Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO im just starting to look into what would be good replacements for the focus st touch radio as i feel that the stock option while it is still fantastic compared to some other stock setups.

so far ive looked into rebel devil customs but it seems unless im wrong that the functions only work when upgrading from the base radio.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/10-4-Android...?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&_mwBanner=1

i also saw this which looks interesting but im not sure how legit these ebay radios are.

checked crutchfield and theyre saying not to upgrade the radio and they have no options for upgrades essentially my base question here is what is the best option will the ebay stereo work well is there a rebel devil option that will work well for me or should i just keep the stock radio and upgrade my speakers.

thanks so much in advance !

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the Sync system, it's better than the Android systems meant to replace the head unit in the ST1. If you have the Sync 2 system, I would recommend getting the parts needed to convert it to Sync 3. It's much better and Android Auto is awesome imo. Getting better speakers with the stock system will help if your goal is a better audio experience.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you're looking for an upgrade for SYNC 2, your best bet is to upgrade to SYNC 3 so you can have the newer/faster headunit and all of the newer goodies like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. It's what I plan on doing in the future. Here is a decent guide to doing the upgrade.

That being said, it's expensive and can be difficult to find a SYNC 3 headunit if you go used. For a brand new system, you're looking at $2000+ and for a used one, probably about $1000.

Otherwise, you'll have to resort to using a third-party headunit like the Rebel Devil setup or any other run-of-the-mill headunit. And yes, you will loose bluetooth, door chimes, steering wheel controls, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're looking for an upgrade for SYNC 2, your best bet is to upgrade to SYNC 3 so you can have the newer/faster headunit and all of the newer goodies like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. It's what I plan on doing in the future. Here is a decent guide to doing the upgrade.

That being said, it's expensive and can be difficult to find a SYNC 3 headunit if you go used. For a brand new system, you're looking at $2000+ and for a used one, probably about $1000.

Otherwise, you'll have to resort to using a third-party headunit like the Rebel Devil setup or any other run-of-the-mill headunit. And yes, you will loose bluetooth, door chimes, steering wheel controls, etc.
Well that's the info I was looking for I didn't know going to st3 was that ridiculously expensive. I suppose I'm going to leave that be and go with speaker upgrades. I'm looking at the Memphis audio prx60 6 1/2 woofers for the doors.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well that's the info I was looking for I didn't know going to st3 was that ridiculously expensive. I suppose I'm going to leave that be and go with speaker upgrades. I'm looking at the Memphis audio prx60 6 1/2 woofers for the doors.
It's expensive because it requires a lot of hardware changes instead of just upgrading software. It's not for everyone especially because there's a lot of physical work involved like taking the dash apart.

While I am still SYNC 2 for now, I did fully upgrade my audio system--Infiniti Kappa tweeters/woofers in all four doors, Kicker CompRT 8" sub in the stock sub box, and a Rockford Fosgate amp. It sounds much crisper than stock and if I want, I can turn the sub up and shake everything around the car. It doesn't add the goodies like Android Auto that SYNC 3 does but it's still a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's expensive because it requires a lot of hardware changes instead of just upgrading software. It's not for everyone especially because there's a lot of physical work involved like taking the dash apart.

While I am still SYNC 2 for now, I did fully upgrade my audio system--Infiniti Kappa tweeters/woofers in all four doors, Kicker CompRT 8" sub in the stock sub box, and a Rockford Fosgate amp. It sounds much crisper than stock and if I want, I can turn the sub up and shake everything around the car. It doesn't add the goodies like Android Auto that SYNC 3 does but it's still a worthwhile upgrade.
It's actually not that expensive to go from Sync 2 to Sync 3. A lot of people have done it sourcing parts from Escapes for as low as $200 for the parts. Taking the dash apart is tricky, but nothing you shouldn't be able to do. Look up Focused Garage on YouTube, he has a three part video that will walk you through the whole process if you're interested.

Changing the woofers will make a difference in sound quality, it did even in my ST1.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's actually not that expensive to go from Sync 2 to Sync 3. A lot of people have done it sourcing parts from Escapes for as low as $200 for the parts. Taking the dash apart is tricky, but nothing you shouldn't be able to do. Look up Focused Garage on YouTube, he has a three part video that will walk you through the whole process if you're interested.

Changing the woofers will make a difference in sound quality, it did even in my ST1.
That's what I had thought I assumed the Sony system just included the subs and that the speakers weren't anything special I'm going with Memphis audio prx60 and I'm not sure on the tweeters yet. I'm a mechanic I shouldn't have any problem with getting the old radio setup out if I decide to go that way. Thank you so much for the insight though

·
Registered
629 Posts
if you want to upgrade the touch system, upgrade to sync 3. if you're trying to add aftermarket amplifiers and keep the stock touch, look into the Rockford Fosgate DSR1. china android stuff sucks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you want to upgrade the touch system, upgrade to sync 3. if you're trying to add aftermarket amplifiers and keep the stock touch, look into the Rockford Fosgate DSR1. china android stuff sucks.
From what I'm seeing the dsr1 is just a converter to send a clean signal to an aftermarket amp or am I wrong ? Would I have to buy the dsr1 and an amp ?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yes, you would have to buy the DSR1 and an amp. The DSR1 basically allows you to remove the OEM amp, it gives you a standard signal that you can send to an amp and then decodes all the digital signals such as volume levels so that you can retain the OEM screen and all the thing it controls.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
From what I'm seeing the dsr1 is just a converter to send a clean signal to an aftermarket amp or am I wrong ? Would I have to buy the dsr1 and an amp ?
the DSR1 completely replaces the OEM Sony amplifier. it converts ALL the trunk factory wiring into RCA inputs for use with any aftermarket amp and allows you to set custom crossovers, EQ tuning, etc. getting rid of the sony amp also means you dont have to deal with re-tuning or using the EQ curve that it implements.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the Sync system, it's better than the Android systems meant to replace the head unit in the ST1. If you have the Sync 2 system, I would recommend getting the parts needed to convert it to Sync 3. It's much better and Android Auto is awesome imo. Getting better speakers with the stock system will help if your goal is a better audio experience.
This is false. SYNC 2 is absolute trash, and every Ford owner who's had to deal with SYNC 2 knows it. SYNC 3 is available for what, $2000? Not worth it to me IMO.

This is also false, you will not lose bluetooth, door chimes, steering wheel controls, etc. Most of the newer Android headunits have their own bluetooth and connect with the car to not only sync with the steering wheel controls but also tell you if the doors are open.

I've been doing lots of research the past few days, I'm ready to dump my '14 ST2 MFT system. It's actually really hard to find the right information and these people I quoted don't help much.

·
Premium Member
13,975 Posts
This is false. SYNC 2 is absolute trash, and every Ford owner who's had to deal with SYNC 2 knows it. SYNC 3 is available for what, $2000? Not worth it to me IMO.

This is also false, you will not lose bluetooth, door chimes, steering wheel controls, etc. Most of the newer Android headunits have their own bluetooth and connect with the car to not only sync with the steering wheel controls but also tell you if the doors are open.

I've been doing lots of research the past few days, I'm ready to dump my '14 ST2 MFT system. It's actually really hard to find the right information and these people I quoted don't help much.
I have sync 2 and don't think it's trash. So your statement is false. It does exactly what I want and need it to do. If I could upgrade to sync 3 for cheap and easy I might. However it is not a mod I have planned.

Sent from another garage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have sync 2 and don't think it's trash. So your statement is false. It does exactly what I want and need it to do. If I could upgrade to sync 3 for cheap and easy I might. However it is not a mod I have planned.

Please explain how an opinion is false? It's a fact that Android systems are better performing (higher quality CPU and RAM) than the SYNC2 system.

You like yours? Good for you, but there's thousands upon thousands of Ford owners who hate the SYNC2 system, which is why Ford upgraded to SYNC3.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i swapped to sync 3 for $250-ish. its a non-nav unit but android auto maps work flawlessly.
Did you find one locally (junkyard) or online? I've started a little digging myself and found a few units around the $300 range. Unsure if they included the APIM

·
Premium Member
13,975 Posts
Please explain how an opinion is false? It's a fact that Android systems are better performing (higher quality CPU and RAM) than the SYNC2 system.

You like yours? Good for you, but there's thousands upon thousands of Ford owners who hate the SYNC2 system, which is why Ford upgraded to SYNC3.
Where is your proof that there are thousands? I've heard a couple belly aches here but that's it. Not everyone hear with sync 2 has complained. Yes people like it better than sync 2 but hate is obviously your opinion. Saying everyone hates it is false.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Where is your proof that there are thousands? I've heard a couple belly aches here but that's it. Not everyone hear with sync 2 has complained. Yes people like it better than sync 2 but hate is obviously your opinion. Saying everyone hates it is false.

Let me help you

"Unreliability of the MyFord Touch system has been cited by J.D. Powers & Associates as the primary factor contributing to a decline in Ford's standing in the 2011 "Initial Quality Survey" of new car purchasers.[13] The study ranked 2011 Ford vehicles' initial quality in 23rd position, down from fifth position in 2010. The ranking of Lincoln vehicles, a Ford subsidiary that also uses the Touch system branded as "MyLincoln Touch," declined from eighth to 17th place year over year. Consumer Reports recommends that no one consider buying used 2011 Ford Edges equipped with MyFord Touch systems.[14] As Ford has expanded availability of its MyFord Touch system to more vehicles (e.g. the 2013 Ford Flex), Consumer Reports has downgraded its ratings for vehicles so equipped.[5]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

I never claimed 'everyone hated it', My exact quote was
there's thousands upon thousands of Ford owners who hate the SYNC2 system
I'm still waiting for an explanation of how my original statement was false.

·
Registered
255 Posts

You can also read here, proof of a series of lawsuits against Ford regarding Sync2

MyFord Touch Complaints | Ford Problems

·
Premium Member
13,975 Posts
Let me help you

"Unreliability of the MyFord Touch system has been cited by J.D. Powers & Associates as the primary factor contributing to a decline in Ford's standing in the 2011 "Initial Quality Survey" of new car purchasers.[13] The study ranked 2011 Ford vehicles' initial quality in 23rd position, down from fifth position in 2010. The ranking of Lincoln vehicles, a Ford subsidiary that also uses the Touch system branded as "MyLincoln Touch," declined from eighth to 17th place year over year. Consumer Reports recommends that no one consider buying used 2011 Ford Edges equipped with MyFord Touch systems.[14] As Ford has expanded availability of its MyFord Touch system to more vehicles (e.g. the 2013 Ford Flex), Consumer Reports has downgraded its ratings for vehicles so equipped.[5]" - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

I never claimed 'everyone hated it', My exact quote was

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how my original statement was false.
Here is your proof.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts