Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

I just keep seeing these stories over and over again. My girlfriend has a 2013 base focus with this piece of garbage transmission in it. It got 'serviced' once for jerking and then we had to bring it back and the dealer had to replace the clutch packs. Thank heavens the car had a warranty and it was covered but how long before the transmisson starts acting up again.

Glad I have an ST.

Great side note. In the story I link they picture a focus st which is funny.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had friends and family ask me about cars they should or shouldn't purchase. I tell all of them to specifically avoid the 2012- Focus and any Fiesta with this transmission.

I rented one of these in 2012 and drove it over 500 miles in one weekend. I think it had between 10k and 20k on the odometer. It ran well on the highway but it herked and jerked in first gear in any condition. I knew at that time that Ford probably had a major design flaw on their hands. To this day, I don't know why they didn't abandon the unit for a traditional automatic with a torque converter. Yes, the weight of the cars would have increased. Yes, the fuel economy would have decreased. But they'd have a couple billion extra dollars, and there would be far fewer future customers who "will never own a Ford again".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had friends and family ask me about cars they should or shouldn't purchase. I tell all of them to specifically avoid the 2012- Focus and any Fiesta with this transmission.

I rented one of these in 2012 and drove it over 500 miles in one weekend. I think it had between 10k and 20k on the odometer. It ran well on the highway but it herked and jerked in first gear in any condition. I knew at that time that Ford probably had a major design flaw on their hands. To this day, I don't know why they didn't abandon the unit for a traditional automatic with a torque converter. Yes, the weight of the cars would have increased. Yes, the fuel economy would have decreased. But they'd have a couple billion extra dollars, and there would be far fewer future customers who "will never own a Ford again".
Yeah man. Ford wouldn't be my first choice for a vehicle but sometimes you can't pass up a good deal on a ST.

Me and my gf weren't together at the time she bought her focus but if we were, I would of advised a Toyota or honda.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It wasn't just those years my lady who I have been with for going 17 yrs since we were 16 had a 2 focuses her mom and dad bought her. A zx3 backin 04 or 05 and that was an automatic that they went through 2 trans in before lemoning the car and then gave her a year or two newer zx3 5speed which wasn't a half bad car. Man those things were dogs though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My 2012 SE was as reliable as Toyota's reputation. Of course, it did have a manual transmission. A shame that such a good car not only had its reputation ruined by the typical kind of shady BS I would have expected from Ford in the past (why I was never interested in a Ford before the SE), but I think it's a big reason the new one isn't being sold in the US. Kind of hard to make enough money with the kind of ongoing warranty claims and sales hit due to the hurt reputation working against an already declining market in a low-profit sector.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Had two automatic Focuses as loaners while my ST was in for work.

The first time I had one, I was legitimately freaked out when it continued to accelerate for almost 2 seconds after I let off the gas. Not cool. I did drive one from Chicago down to Nashville and got 40 mpg while steadily doing 90 though I think that speaks more to the engine than the wonky ass transmission.

Believe it or not, there was a guy on here who worked for Ford who legitimately defended these garbage transmissions. It was wild.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Toyota never would have allowed this kind of **** to make it to production. And American companies wonder why Americans don't support "American Made". For decades.... maybe more they foisted complete **** on the American consumer. This is just more of the same.

People who stand behind this **** have no pride. Don't give me **** about buying a Kia when Ford, the inventory of the automobile is willing to go deliver this crap on their customer base.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
A zx3 backin 04 or 05 and that was an automatic that they went through 2 trans in before lemoning the car and then gave her a year or two newer zx3 5speed which wasn't a half bad car. Man those things were dogs though.
the auto zx3 must have been a fluke. The auto in the 00-11's was fine, I've been on focus forums for over a decade and heard very little issues with them. My sister is still racking up the miles on her '07 ses and zero problems with the trans (or anything outside of wear items)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Those were actual automatics, not DCTs. Going by the reputation, it seems that any issues with the autos would have been much less than with the DCTs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the auto zx3 must have been a fluke. The auto in the 00-11's was fine, I've been on focus forums for over a decade and heard very little issues with them. My sister is still racking up the miles on her '07 ses and zero problems with the trans (or anything outside of wear items)
It seems that the biggest problem with the four-speed auto from 99 to 11 is the solenoid pack. If you're handier than, say, brake changes this could be a DIY item. But even if you're not, replacement of the pack won't set you back nearly as much as a new transmission.

I'd gladly own a 2011-2018 Focus so long as it has a manual transmission. I've always been impressed with the copies I've rented. But that DCT? Not. A. Chance.

My in-laws recently purchased a 2016-ish Fiesta with the DCT. They didn't consult me before buying it, in which case I'd have begged them to stay clear of it. I've driven it, and the DCT works perfectly. But that doesn't mean I trust it for the long run, because I don't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It wasn't just those years my lady who I have been with for going 17 yrs since we were 16 had a 2 focuses her mom and dad bought her. A zx3 backin 04 or 05 and that was an automatic that they went through 2 trans in before lemoning the car and then gave her a year or two newer zx3 5speed which wasn't a half bad car. Man those things were dogs though.
FYI, my 2004 ZX3 2.3 Duratec 5-speed is still going strong with almost 280,000 miles.
Still no oil use between 10,000 mile changes.
I gave it one trans fluid change at around 120,000 miles.
The only items replaced have been the right halfshaft, the A/C compressor, and a couple coils. Even the clutch is original.
I run it hard every day. It still revs right up to the fuel cut, and will pull right up to the speed limiter at 109mph without a hiccup, and still gets 30+mpg.
I sure can't complain. :fordsmilie:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 2012 Focus with auto transmission as a company car, and had the thing for 4 years. After putting up with the shuddering for a while I mentioned it to the Ford Service guy when it went in for a service, and I was told that 'it was normal'. Now, I'm in retail and it doesn't take a mechanic to work out that, that piece of **** car was a lemon. Mind you this was the same Service department that left the oil cap off after doing a service, and I drove the thing around a week before I lifted the bonnet and noticed that lining under the hood was soaked, an dripping in oil.. Anyway, it eventually **** itself completely and it wouldn't start, but not once would those Ford guys admit that there was something wrong with that car.

But I ended up buying the 15 ST, just before the 2012 had to be handed in. I 'got hooked by the look'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts