Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently got my turbo replaced about 200 miles ago. i have a new cobb intercooler as well and the turbo was working completely fine until today. i turned my car on and got into 3rd and gave it a little gas and got this crazy loud turbo noise in the cabin and outside of the car. it was almost like pressure squeezing out (almost like a constant bov as im climbing the rpms). i come to my car about 8 hours later and it hasn’t gone away. it seems to do it after about 2k rpms in gears 3-6 when i give it moderate gas. i just ordered a symposer delete because i’ve heard that has caused boost leaks but i’m amazed that this sound came as soon as i get my turbo replaced. i’ve yet to check for loose hoses or clamps but i wouldn’t know exactly what to look for given no one seems to have had this issue or sound from my research. if anyone would like a video on the sound i could record one tomorrow any thoughts?

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,229 Posts
Split hose. Bypass valve failure. Exhaust leak. Ghosts....?

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,229 Posts

·
1,601 Posts
You've got to give us info to guide you with, we're All far far away from you and your car.

Tell us what codes are in the pcm that you scanned. When you jack the car up and remove the undershield and thoroughly inspect every clamp, hose, and coupler, tell us what you find. Photos and videos help.

If everything checks out there, Search and build a boost leak tester (there are how to's on this forum) and let us know the results from that.

Were here to help, but first you have to Help us help you.

·
Super Moderator
7,591 Posts
Probably blew off a charge hose from a loose clamp. Get under the car and check all connections.

Reactions: junits15

·
1,601 Posts
It does resemble a split boost hose, but let us know what you see this evening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i got under it, and noticed oil coming from the hoses connected to the intercooler and near the turbo which is where the photo is taken. checked the clamps and realized they were all loose. tightened all the clamps and the clamps connected to the throttle body and the sound got quieter. also noticed the sound symposer was hanging out of the fire wall so i plugged that back in. still does the noise but not as loud.

Attachments

·
1,601 Posts
That looks like a coolant leaking down from the turbo. Check those banjo connections at the turbo.

If the noise changed then you were definitely onto something with tightening the clamps. Since the clamps were all loose, did you happen to shove the pipes further into the couplers first before tightening them down?

Also, did you happen to squeeze each coupler to try and find a tear? Sometimes those couplers do blow out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks like a coolant leaking down from the turbo. Check those banjo connections at the turbo.

If the noise changed then you were definitely onto something with tightening the clamps. Since the clamps were all loose, did you happen to shove the pipes further into the couplers first before tightening them down?

Also, did you happen to squeeze each coupler to try and find a tear? Sometimes those couplers do blow out.
i did push the pipes into the couplers but i didn’t feel around for tears because they’re brand new cobb couplers.

·
1,601 Posts
i did push the pipes into the couplers but i didn’t feel around for tears because they’re brand new cobb couplers.
New doesn't mean not broken.

Also i forgot to ask, did You happen to look and see if the intake pipe came loose from the turbo inlet? It didn't sound like induction noise from the video, but i had to ask.

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New doesn't mean not broken.

Also i forgot to ask, did You happen to look and see if the intake pipe came loose from the turbo inlet? It didn't sound like induction noise from the video, but i had to ask.
yeah i checked all connections and the intake pipe was fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts