Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 focus st1 and like most people, I wish I had the large screen like the ST2 and ST3 come with. However I wasn't financially able to afford those. So I was wondering if it's possible to replace my ST1 stereo with the Stereo that comes in the nicer models. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You can do one better. I beleivie you can install an aftermarket stereo from the likes of Alpine, Pioneer, Etc... There are dash kits for the ST1 models that allow this.

While I appreciate the ST2 system in my car, I hate all the other baggage that comes with it, in the form of the DSP, integrated amp, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't seen a kit for the 2015+ yet.
There's kits for 15+; Rebel Devil carries one.

Only thing difficult about it would be having to rewire the OE backup camera.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

Eww. I wish there were more android options, but android options that had real hardware (CPU)and real screens. Not the antiquated, low end junk the market is flooded with.

But yes, there are complete android sytems with new bezels to hook right in, plug and play.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Eww. I wish there were more android options, but android options that had real hardware (CPU)and real screens. Not the antiquated, low end junk the market is flooded with.

But yes, there are complete android sytems with new bezels to hook right in, plug and play.
I wish that too. Sadly none right now.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

interesting, looking at there site, the only thing I see is their cheap sh!t Chinese full radios, I didn't see an aftermarket dash kit anywhere?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I've been waiting to get actual conformation if that kit is indeed for 2015+ since it still has the center lock button from the 13&14s.

please update us if it does work for you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yes that is the new dash kit that was released a month or two ago. it definitely does have the right differences from the 99-5827b kit that should make it work and fit correctly. I haven't seen it used yet so I cant speak to how good it functions, but hopefully it works well.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...h-kit-99-5843b-15-up-focus-non-amplified.html
I'll probably be pulling the trigger on this soon. Maybe ill be the first? Just gotta decide what radio I want. And amp/sub combo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll probably be pulling the trigger on this soon. Maybe ill be the first? Just gotta decide what radio I want. And amp/sub combo.
I'd be super interested in how that turns out. If everything works the way its supposed to work...meaning all the oem stuff is still fine...like using the OEM mic. No issues with the back up camera...etc. Good luck and please post back with that you find out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd be super interested in how that turns out. If everything works the way its supposed to work...meaning all the oem stuff is still fine...like using the OEM mic. No issues with the back up camera...etc. Good luck and please post back with that you find out.
Will do will probably be after the first of the year. Im supposed to be getting Christmas money to do it all with so we will see!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
like using the OEM mic.
I would never try to use the OEM mic, I've tried it on about 15 cars or more over the years, every time it comes back with poor performance. OEM mics almost never happen to have the right gain to what the aftermarket radio wants to see. they are either very quiet and the person on the other end of the line can barely hear you or the mic is too sensitive and your voice just has way too much distortion. if you really don't want to see the new mic, you are often better off taking the OEM mic out of the overhead console and placing the aftermarket mic in its place (even this is often not ideal as the sound can get muffled by the surrounding enclosure)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would never try to use the OEM mic, I've tried it on about 15 cars or more over the years, every time it comes back with poor performance. OEM mics almost never happen to have the right gain to what the aftermarket radio wants to see. they are either very quiet and the person on the other end of the line can barely hear you or the mic is too sensitive and your voice just has way too much distortion. if you really don't want to see the new mic, you are often better off taking the OEM mic out of the overhead console and placing the aftermarket mic in its place (even this is often not ideal as the sound can get muffled by the surrounding enclosure)
Interesting.... Ill keep that in mind during the install then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting.... Ill keep that in mind during the install then.
I emailed them and asked if it would retain the OEM mic.
- Yes, but only for Sync related activities.

I asked them if you could remap the "talk button" to trigger either Siri or the Google assistant on an aftermarket unit, he said no. However he said you could map other buttons to do that. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to though. So looks like we gotta run the aftermarket mic and if you care about sync, you can leave the OEM one there for that purpose.

I asked him if it retained all the steering wheel controls.
- Yes

I asked him if it retained USB/Aux
- No, you'd have to run your separate cables.

Overall, not bad.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I emailed them and asked if it would retain the OEM mic.
- Yes, but only for Sync related activities.
which when replacing the radio, I never recommending retaining the sync system, any good radio is going to do everything sync does like USB playback, BT phone and audio streaming, and there are a few radios that will also support voice controls (although you wont be able to control certain things over voice like climate controls) and to retain Sync, you will have to have it come into the radio vis an AUX channel so it adds an extra step of having to manually switch the new radio over to the aux channel before you can use any part of the Sync system

I asked them if you could remap the "talk button" to trigger either Siri or the Google assistant on an aftermarket unit, he said no. However he said you could map other buttons to do that. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to though.
main reason is that with most of the Ford systems, the audio control buttons are routed to the main radio unit all through one wire (with varying resistances per button) and the sync buttons all go through a different wire to a separate Sync module.
now a lot of SW control adapters can be used or modified to utilize these buttons, but you will have to find that second wire (and often ground a second reference wire) either at the Sync module or at the steering column itself after it exits from the clockspring and run that into the SW control module. if this kit has the SW control module built into the radio integration module (which is sometimes inside the dash kit itself at the buttons) then to do this, you would have to not use the integrated SW controls and add a stand alone module. metra's SW controllers usually don't allow for this (but their standalone modules can be setup to do it) but some like Maestro's can accept multiple channels. long story short, its probably possible but its going to cost a bit more and be a pain in the ass to do.

I asked him if it retained USB/Aux
- No, you'd have to run your separate cables.
and because of the type of USB cable connector Ford uses, you can take the OEM USB port (only the front one since hubs are not supported) out and trim out some of the rubber on the new USB cable, stick it back into teh hole and glue it into place for a perfect OEM look.

for example, this is one I did for a friends 2nd gen escape (yes different panel but its does the same way for a focus)

20160218_152247.jpg

first the new USB cable needs to be trimmed back so that the connector can be inserted deep enough and stick out perfectly flush like the OEM did

20160218_152331.jpg

this this is with that new USB cable inserted and glued in to the OEM panel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts