Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to say, i've been simmering over this one for some time. Ford is taking the great product that FoST/FiST were, and throwing it away. Below are two videos:

Replace analog Tac with a garbage digital one? Check.

Digital Boost guage? Check.

Fake engine noise? Check.

Interior Sound deadening? Check.

No manual? (we all knew this) Check.

On the basis of which car is faster from the official Ford video, I really want to know how bad they hamstrung the FoST/FiST - Sorry, I get the Edge has 335HP/380TQ, but that thing has to be much heavier too. Top speed is only 130MPH, which I assume is digitally limited.

I'm willing to be a tuned ST could take down the Edge ST without an issue.

Other notes - I see they've gone back to the old '14 ST steering wheel design, and didn't keep the newer flat-bottom layout. There are some interior improvements, but give me a break, it's just an Edge Sport with an ST badge - considering the Edge Sport doesn't exist any further.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes I understand a lot of people hate this move by Ford for getting rid of the majority of their cars and in-turn the sport variants. However, its not like Ford had to choose between keeping the Focus ST or making a new Edge ST. Those two decisions from Ford are independent of each other. The edge ST is not a replacement for the Focus/Fiesta ST. The Edge ST existed for many years wearing the Sport badge.

I also can understand how people are chuffed they are continuing the ST badge on a new vehicle but bastardization of vehicle names has existed for many years (ahem Mitsubishi). Its easy to capitalize on recognizable car names/variants. To me, the ST badge is an indicator of performance which this edge is more than fitting to wear.

One last thing, consumers killed the small car, not Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Solid STAYBARS!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand a lot of people hate this move by Ford for getting rid of the majority of their cars and in-turn the sport variants. However, its not like Ford had to choose between keeping the Focus ST or making a new Edge ST. Those two decisions from Ford are independent of each other. The edge ST is not a replacement for the Focus/Fiesta ST. The Edge ST existed for many years wearing the Sport badge.

I also can understand how people are chuffed they are continuing the ST badge on a new vehicle but bastardization of vehicle names has existed for many years (ahem Mitsubishi). Its easy to capitalize on recognizable car names/variants. To me, the ST badge is an indicator of performance which this edge is more than fitting to wear.

One last thing, consumers killed the small car, not Ford.
I can see your points, but I don't necessarily think it was the consumer that killed off the sedans/hatches - I think alot of it was manufacturers forcing consumers into the segment with less choices.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm sure the Edge ST will be a pretty nice sporty SUV. I personally think there are way too many SUV's and trucks on the road already. I always prefer hatchbacks and sedans when looking for new cars.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone find the curb weight? I can't seem to find it for the Edge ST. I really want to have a FoST vs Edge ST legitimate showdown.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've got to say, i've been simmering over this one for some time. Ford is taking the great product that FoST/FiST were, and throwing it away. Below are two videos:

Replace analog Tac with a garbage digital one? Check.

Digital Boost guage? Check.

Fake engine noise? Check.

Interior Sound deadening? Check.

No manual? (we all knew this) Check.

On the basis of which car is faster from the official Ford video, I really want to know how bad they hamstrung the FoST/FiST - Sorry, I get the Edge has 335HP/380TQ, but that thing has to be much heavier too. Top speed is only 130MPH, which I assume is digitally limited.

I'm willing to be a tuned ST could take down the Edge ST without an issue.

Other notes - I see they've gone back to the old '14 ST steering wheel design, and didn't keep the newer flat-bottom layout. There are some interior improvements, but give me a break, it's just an Edge Sport with an ST badge - considering the Edge Sport doesn't exist any further.
I mean...I don't think the tac is a huge deal, the FoST's boost gauge is analog but still electronic, the FoST comes with fake engine noise from the factory, and the FoST also has interior sound deadening.

Yes, the Edge ST does not come in a manual and I know that upsets a lot of people. The way I look at it: the Focus and Fiesta are dead in the US regardless of the Edge ST. I'd personally prefer that the ST lives on in something in the US rather than be forgotten. Besides, the 2.7l TT is a sick engine. I can't wait until Livernois gets their hands on it like they did with the Fusion Sport. 324/374 to the wheels with just a tune (over 257/326 stock for the Fusion Sport).

Hell, depending on the prices of the Fusion Sport in 2019, I may get one. They're nice cars and I honestly wouldn't have minded if they named it the Fusion ST.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean...I don't think the tac is a huge deal, the FoST's boost gauge is analog but still electronic, the FoST comes with fake engine noise from the factory, and the FoST also has interior sound deadening.

Yes, the Edge ST does not come in a manual and I know that upsets a lot of people. The way I look at it: the Focus and Fiesta are dead in the US regardless of the Edge ST. I'd personally prefer that the ST lives on in something in the US rather than be forgotten. Besides, the 2.7l TT is a sick engine. I can't wait until Livernois gets their hands on it like they did with the Fusion Sport. 324/374 to the wheels with just a tune (over 257/326 stock for the Fusion Sport).

Hell, depending on the prices of the Fusion Sport in 2019, I may get one. They're nice cars and I honestly wouldn't have minded if they named it the Fusion ST.
What’s your thought on them slapping ST on everything here on out though? Don’t forget, the Explorer ST is coming too. I understand that ‘ST’ means “Sport Technology” - however, that’s not the equivalent of cars that have the “Sport” monicker slapped into them (e.g. Subaru Impreza Sport is not a WRX, Civic Sport Touring is not an SI).

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
What’s your thought on them slapping ST on everything here on out though? Don’t forget, the Explorer ST is coming too. I understand that ‘ST’ means “Sport Technology” - however, that’s not the equivalent of cars that have the “Sport” monicker slapped into them (e.g. Subaru Impreza Sport is not a WRX, Civic Sport Touring is not an SI).
Don't forget there is a Focus ST-Line model also. Doesn't have the power but does have some of the full ST handling features among other things.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
732 Posts
As long as it has a drivetrain worthy of the name, it's fine in my opinion. Like I said, the 2.7l TT is a beast of an engine. The SHO, Fusion Sport, and even the F-150 are beasts 0-60 and in the quarter mile with just a tune. Yes, they're not as good as the ST in cornering but I know the Fusion Sport can at least keep up. I'm not someone who needs every sport-focused car to have a manual and I can really appreciate a decent-to-great auto transmission. There's a reason why the GTI and Golf R are faster with the DSG.

As for the ST-Line...I'd personally never buy them but I don't really care that they exist. They're basically a Lancer Ralliart equivalent (at least I think that's what the trim with the upgraded suspension was called). I wish they would keep the ST badges off of them or at least make the badges specifically say "ST-Line" but whatever. We won't see them in NA aside from one year of production for the Fiesta ST-Line.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anyone find the curb weight? I can't seem to find it for the Edge ST. I really want to have a FoST vs Edge ST legitimate showdown.
Per Ford website:

2.7L AWD
4477 lbs

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The steering wheel is probably due to it being an SUV. The flat bottom gives you a bit more room to get in a smaller car with sporty seats whereas that shouldnt be an issue in the edge. The reason cars have flat bottom wheels is (afaik) is just to make getting in the cockpit a bit easier.

I'm pretty indifferent to the Edge...I'm not trying to buy an SUV so its not for me but it at least looks half decent and should move fairly quickly (even with its hefty weight.) It's not going to be an autocross darling like the fiesta/focus but thats not the point of it. If these sell, Ford will probably have better margins on them than any previous ST sold here and thats probably the whole idea sadly.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Hey if family guys are going to get forced into SUVs then why not put some fun to drive options out there for them. I’d possibly consider it if they updated the dash. If you’ve ever been in a newer Edge then you know that whole center stack is just a mess of cheap feeling disorganized buttons that look like they came from a 15 year old Infiniti.

Otherwise I’m all for manufacturers experimenting. I bet it is actually fun to drive. Hopefully people buy it and we get a second generation (with an updated interior) and more fun to drive crossovers from Ford and their competition. I’m gonna have kids one day so it would be nice to pick up an SUV for under $50k that doesn’t make me hate myself every time I drive it.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm not really into SUVs but I dig it. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. Interesting that the article posted a few replies up has the curb weight listed as under 4,100 lbs. If that's the case, I don't really think it's that heavy. There are plenty of performance sedans with similar curb weights.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not really into SUVs but I dig it. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. Interesting that the article posted a few replies up has the curb weight listed as under 4,100 lbs. If that's the case, I don't really think it's that heavy. There are plenty of performance sedans with similar curb weights.
It's wrong. It's citing a weight from a smaller engine Edge.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts