Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_1310.JPG

Last month I had a head on collision in my 2014 ST with a combined speed of 70+MPH. My son and I were blessed to be able to walk away from the crash pretty much with no injuries and so was the other driver who hit me (his fault 16 yr old new driver). I was so impressed with how our cars are able to take a hit like this and no one get hurt that I rushed out and bought another one. If anyone knows who, or how, I can get in contact with the Ford Safety Engineers who do/did the design work on these cars please let me know. I would like to send them a personal thank you letter for saving our lives that night!!

Now comes more fun of having to go customize a new ST!!

Thank you Ford!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glad you're OK! I'm surprised at how tough these little cars are.

Here's my SE after its second heavy rear-ending in two days and the Camry that died in the second crash on the highway. I had a 2006 Mazda 3 before the SE and, even though they're closely related, the Ford felt like an old Mercedes in comparison to the flimsy Mazda with its papier mache bumpers and used condoms for bushings that made it feel like the whole front subframe would wobble with every bump:

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Great story! Glad you guys and the other driver are ok.

People think I'm crazy to give my ST to my daughter when she gets her license. Stories like this help me make this decision more easily.
I'll be setting up the MyKey though to keep temptation at bay.
Good luck with the new ST!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 16 yr old daughter and would not hesitate to get her a Focus (non ST due to clutch for a new driver) after this accident. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great story! Glad you guys and the other driver are ok.

People think I'm crazy to give my ST to my daughter when she gets her license. Stories like this help me make this decision more easily.
I'll be setting up the MyKey though to keep temptation at bay.
Good luck with the new ST!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Hey! It is me, your daughter.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
660 Posts
View attachment 219769

Last month I had a head on collision in my 2014 ST with a combined speed of 70+MPH. My son and I were blessed to be able to walk away from the crash pretty much with no injuries and so was the other driver who hit me (his fault 16 yr old new driver). I was so impressed with how our cars are able to take a hit like this and no one get hurt that I rushed out and bought another one. If anyone knows who, or how, I can get in contact with the Ford Safety Engineers who do/did the design work on these cars please let me know. I would like to send them a personal thank you letter for saving our lives that night!!

Thank you Ford!!
I have seen a lot of pictures of some pretty messed up ST's and everyone seems to walk away with this same experience. Hope it never happens but good to know the car has me covered should it happen.

I am sure @FordService could hook you up with a contact!

·
Premium Member
13,885 Posts
I have a 16 yr old daughter and would not hesitate to get her a Focus (non ST due to clutch for a new driver) after this accident. Thanks for the comments!
The manual has a nice assist feature great foe new drivers. Hill assist.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
View attachment 219769

Thank you Ford!!
I'm glad you're ok and the focus is definitely built well in that the chassis is pretty stiff for its weight.

One misconception you made that many others make is that 2 cars driving 35 mph each and hit head on is equivalent to a 70 mph impact. This actually isn't the case, as the kinetic energy involved is distributed among 2 cars and not one during an impact. Now if you are actually saying that you were driving 70 mph and another car was coming at you at 70 mph and you hit them, well then that would be legit. Based on the photo, that doesn't look like a 70 mph impact.

If you're curious about the physics here, this quick video will help

Mythbusters | Crash Force - Video Dailymotion

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Another unfortunate post that adds to the reinforcement in my mind that I'm safe under normal conditions in my car. Which, helps me feel safe putting members of my family or my girlfriend in it. Glad everyone is okay! I'd honestly call my dealer if I were you and try to get info that way or even call a Ford number online and reach out to corporate.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not a feature. Nature of the transmission.

Sent from another garage.
Yep. I want to say it was the thread about hidden features that this was discussed in length. I still like to refer to it as a "feature" because I know someone will come correct me. It's a troll move, only I am not doing it to tick someone off. Just waiting for someone to catch me on it and comment. So @UnfocusedST wins today's prize! :)

Reactions: UnfocusedST

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yep. I want to say it was the thread about hidden features that this was discussed in length. I still like to refer to it as a "feature" because I know someone will come correct me. It's a troll move, only I am not doing it to tick someone off. Just waiting for someone to catch me on it and comment. So @UnfocusedST wins today's prize! :)
Also want to comment on it because I lol'd at that comment.

Definitely seems like a crawl mode, and I've used it a lot. Parking lots / slow traffic so long as a cushion of space can be maintained.

·
Registered
45 Posts
[iurl="http://www.focusst.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=219769&d=1490056902"]
[/iurl]

Thank you Ford!!
I am not a safety engineer but I am a tech who works with the safety engineers and do all the safety testing at Ford and am glad you were able to walk away. We take our job very serious and strive to go above and beyond to make vehicles as safe as possible.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I am not a safety engineer but I am a tech who works with the safety engineers and do all the safety testing at Ford and am glad you were able to walk away. We take our job very serious and strive to go above and beyond to make vehicles as safe as possible.
Please let them know we appreciate all their and your good work!

It's posts like these that convinced me to buy a Focus SE for my daughter who got her license this year.

Best regards to all,
Mark

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm glad you're ok and the focus is definitely built well in that the chassis is pretty stiff for its weight.

One misconception you made that many others make is that 2 cars driving 35 mph each and hit head on is equivalent to a 70 mph impact. This actually isn't the case, as the kinetic energy involved is distributed among 2 cars and not one during an impact. Now if you are actually saying that you were driving 70 mph and another car was coming at you at 70 mph and you hit them, well then that would be legit. Based on the photo, that doesn't look like a 70 mph impact.

If you're curious about the physics here, this quick video will help

Mythbusters | Crash Force - Video Dailymotion
Ahh yes, the concepts of momentum and conservation of energy. I commend you on your knowledge (not trolling).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have worked with safety engineers and they would definitely love to hear from you. you will have to contact ford via their corporate arm. i would recommend just searching for them on linkedin and sending them a private message. they would love to know they saved you from harm.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The Ford Focus is an IIHS Top Safety pick.

That alone was a reason for me to want to get a Focus in any sense after reading the crash reviews on it. The only one that it didn't do well on (pretty much nobody does well on) was the offset impact but that one reviewed better than pretty much everything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts