Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an aftermarket amp and subwoofers installed in my car a week ago... After the installation I notice that a few channels were a bit crappy in the connection department. Now I reconnected the antenna a couple times and sadly it didn't really help... If anybody has and solution to this problem I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Shop install? Take it back? Friend install? More info needed. How did they convert the signal to the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Is the amp class D?

Due to how they work, digital amps will create a lot of EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) or RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) and this RFI will effect your radio reception. Some amps have next to no RF shielding around the components that emit the RFI and they can almost completely block out radio reception. Some amps have good shielding and have almost no effect on radio receptions. And a lot of amps fall somewhere between these two extremes. Unfortunately, there is not really too much you can do about the problem aside from trying a different brand of amp until you fine one that is better. Some cars are also more sensitive to this RFI than others so what may work well in one car may not work well at all in another... Usually cars with shorter antennas and then signal boosters get hot the worse.

If this is just a sub amp, then it's pretty easy to test to see if this is your problem. Turn it on and set it to a radio station that is having problems that you now should be coming in clear. Then either pull the fuse for the amp or disconnect the amp turn on wire and see if the problem with reception goes away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the amp class D?

Due to how they work, digital amps will create a lot of EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) or RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) and this RFI will effect your radio reception. Some amps have next to no RF shielding around the components that emit the RFI and they can almost completely block out radio reception. Some amps have good shielding and have almost no effect on radio receptions. And a lot of amps fall somewhere between these two extremes. Unfortunately, there is not really too much you can do about the problem aside from trying a different brand of amp until you fine one that is better. Some cars are also more sensitive to this RFI than others so what may work well in one car may not work well at all in another... Usually cars with shorter antennas and then signal boosters get hot the worse.

If this is just a sub amp, then it's pretty easy to test to see if this is your problem. Turn it on and set it to a radio station that is having problems that you now should be coming in clear. Then either pull the fuse for the amp or disconnect the amp turn on wire and see if the problem with reception goes away.

It is a kicker cx 600.1 class D amp
But yeah only on a few stations that before it never did this on.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Have you tried testing it with the amp not powered up yet to see if it was the problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried testing it with the amp not powered up yet to see if it was the problem?

I haven't actually tested it by fully disconnecting the amp... But when I turn the car off with the doors closed, the static will go away since the amp is powered off. Now is there anyway other than buying a new amp that will fix this?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I haven't actually tested it by fully disconnecting the amp... But when I turn the car off with the doors closed, the static will go away since the amp is powered off. Now is there anyway other than buying a new amp that will fix this?

Short of re-engineering the amp or wrapping it in lead foil? No.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts