Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Also remember there is a different between radio and CD quality, for example.

·
Registered
675 Posts
^^one reason i stopped using my ipod in my mustang...CDs sound so much better, but my ipod was connecting to an older head unit, had to get a special cord just to hook ipod to it. But my ipod got wet and stopped keeping a charge so its gathering dust somewhere

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My ipod connected usb is much quieter than sirius or fm...... At same volume
Have you tried turning up the volume on the iPod itself? Does that do anything?

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah..... not sure, its the same way in other car stereos and with other iPods. The volume is all the way up, when it is hooked up USB, you cant even control that stuff, everything is direct audio input. Not that big of a deal, at max its loud enough, I don't care about waking up the neighborhood..... I do wish the setup had a separate sub control.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
The stereo is not as loud as the one i had in my Old Focus but it is a clean sound with good range which is a good sacrifice. I wonder though were all the speakers are? I see 8 total in the doors and the sub is there a center channel somewhere in the dash?
If you rub your hand across the back of the gauges on top of the dash you can feel the speaker grate, or you can look through the windshield...I'm guessing that is a center channel, or the 10th speaker.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you rub your hand across the back of the gauges on top of the dash you can feel the speaker grate, or you can look through the windshield...I'm guessing that is a center channel, or the 10th speaker.
Found it I could had sworn I heard something from that area besides the tweeters in the door

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
915 Posts
theres also usually a gain on the amp itself turning this clockwise adds volume to the system, but can also be harmful to factory speakers!!!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't think there is a gain on the factory amps. Plus it wouldn't do much since gain is just matched to radios pre outputs on aftermarket decks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
148 Posts
^^one reason i stopped using my ipod in my mustang...CDs sound so much better, but my ipod was connecting to an older head unit, had to get a special cord just to hook ipod to it. But my ipod got wet and stopped keeping a charge so its gathering dust somewhere
Have you guys tried turning up the quality in itunes when you rip CDs? You need to turn your bitrate up and you can actually get better-than-cd quality from an ipod, just takes up more memory. Also, you can't use MP3, you want to switch to AAC or WMA to get those better bitrates.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you guys tried turning up the quality in itunes when you rip CDs? You need to turn your bitrate up and you can actually get better-than-cd quality from an ipod, just takes up more memory. Also, you can't use MP3, you want to switch to AAC or WMA to get those better bitrates.
This. I ripped my entire CD collection and encoded it into WMA lossless. From there I copied and transcoded them into Apple's lossless format for use on my iPhone. I use a USB HD (small enough to fit in a shirt pocket) loaded with the WMA lossless music in my car. I keep the original wav files backed up on another USB HD just in case.

In my GT500 it didn't matter much as the stock Mustang audio system pretty much sucks. It did make a difference in my wife's old '10 Fusion Sport and it does make a difference in her new ST as those cars have much better audio systems (IMHO).

Exact Audio Copy to rip CDs.
Windows Media Encoder to encode music files.
Tag & Rename to set the metadata (id3 tags) on the encoded music files.

Reactions: RPhilMan1

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dan, your last car was an IS-F right? How does the sound in the ST compare to that? And did you have the standard or ML audio in there? I'm fairly familiar with the sound of my sister's IS; it would be nice to have something to compare to

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone having any issues with the touchscreen/sync completely freezing and the radio not working? it happened to me today in the morning and fixed itself later on during the day.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Anyone else have issues with making phone calls with the voice command? Every time I go to make a call using voice, it never completes the call on the first try. Always the second. I think it's my phone. I have a Droid X.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone else have issues with making phone calls with the voice command? Every time I go to make a call using voice, it never completes the call on the first try. Always the second. I think it's my phone. I have a Droid X.
yeah i think its your phone, i literally had 5 droid x's and then 3 more droid x2's, not even exagerating. verizon actually got sick of me sending in my phones so they up graded me to the x2 and after those problems i got a gs3, not a problem since release.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Sony Stereo in the ST is able to play FLACs (free-lossless-audio codec)? I have a huge CD collection archived into FLACs for future use. If I have to convert these into high bitrate MP3s, I'd rather know sooner than when I get my car.

Thanks kindly,
Andrew

·
Registered
45 Posts
After having a kick ass system in my old Ranger, I think this one sucks. The bass is so light! I saved the amp and sub from my truck, but I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of installing audio components into cars. Has anyone played around with it yet?

21 - 40 of 106 Posts