Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. I am thinking about getting a Focus ST with ST3 package. I owned one in 2013 and traded in 2015 because the Recaro's were killing me back. I drive a WRX now and while I love it, I drive a lot of highway on a daily commute and road noise is pretty bad. So, I'm thinking of going to my Ford dealer and making them an offer to buy ST3 IF and only IF they swap the seats with the base. (I'll test drive base first to make sure they are comfortable, but, everything I read is that they are o.k.). Anyway, for those that have swapped seats, I was wondering if there is loss of functionality with Heated Seats and Power Seats? Basically, if I swap am I looking a Manual only seat with no heating capability? Wasn't sure if those functions get incorporated into the base seat after the swap or is that impossible? No idea if the dealer would even entertain the idea of a swap.
Damian

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, I have an ST1 so you would definitely lose the seat heaters. I would think you'd lose the power seat too as the seats would likely move from car to car with their bases/mounting frames and the base on the ST3s is what holds the power mechanism. That said you can easily and cheaply add seat heaters to the cloth seats, even Costco does it, though you'd be out of luck on the power seat.
I highly doubt a dealer would want to do a swap of cars in stock but there are tons of ST1 owners here who want the Recaros and would love to swap them out with you. You might even see some $$$ back which would cover the seat heater install.
P.S., I got the cloth seats because as nice as they look I don't fit well in the Recaros.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The big problem with swapping seats is the air bags do not work right without plenty of computer putzing.
No dealer will do the putzing for you.
Plus no dealer will swap stuff from any other car they are selling.

So you need to find another private person to swap with.
IMO trading away the seats is a big mistake. Mainly when it comes time to sell the car.
The modified car will be worthless to any dealer. (they jut do not want cars which have been hacked.

So I would find seats from a junk car. and save the OEM seats.
The ST1 seats and the early MK3 SE with sport package are the same seats. So there are more seats out there than just from wrecked ST1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts