Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
There was an awesome Jalopnik article I read about who even makes manuals anymore. It was your standard "Where'd the manuals go?" article bashing Audi, Benz, and BMW, but it concluded with one of the most powerful car related statements I've ever read. "Is it faster? Do you really care?"

My buddy got a 350z a couple months ago and I asked about the transmission and he said it's auto and he specifically chose auto because "It's actually faster shifting". Well no **** Sherlock, but you're not taking it off the road and turning it into a track only car. If that was the case, I'd believe it, but I hate that argument of "It shifts faster" It's just a BS excuse for being lazy and not wanting to have more fun. I should note, if you live in a city with a lot of traffic and you're stop and go always or you're super concerned with MPG's, then auto is fine, but when enthusiasts get an auto because they say it's faster shifting, gtfoutta here.

By the way, I think the correct terminology for "don't be a raging d-bag with it" is don't turn it into a donk

Exhibit A: donk challenger - Bing images
i typically argue that a manual is always a better option for being quicker than an auto.. if you know how to drive you can shift faster than the old auto stuff all day long.....however.... that 8 speed is frigging quick, and the mustangs 10 speed next yer is going to be stupid quick too only having to change like 400 rpm between shifts.. its gonna drive like a powerglide used to. with all that being said, autos are boring as balls and i wont have one unless its in a pickup truck..LOL

Reactions: poletrain

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
By the way, I think the correct terminology for "don't be a raging d-bag with it" is don't turn it into a donk
You mean *Flaming d-bag.

lmfao, but yes that Donk Challenger is pretty on par with the stupid cars I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
i typically argue that a manual is always a better option for being quicker than an auto.. if you know how to drive you can shift faster than the old auto stuff all day long.....however.... that 8 speed is frigging quick, and the mustangs 10 speed next yer is going to be stupid quick too only having to change like 400 rpm between shifts.. its gonna drive like a powerglide used to. with all that being said, autos are boring as balls and i wont have one unless its in a pickup truck..LOL
If we are talking a duel disk clutch, then I will cry as I tell you that isn't true. They are faster at shifting than a manual ever will be. We can get pretty damn close though, and we have the ability to choose when we shift to keep in the power better, so we have advantages. For example we can shift at 5800 to keep in the ST powerband and the auto version might shift at 6 or 6300 or something..so we would have an advantage.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
You mean *Flaming d-bag.

lmfao, but yes that Donk Challenger is pretty on par with the stupid cars I've seen.
everything Donked out is stupid...period

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was on a work trip and I went down with a group and we got upgraded from economy to mid size rental car. We get a brand spankin CTS. Interior was sweet and automatic heated and cooled seats was weird. I wasn't expecting a cool breeze on my balls. ANYWAY, it had an 8 speed auto/paddle transmission. We rarely got it above 2k because it had so many gears and did shift really quick. Paddle shifting 8 gears was really weird, I was definitely out of my comfort zone with 8

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
If we are talking a duel disk clutch, then I will cry as I tell you that isn't true. They are faster at shifting than a manual ever will be. We can get pretty damn close though, and we have the ability to choose when we shift to keep in the power better, so we have advantages. For example we can shift at 5800 to keep in the ST powerband and the auto version might shift at 6 or 6300 or something..so we would have an advantage.
well i did say the older autos.... i used to sling gears way faster than early 2000's camaros and mustangs all day long.

and with transmissions being computer controlled, you can tune the shift points to shift and keep you in the correct power band just as you would be choosing to do with the manual..... i'm just playing devils advocate here, I am a manual transmission guy, have never owned an auto car, never plan to until i have no other option. I'm in no way arguing against manuals, there is no other way for me. Hell I know so little about autos, I didnt even know whether to stall my truck or not when I built the motor for it...LOL Now its a slow turd because the stall flashes too early..hahah

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
well i did say the older autos.... i used to sling gears way faster than early 2000's camaros and mustangs all day long.

and with transmissions being computer controlled, you can tune the shift points to shift and keep you in the correct power band just as you would be choosing to do with the manual..... i'm just playing devils advocate here, I am a manual transmission guy, have never owned an auto car, never plan to until i have no other option. I'm in no way arguing against manuals, there is no other way for me. Hell I know so little about autos, I didnt even know whether to stall my truck or not when I built the motor for it...LOL Now its a slow turd because the stall flashes too early..hahah
I too am a manual guy, and I hope they continue to survive (and remain the "cheaper" "option") so I can continue owning them. I teach my family how to drive stick a lot because everyone needs to know I think, and in an emergency if my car is the only one we have to take, and I'm in the back or passenger seat having a major stroke or something and you have to get me somewhere to safety...and you CAN'T drive stick...I'm dead. So my girlfriend learned and took it for a few mile trip once already and needs to get some more seat time. I even let her "floor it" once in a controlled area and she damn near sh!t herself lol. She didn't even floor it because as soon as the turbo started pulling at like 60-70% throttle she though she was floored and let off. I mainly showed her just so she knows "don't do this" and the rest of the time she was granny shifting and not double clutching like she should. (< Ignore that last part of the sentence unless you get the reference)

It's a skill to know in my eyes and I hope it remains. The one guy on the forum here got to drive a Lykan Hypersport because he was the only damn person who could drive a stick...I mean come on isn't that a good reason to learn how to do it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did the same thing against a challenger from like a 30mph roll it wasnt a 392 but still a hemi and i stayed in front all the way to the following light and looked like he saw a dead person he couldnt believe his eyes cant wait to put this downpipe intercooler and exhaust this week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
So today on my way home from work I had this Charger that kept revving his engine at me and taking off. I assume to show me how fast he was?. I usually brush it off smile and keep about my own business but for some reason I felt like I had something to prove lol. after driving through 35 mph streets we get to an open road and by this point he knows I'm wanting to give it a go but then I see the 392 badge on the side and thought "oh what did I get myself into" but I figure either way I'm committed now. (I'm going to try and paint a picture) so my front bumper is even with his rear bumper I assumed he would jump on it before I was next to him and he did but I was ready. 3rd gear at 55mph the ST was up in the RPM's so the turbo had no lag till redline so I flat foot shift into 4th again almost no lag and well into 4th I'm at his driver door he looks over with amazement and a little shock and to be honest I was pretty shocked myself. Then onto the brakes for me because of other drivers.

Now my question is I did some research and the 392 comes with 485 hp and i assume I have a weight advantage over him, but that is a lot of hp over my little ST mind you I have full bolt ons running E30 revised tune with WMI.

Now I am fully ready for the non believers lol because some local guys who only like V8"s already gave me a ration of **** for saying I beat a charger.
EDIT: maybe not beat but definitely pulled on a 392 charger.
I don't know the difference between the 392 Charger/Challenger.

But I was BT ms3 on e25 making about 360whp pulling a car from 90-160 on a SRT8 Challenger.

K03 ST? I find that hard to believe unless SRT8 Chargers make 100 less horsepower.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I don't know the difference between the 392 Charger/Challenger.

But I was BT ms3 on e25 making about 360whp pulling a car from 90-160 on a SRT8 Challenger.

K03 ST? I find that hard to believe unless SRT8 Chargers make 100 less horsepower.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk
Comparing 55mph to roughly 100-110 is a lot different than 90-160. At the last 1k of 4th gear I'm sure he wasn't still "pulling" but more so just holding him. Especially since at that point our car loses breath beyond 5.5k. Putting down the 350-ish torque is the only reason we can hang from 3rd to 4th, if we didn't have that then it would be a typical walk off from the Charger. And comparing your BT car in a race started at 90mph doesn't relate much since you started at the speed where the ST begins losing power lol. If he kept going from 90-155 he would have been probably a bus behind or more.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts