife's stock for now) & 06' Mercury Grand Marquis (mine, definitely not stock)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I love mustangs, but I wouldn't use it for year round driving unless you are in a no snow state. Plus carrying a dog isn't practical in a mustang. Power of a car really doesn't matter it's the driver behind the wheel. You have to respect it and learn to drive all over again or it will bite you. That is why you see so many wrecked high hp car with low miles hellcats, zl1, mustangs etc.... People just jump in and floor and it gets away real quick. I just drove my sister's 800hp Z06. It is tame as it can be just tooling down the road, and I hit the fun pedal a little too much and the rear started to break loose at 60 which made my nether regions pucker a little, and I barely goosed it. I'm not that experienced yet with higher hp cars so I'm working my way up and learning how to handle it. It's like Mike Tyson said " everyone has a plan til they get punched in the face " I've looked at mustangs and seriously thought about it, but for me it isn't practical. Just my 2 cents

18' ST1 (wife's stock for now) & 06' Mercury Grand Marquis (mine, definitely not stock)
This is interesting, I will admit never been inside a true high HP car. I am used to flooring my ST all the time because I know the power I will get and I know how to manage it. For this reason now I have become too comfortable flooring other vehicles, today I hopped in a Hyundai Elentra GT rental car, lol dont worry obviously too underpowered to be a problem, but I was pushing that engine to its limits with WOT all throughout. Obviously just having fun, but I was being stupid considering I did not know what I would get out of the car. Fortunately the car had much less than the ST for power, but that could of been different. I could see myself being that idiot who jumps in a Mustang one day and wraps it around a tree, but maybe not now that I read this good advice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Rent a convertible 4cyl for a weekend and if you like it and it works for you get the GT. That's my go to rental car whenever I travel. I like them a lot. Just drove this one to deals gap from Asheville.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,569 Posts
@GammaRadiation those new 4 cylinders are faster than the 2010 and older GT's. Theyre no slouch. But very solid advice there.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I wonder how a modded ST would hold up (all driver skills being equal) against a stock 18' GT at the track? On the long straights I'm sure a GT would overtake, curious about the turns and braking points with a stage 3 ST that has suspension & a RS front rotor/Brembo + frankenbrake upgrade.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
or for that matter a RS vs GT at the track.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wonder how a modded ST would hold up (all driver skills being equal) against a stock 18' GT at the track? On the long straights I'm sure a GT would overtake, curious about the turns and braking points with a stage 3 ST that has suspension & a RS front rotor/Brembo + frankenbrake upgrade.
They handle great. Not sure how they compare to a modes ST but overall, coming from a NA miata and ST, I'm not disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
4,569 Posts
I'd imagine a GT with the Performance Pack would eat an ST or RS in all track aspects. The s550 platform has exceptional handling, the gen 2 and gen 3 coyote engines have massive power, the transmission ratios (auto and manual) keep power delivery in the sweet spot at all times, brembo brakes, recaro seats, and pilot sport 4s tires.

The 18+ performance pack cars with the 10 speed auto will run an 11.90 quarter mile off the showroom floor, as an acceleration statistic for comparison. Not sure what kind of lateral and braking G's they will pull but I'd imagine those numbers are recorded somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts