Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just a pic for proof, an escape towed a racetrailer to limerock this weekend, so I think a small trailer on these must be fine. I'll be ordering mine soon considering the terrible last minute Thule hatch rack I had bought sucks so bad.

image-2024837318.jpg

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That looks like a lifted Focus haha.. Maybe I just need to go to bed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some of you guys are funny. I towed my jetski and quad (separately) in a car with 50less hp and over 100less tq. No reason the focus can't easily tow stuff with all that low end torque. What a joke-smh

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here are a couple renderings of what to cut off the Curt Hitch, and what to weld back on.
I cut off the items highlighted in yellow, put the crossbar portion of the hitch onto the car, and held the receiver tube in place to determine how short to cut it. Beware when you cut down the receiver tube and weld back onto the cross bar, it needs to be deep enough to accept your hitch ball adaptor or bike rack. Mine is a blind hole, an improvement would be to cut the cross bar portion of the hitch to allow the receiver tube to be be open all the way thru. You'll need to also weld on a triangle brace on the upper and/or lower relocated receiver tube-cross bar joint for added strength. Finally, you'll need to weld on the safety chain loops that you cut off in a suitable location to avoid damaging the center exhaust. A good fabricator/welder could do this work for you pretty cheap, it only cost me two cases of beer!
I have some connections, so I got it powder coated in gloss black.

Hey Mark I am going to copy your setup, great idea btw. I intend to haul my motorcycle on a lightweight trailer. Just to be clear, was it the standard hatch hitch that you ordered? Im assuming that would be the Curt #11158 CURT Manufacturing - CURT Trailer Hitch #11158 | CURT Manufacturing

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm sorry, but it has to be said. Your going to use a Ford Focus ST as a tow vehicle????? Only one thought comes to mind; ....Why????

The second thought; "that is just a bad idea." I would never consider such a thing, but I can think of all kinds of bad things, and I am saying this as someone who has years of towing experience. I would never consider using this car as a tow vehicle, it is just not built for it. I don't care how light the tow duty is that you are planning, this is just a bad idea, regardless of how cute you think your little hitch is.

The only mention of towing in the Owners Manual is how you tow the Focus, there in nothing in the manual about how to use the machine for towing something else. That's because FORD knows that the machine is not suited for such a purpose.

If you can afford the toys that need to be towed, you can afford a proper tow vehicle.
I COMPLETELY disagree with you on that, 100%. Towing a couple of dirtbikes or a small utility trailer does NOT require a big tow vehicle. I've got an '01 focus zx3 that I've pulled boats, pop-up campers, and utility trailers with, all safely. You just have to know how to drive, increase following distance, and give yourself more of a safety cushion. They don't have big trucks in Europe, and the pull things around all the time. Correct, if you don't know how to handle it or overload it, it can be dangerous. But it can be done completely safely. And if it wears parts out quicker, well, it's their car, they paid the money for it, so you don't need to worry about that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like they have a few models that are specific to the ST. Are those the "under exhaust" versions?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks like they have a few models that are specific to the ST. Are those the "under exhaust" versions?
There is one ST version that goes under the exhaust, just different hitches you ca n get with them. I'm planning on modding a standard one like I believe the OP did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Inspired by ST Mark I installed my "modded" Curt non-ST Focus trailer hitch.
Instead of bringing the part of the hitch where the ball hitch mount slots in, straight out the back, mine faces directly down.
I welded 2 thick wire loops on the hitch for the chains, ran the wiring down and bolted the plug to the plastic rear bumper bracket underneath.
A right angled ball hitch mount adapter then bolts in, which comes out below the exhaust, roughly level with the rear of the bumper, when you want to use the hitch.

It all looks very clean and is safe for the weight I am intending to use.
The one downside is I had to cut a small piece of the stainless exhaust.
It is the piece underneath which bridges between the twin pipes. You cannot see it unless you are under the car.
Overall the hitch is barely visible from behind when the adapter is not bolted in place.
I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
^Cool. My Non St setup should be coming in today. I prefer the "over the exhaust" setup like Mark did but ill look at my options once I have the receiver cut up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
^Cool. My Non St setup should be coming in today. I prefer the "over the exhaust" setup like Mark did but ill look at my options once I have the receiver cut up.
There is not much of a gap between the the top of the exhaust and the bottom of the bumper. Mine is now about 1 3/4". Add in some clearance so they do not rattle against each other and then room to slide the receiver in etc, it does not leave much space. You could use washers under the exhaust brackets and space the exhaust lower.

·
Registered
303 Posts
bd8134 Nice job. It is pretty cool to see three different approaches to hitch installs on our ST. We have had one member take the ST hitch and make it quickly detachable which I like that idea. Then one member take a regular focus hitch and modify it to be hidden under the bumper which I really like the looks of that. Then another member take that same regular focus hitch idea and put a whole new spin on it. Damn now that is some nice American ingenuity. Great job guys!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I got mine in from Amazon, I was pretty disappointed to find that they had just thrown the ball mount in the box with zero packaging and the receiver got banged to hell *facepalm*

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Well I got mine in from Amazon, I was pretty disappointed to find that they had just thrown the ball mount in the box with zero packaging and the receiver got banged to hell *facepalm*
Ship that **** right back!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats not good. I got mine from etrailer and they stapled the ball mount to side of the box to stop it moving around.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
heck,even my dog can pull a trailer! lmao

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice! I'm going to so do this for the purpose of a bike rack. And i was about to buy a roof rack.

41 - 60 of 405 Posts