Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I have fell in love with the Focus st. Everything just feels right when i'm seated in the recaros. However, given the long thread regarding the missfire issue and with no resolution after two years, I feel it wouldn't be prudent to purchase the car. What are your thoughts? I suppose i'm hoping to be convinced to buy anyway, but it seems reckless to purchase this car based solely on emotion knowing the missfire issue looming in the background, which i'm sure will give me anxiety.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Misfire issue? I got 65k and no misfire

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2016 Focus ST2
886 Posts
Yea get a GTI. You seem to have an anxiety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lol aren't you going to worry about lspi, and idle stalling and electrical Gremlins that show up on 10 cars out of thousands built....I currently own my third focus , so I have some faith in these cars

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
^ what he said. On my second ST with combined 70,000 miles. No issues on either car.
Knock on wood (taps head).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought mine solely on emotion Fall of 2012 before all these issues were happening and I lived to tell about it.

I was one of the unfortunate with intermitted misfire issues. The first recall repair was done by a careless tech who did a horrible faulty repair. It was good for maybe 3 weeks before it acted up again. After finally being able to pin point the issue by moving my harness and it resulting in misfire I opened up the harness to discover the mess that tech did. I took it back and nicely showed them and they fixed it right "nocking on wood". It has been running better and smoother than it ever has since I bought it.

That being said I have fallen back in love with my ST and it has been a great and fun little car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ what he said. On my second ST with combined 70,000 miles. No issues on either car.
Knock on wood (taps head).
That's great to hear. I wondered if although there are 150+ pages with owners experiencing the missfire issue, in the grand scheme of things it would be a small insignificant number with a less than likely chance of happening.

I tried the GTI and it wasn't for me. I preferred the Focus because it felt raw and enjoyable whereas the refined driving of the GTI left me numb and bored.

I wish there was data on the probability of owners experiencing the missfire issue, or perhaps i'll need to quantify this by sifting through threads and making a tally.

Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There are four other local ST owners in my immediate area, none of them have had misfire problems yet.

I am not trying to under play the problem, but as others have said, a GTi may be for you if you are worried.

Currently I am at 18k with zero issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Another factor to consider regarding the misfire issue is that it's a nuisance, not a system failure. The car is falsely reporting a misfire, when infact the sensor & software issue that is misreading the engine during the first 1000 revolutions at start up (within the first minute, during warm up), if my dealer's explanation is to be trusted.

Plus every car has it's Achilles heel.

You will never find any actual statistics for the percentage of the vehicles that have this problem because that would be bad press for Ford, even it was a mere 1%. Remember, if you wake up and car works fine you don't jump on the internet and rant how it ran just fine today. The internet represents a complaint bias, giving a voice to those who have no where else to go to vent when something does go wrong. I was pissed when I got the P0300 and P0316 code last month. But the car drove just fine the whole time and I was mostly irritated with disappointing dealer service. My current strategy right now is I have stopped using 87 octane, as lower octane is more prone to predetonation, which is associated with actual misfire.

I don't have the answer for you. But I have no current intentions of giving up my ST anytime soon. I love this car. And I'm still stock after 2 years.

Which leads me to my final thought... Go big and get the RS. Different engine, maybe it won't have this problem. How about that for justification. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't know if you are aware, but if you buy a new ST (Focus or Fiesta) you get a day at Ford's Octane Academy in Utah for free. The OA guys claim it is a $2,500 value, and I believe them, I mean it felt like it to me. They should have a doctor on staff there because we are told we should see one if we get an erection lasting more than four hours. I drove my ST 4,000 miles round trip to attend and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now I'm not bringing this up to try to bribe you to go with an ST (or RS), but to point out the reliability of these cars.

The OA uses a small fleet of ST cars both Focuses and Fiestas, I believe they were 2013 models, but don't quote me on the year. The abuse and punishment these cars endure is almost criminal. I mean these cars get the SNOT driven out of them day in and day out. As a participant, they told us to drive it like we stole it, and I thought I was, but then we did a ride along with the instructor driving, and I almost threw up. These cars give 100% of their acceleration into each corner, then give 100% of their brakes as they approach the turn, then give 100% of their turning ability as they go through the turns, tires squealing everywhere. Then it happens again, and again, and again. These poor cars! The average MPG showed in the SINGLE digits, they are driven so hard.
Talking with the instructors, the cars have never had a major problem. Of course, they go through tires (they use Michelins) and brakes, several had their Check Engine light on, and at least one of them needed new shifter bushings,but otherwise they are all still hanging in there, giving more on any given day than most cars give over their whole lifetime.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I just purchased a '17 two weeks ago. This is the first time I have heard of a/the misfire issue. I honestly take what I read on message forums with a grain of salt. Over the years I've read many things on forums about various cars. For instance my '12 WRX supposedly had glass piston rings and would blow up if you did any upgrades at all. Anytime someone would inquire about the slightest issue with an engine, the general response was..."you're moded, congratulations you just blew up your motor". They also said the transmission was mad of glass as well and would implode if shifted hard. It was hilarious, however it did cause a lot of folks to second guess their purchase and some to not purchase. I was a stage 2 car, beat it pretty good and never had one issue. Same thing with the '16 Tacoma I just got out of. People complained about the transmission gear hunting at highway speed. I experienced it, however it was nothing like the masses would lead you to believe.

What I'm getting at is, I'm with bobharley on this. The internet is but a small representation of actual owners of any given product. Out of the 2% of actual happenings, you'll read about it 80% of the time on the internet. Therefore giving you this inclination that it happens way more often then not. Not only this, there is the forum bandwagon mentality, I.E. I read about it, it must be true, so now I'm going to post about it when asked even thou its never happened to me. So you end up with a very small issue that has turned into a large snowball by proxy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two years with the ST and have never been back to the dealer for any issues, just oil/filter changes and tire rotations. Happy customer. I suspect the misfire issue affects less than 5% of owners, it's a big deal if you are in that unlucky camp bot overall most owners are happy campers.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
What I'm getting at is, I'm with bobharley on this. The internet is but a small representation of actual owners of any given product. Out of the 2% of actual happenings, you'll read about it 80% of the time on the internet. Therefore giving you this inclination that it happens way more often then not. Not only this, there is the forum bandwagon mentality, I.E. I read about it, it must be true, so now I'm going to post about it when asked even thou its never happened to me. So you end up with a very small issue that has turned into a large snowball by proxy.
Ford bought my car back because of this non issue. They paid out more than I spent on the car. The dealership where I had my car serviced saw 4 other cars come in with the same issue while I was dealing with it. They also kept my car for a total of 58 days while technicians, Ford’s service hotline and field service engineers tried and repeatedly failed, to repair the issue.

I’m all for thinking positive and minimalizing a legitimate problem in the hopes it doesn’t occur to something you paid money for, but it is a legitimate concern. However, the truly scary topic is Ford service and the horrendous dealership service experience that Ford provides.

God save you if you ever have to take your car in for any type of warranty work. Learning how worthless a new car warranty from Ford is... that’s not a small issue.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ford bought my car back because of this non issue. They paid out more than I spent on the car. The dealership where I had my car serviced saw 4 other cars come in with the same issue while I was dealing with it. They also kept my car for a total of 58 days while technicians, Ford’s service hotline and field service engineers tried and repeatedly failed, to repair the issue.

I’m all for thinking positive and minimalizing a legitimate problem in the hopes it doesn’t occur to something you paid money for, but it is a legitimate concern. However, the truly scary topic is Ford service and the horrendous dealership service experience that Ford provides.

God save you if you ever have to take your car in for any type of warranty work. Learning how worthless a new car warranty from Ford is... that’s not a small issue.
Sorry to hear this, but glad Ford came through at the end of the day with a buy back. I'm in no way trying to down play the issue itself or suggest its non-existent. I can honestly say I've never had good luck with any dealer other then KIA when it comes to warranty work. Ford, Pontiac, Toyota, mazada. I'm a Ford guy for the most part, however over the course of about 20 years, I've been left extremely dissatisfied with their customer support/warranty work, or lack there of. They either cant duplicate the issue, say its normal or find some reason to deny warranty work. I've tried various Ford dealers over the years and still the outcome would be the same. Like I said, Ford isn't the only manufacturer playing these warranty games. Hell, I don't even bother purchasing the extended warranty when I buy new cars these days.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but glad Ford came through at the end of the day with a buy back. I'm in no way trying to down play the issue itself or suggest its non-existent. I can honestly say I've never had good luck with any dealer other then KIA when it comes to warranty work. Ford, Pontiac, Toyota, mazada. I'm a Ford guy for the most part, however over the course of about 20 years, I've been left extremely dissatisfied with their customer support/warranty work, or lack there of. They either cant duplicate the issue, say its normal or find some reason to deny warranty work. I've tried various Ford dealers over the years and still the outcome would be the same. Like I said, Ford isn't the only manufacturer playing these warranty games. Hell, I don't even bother purchasing the extended warranty when I buy new cars these days.
I had very good luck with Honda service when I owned an Accord.

Ford has been brutal... and not only in regards to the misfire thing. Oil changes, simple tsb repairs, etc... they somehow manage to screw everything up.

But hey, here’s to hoping your optimism in the ST comes through. I’m so dumb that I got another one after my first one went back to Ford so I’ve absolutely got my fingers crossed. I can’t lie though... every time I let my cold car idle for a while, I’m expecting to see that check engine light pop on. I hope to someday not think that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had very good luck with Honda service when I owned an Accord.

Ford has been brutal... and not only in regards to the misfire thing. Oil changes, simple tsb repairs, etc... they somehow manage to screw everything up.

But hey, here’s to hoping your optimism in the ST comes through. I’m so dumb that I got another one after my first one went back to Ford so I’ve absolutely got my fingers crossed. I can’t lie though... every time I let my cold car idle for a while, I’m expecting to see that check engine light pop on. I hope to someday not think that way.
A couple of questions as I have no time been following closely enough this board:

Is this multiple dealers or one dealer?

Would you suggest against getting the Ford warranty because of this?

Is the Buy a GTI statement serious or sarcastic and why?

These are serious questions, not trying to pull an opinion out or any of that nonsense. Just wanted to better understand your points and better utilize them when I go forward with purchasing an ST in the Spring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I refuse to pay for an extended warranty from any manufacturer. The extended warranties are always with a private company, not the dealership, so it's hassle in my opinion if you ever need any work done. You are adding a 3rd party to the negotiation to get your car fixed. I've owned GM, Ford and Chrysler products, and while I liked the cars I owned, I always dread going to the dealership. GM was the best of the three, but that dealership went out of business so clearly good service and profits seem to be exclusive concepts in certain brands. Poor service can be found anywhere, so while I don't like my local dealer, I must concede that the local Jiffy Lube I went to last weekend tried to scam me into multiple services. I asked for a minute to look at the paperwork for a moment before agreeing to anything and discovered they added an extra "0" to my mileage. My car had gone from 19k miles to 190k miles and all the services due with that... Regarding Toyota, I've only been to the parts desk, but they were helpful. Regarding Honda, they seem friendly and helpful, but as my mother-in-law points out, expensive too.

The GTI comments are serious. People who have been burned are not being sarcastic. Personally, VW is not a brand I'm excited about. Plus, everyone I've known with a VW loves their car till it breaks... then it cost more (allegedly) to repair as another car in the same segment. My wife knew someone ten years ago who had to remove the front clip to change a light bulb. Most of the cost was labor. I don't know the specifics, so this example degrades into the realm of urban legend. But urban legend is relevant to the conversation because we are ultimately asking what is our risk vs. the representative sample of internet postings?

There are two types of car buyers. Those who need an appliance to get around. And the small minority of enthusiast who are deeply passionate about their vehicle choices. I like the ST because it is a bit raw and untamed. The imperfections give it a personality. I hope that engine light doesn't come back on, but if it does I'm not worried. My first couple cars were older carburated cars so I know what a misfire feels like. So I'm going to risk it. Do I recommend you take a risk like that? I can't do that. I'm not you. It's your money and your comfort level. Personally, I went looking for a WRX and came home with the ST instead because I like the ST better--which is obcourse totally illogical, but I'm the one driving it, so how I FEEL matters most.

YOu want real advice? Go look at and test drive as many cars as possible that are potentially interesting to you. Even the marginally interesting ones. You might find something unexpected like I did.

And remember, every car has an Achilles Heel...

1965 Mustang: Beautiful fun car. Terrible handling. Scary in the rain when pushed.
1993 Mustang: Fun car. Handling felt good till you reached the edge, then it would let go and oversteer. Also scary in the rain when pushed.
2004 Pontiac GTO: Automatic trans made it a ruthlessly efficient APPLIANCE. Bored. Fast, good handling despite it's weight, but Bored. Also, Rear differentials are notorious for failed pinion bearings, a $3000 part plus labor. And you have to wait two weeks to get that part.
2012 Grand Caravan: Engine randomly turns off during driving. No one can figure out why. Mechanic says everything checks out. Gremlins?
2008 Grand Cherokee: Transmission likes to hunt for gears. All that Hemi power and can't use it when needed the most.
2000 4Runner: Every two years it needed all new brakes. Finally, upgraded to Tacoma calipers for a mod repair, but never trusted the brakes on that car for more than 2 years at a time.
1982 Cavalier and 1988 S10 Blazer: Disintegrating interiors, non-existent performance and Appliance like reliability to start up every day without hassle.
2015 Focus ST: 1 engine light in 19k miles, that turned out to be a false alert (allegedly). Everything else is awesome. Not bad when I consider my past/current vehicles.

I could add more cars to the list, but you get the idea. Problems are serious base on your tolerance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts