Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today on my way home from work I had this Charger that kept revving his engine at me and taking off. I assume to show me how fast he was?. I usually brush it off smile and keep about my own business but for some reason I felt like I had something to prove lol. after driving through 35 mph streets we get to an open road and by this point he knows I'm wanting to give it a go but then I see the 392 badge on the side and thought "oh what did I get myself into" but I figure either way I'm committed now. (I'm going to try and paint a picture) so my front bumper is even with his rear bumper I assumed he would jump on it before I was next to him and he did but I was ready. 3rd gear at 55mph the ST was up in the RPM's so the turbo had no lag till redline so I flat foot shift into 4th again almost no lag and well into 4th I'm at his driver door he looks over with amazement and a little shock and to be honest I was pretty shocked myself. Then onto the brakes for me because of other drivers.

Now my question is I did some research and the 392 comes with 485 hp and i assume I have a weight advantage over him, but that is a lot of hp over my little ST mind you I have full bolt ons running E30 revised tune with WMI.

Now I am fully ready for the non believers lol because some local guys who only like V8"s already gave me a ration of **** for saying I beat a charger.
EDIT: maybe not beat but definitely pulled on a 392 charger.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Eh, I believe it. You're right, 485 HP from the factory and RWD, those are some big shoes but they literally weigh over a thousand more pounds than our cars and that's a huge difference. Not to mention that you're going from a roll which takes away that FoST's biggest disadvantage (FWD). If you're FBO and running E30, that should be about 290/360 at the wheels, right? I think at those numbers, it could make it a driver's race.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that sounds about right for the HP/T not sure I have never had it dynode and yea I guess the 1000 pound helps out a lot!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Another possibility is if that car was an auto. along with the weight disadvantage and also lets not forget, he could have been a crappy driver.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Some people around my area amaze me in saying "a charger would wreck everything around here and no Camaro/mustang/etc would have a chance" and Chargers/Challengers are literally like the slowest "muscle cars" I've been in and seen. Fat pigs is right. Plus, you have almost 400ft/lb of torque..which is why you pulled on him. Nice kill! Unless it's a Skat Pak, I have 0 fear of Chargers because 9/10 times they are a joke even for our 2.0L Foci

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was reading this and in my head, "No way! You're gonna get demolished on a stock tune." I continued reading and saw your tune and e30. That is the reason you were on your way to winning the race.

As others have stated, power to weight ratio is key. These cars are no slouches. It can be seen by their mpg. Any other 4-banger turbo hot hatch gets waaay better mpg than ours. Where we lack fuel efficiency, we have a more powerful tune.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some people around my area amaze me in saying "a charger would wreck everything around here and no Camaro/mustang/etc would have a chance" and Chargers/Challengers are literally like the slowest "muscle cars" I've been in and seen. Fat pigs is right. Plus, you have almost 400ft/lb of torque..which is why you pulled on him. Nice kill! Unless it's a Skat Pak, I have 0 fear of Chargers because 9/10 times they are a joke even for our 2.0L Foci
Those 392's and Scat Packs run 12.2 on stock tires in the 1/4 mile. They trap a lot higher than most of the stock turbo ST's I've seen as well. They definitely are not something a stock turbo ST can consistently pull on.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Those 392's and Scat Packs run 12.2 on stock tires in the 1/4 mile. They trap a lot higher than most of the stock turbo ST's I've seen as well. They definitely are not something a stock turbo ST can consistently pull on.
I was mistaken in thinking the 392 was a different model, they are about equivalent to the Scats, so my bad. They have so many god damn models anymore lol. And just about any RWD muscle car we can't consistently pull on, but in this case it was ST over the Charger. That's a certainty and can't be argued unless they went from a dig. Highway warrior got showed up by little focus

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've seen some posts of these cars with the 8 speed auto getting down into the 11s with sticker tires. They are fat pigs, but they are fast fat pigs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I've seen some posts of these cars with the 8 speed auto getting down into the 11s with sticker tires. They are fat pigs, but they are fast fat pigs.
I'd love to see what Dodge could do if they actually stopped being lazy about weight (rumor has it they are FINALLY doing this with the 2018 Chargers) and make a seriously badass car with faster times with the exact same engine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd love to see what Dodge could do if they actually stopped being lazy about weight (rumor has it they are FINALLY doing this with the 2018 Chargers) and make a seriously badass car with faster times with the exact same engine.
Just started a new job at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership and while they are fast, holy moly they lumber around like a fat american stereotype.
i get they are muscle cars and blah blah blah but those things do not corner.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Just started a new job at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership and while they are fast, holy moly they lumber around like a fat american stereotype.
i get they are muscle cars and blah blah blah but those things do not corner.
Yeah it's pretty aggravating to be doing 110mph with ease in a straight and have to stomp the brake pedal into the metal and slow to 38.5 to enter the turn huh? Mustangs are pretty bad too, but the handling in a turn feels much more comfortable in a Mustang compared to a Charger/Challenger. God forbid you ever had to take evasive action to avoid hitting something/someone in the middle of a turn in a Dodge muscle car. I've never driven one of the newer Camaros so I can't judge those, but from the look of track times they are good to go on a track with little worries.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I see this happening if its an RT...with a good driver vs mediocre driver. But ive driven a 392 car and it is much faster than a focus stock snail ST. The 390hp pig has a very close power to weight although still better than the focus is. But the 392 cars have a lot more power per lb.

Reactions: 2.3T

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
next charger and challenger are supposed to be getting nearly a 500lb weight reduction.. we'll see

thats why i havent made any decisions on my car yet. I still want a challenger TA 392

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
next charger and challenger are supposed to be getting nearly a 500lb weight reduction.. we'll see

thats why i havent made any decisions on my car yet. I still want a challenger TA 392
I know, it's exciting. That'll finally put them into the 3xxx range again. If they EVER wish to compete on a track (which is becoming more and more important) with the Mustang gt350 or many of the Camaros then they need to cut weight. Straight line is cool and impressive, but if the car handles like a joke around bends then it's a joke to me.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
I know, it's exciting. That'll finally put them into the 3xxx range again. If they EVER wish to compete on a track (which is becoming more and more important) with the Mustang gt350 or many of the Camaros then they need to cut weight. Straight line is cool and impressive, but if the car handles like a joke around bends then it's a joke to me.
its funny, you know me well enough to know we are very similar on many levels... however when it comes to the challenger I could literally care less..LOL I just cruise around in my car and sit in traffic...LOL I rarely get to hit a nice clover on ramp and have fun and i NEVER drive outside charlotte far enough to enjoy country roads... on top of that, hell, i dont even speed. So taking a 35mph curve at 45 is far from exhilarating..I spent a lot of my life living on the edge and replying on skill AND luck equally. Maybe im an old dude, maybe my priorities are different, maybe I got it out of my system. Personally I think riding R1's made me numb. I've owned a motorcycle since I was 19, rode an couple different R1 from 20-32 years old and had my vrod from 32 and still have it. Having sportbikes and being a seasoned rider makes cars feel less than exciting to me. I daily drove my 800hp cobra. Drove it in the sleet when the weather got back and somehow got it home.

with all that being said..... I just dont get alot of adrenaline like I did when I was younger unless im doing something stupid in a car, and stupid car things just arent my cup of tea. So something I can roll around in that looks great and sounds great, something v8 RWD again, nice and throaty, and able to jump out like an asshole when someone tries to cut in front of me at a stoplight are what makes me enjoy my drive. All of those can be very easily accomplished with a 485hp challenger TA. I just have to figure out when the 19 gt drops if the price difference is worth being in love with a fat slower car. Cause the 255hp gt is going to be faster than the challenger. Ive just had so many mustangs that I'd like to do something different for a change.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
its funny, you know me well enough to know we are very similar on many levels... however when it comes to the challenger I could literally care less..LOL I just cruise around in my car and sit in traffic...LOL I rarely get to hit a nice clover on ramp and have fun and i NEVER drive outside charlotte far enough to enjoy country roads... on top of that, hell, i dont even speed. So taking a 35mph curve at 45 is far from exhilarating..I spent a lot of my life living on the edge and replying on skill AND luck equally. Maybe im an old dude, maybe my priorities are different, maybe I got it out of my system. Personally I think riding R1's made me numb. I've owned a motorcycle since I was 19, rode an couple different R1 from 20-32 years old and had my vrod from 32 and still have it. Having sportbikes and being a seasoned rider makes cars feel less than exciting to me. I daily drove my 800hp cobra. Drove it in the sleet when the weather got back and somehow got it home.

with all that being said..... I just dont get alot of adrenaline like I did when I was younger unless im doing something stupid in a car, and stupid car things just arent my cup of tea. So something I can roll around in that looks great and sounds great, something v8 RWD again, nice and throaty, and able to jump out like an asshole when someone tries to cut in front of me at a stoplight are what makes me enjoy my drive. All of those can be very easily accomplished with a 485hp challenger TA. I just have to figure out when the 19 gt drops if the price difference is worth being in love with a fat slower car. Cause the 255hp gt is going to be faster than the challenger. Ive just had so many mustangs that I'd like to do something different for a change.
After all that, you basically sold the car to yourself. It's perfect for just that. And I know 100% what you mean about sportbikes changing cars and how you feel about them. Owning my GSX-R has me to the point where going fast in my car and glancing down to see anything above 130 doesn't make me feel any different. Hell the one time (mexico) I was cruising at 140 with my buddy who was telling me a story and was REALLY into the story and he never even noticed how fast we were going because I didn't make a scene about it lol. Doesn't even get my palms sweaty. Now, I will say I do find a lot of excitement in hitting turns on the edge of the capability of the car...and the lift off oversteer definitely gets me a little sweaty in the palms. I'm sure that'll go away in time, but other than that I don't get the adrenalin rush from anything other than when someone goes at me on the interstate and I know it'll be a close one. I'm content for the time being, and my big turbo money will most likely go to the stock market or student loans next year or the year after. Or a house. For you though, definitely the challenger will do for what you need. And I know you won't be a flaming dbag and throw it up on 25" wheels like I see commonly in the nearby more populated areas around me.

·
Banned
7,049 Posts
After all that, you basically sold the car to yourself. It's perfect for just that. And I know 100% what you mean about sportbikes changing cars and how you feel about them. Owning my GSX-R has me to the point where going fast in my car and glancing down to see anything above 130 doesn't make me feel any different. Hell the one time (mexico) I was cruising at 140 with my buddy who was telling me a story and was REALLY into the story and he never even noticed how fast we were going because I didn't make a scene about it lol. Doesn't even get my palms sweaty. Now, I will say I do find a lot of excitement in hitting turns on the edge of the capability of the car...and the lift off oversteer definitely gets me a little sweaty in the palms. I'm sure that'll go away in time, but other than that I don't get the adrenalin rush from anything other than when someone goes at me on the interstate and I know it'll be a close one. I'm content for the time being, and my big turbo money will most likely go to the stock market or student loans next year or the year after. Or a house. For you though, definitely the challenger will do for what you need. And I know you won't be a flaming dbag and throw it up on 25" wheels like I see commonly in the nearby more populated areas around me.
havent you read my posts? all 7000 of them have been raging dbag posts..LOL

It'll get a shifter (gotta have my short throw shifter), wheels, coilovers (or just low springs), a catback. DONE. I just wanna ride and enjoy it, and for some odd reason I fell in love with the challenger when its prototype came out and havent gotten it out of my head since. I may hate the car, only time will tell. But I havent been as passionate about a car since the foxbody mustang was a current model. (obviously excluding c1500 pickups, ive always had a thing for early 90's silverados, which is why i have one with a swapped motor and a 5")

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
havent you read my posts? all 7000 of them have been raging dbag posts..LOL

It'll get a shifter (gotta have my short throw shifter), wheels, coilovers (or just low springs), a catback. DONE. I just wanna ride and enjoy it, and for some odd reason I fell in love with the challenger when its prototype came out and havent gotten it out of my head since. I may hate the car, only time will tell. But I havent been as passionate about a car since the foxbody mustang was a current model. (obviously excluding c1500 pickups, ive always had a thing for early 90's silverados, which is why i have one with a swapped motor and a 5")
Yeah, but you aren't the ricer kind of flaming dbag who would put big stupid jacked up car kind of wheels LOL. I also love the Challenger body style and I have always liked the current body style since day 1 and it remains the only Dodge vehicle in production I like. Just wouldn't own it because of the weight lol. They sound mean as sh!t modded too. And with cams? Omg.

All those things you mentioned doing are tasteful and will be great looking. And sounding.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts