Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Focus ST Maintenance Schedule

81K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Jim Clark 
#1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what the maintenance schedule is? I paid extra for the Ford extended maintenance plan to 100k and when I went in for my first 1,000 mile oil change they wrote me in for my next at 4,000. Using their synthetic blend in not sure it's necessary to come in after 3,000 anymore and I'm not sure what the extended maintenance plan actually covers as far as service intervals. I'm almost positive it doesn't cover and oil change every 3,000 so they are probably just trying to make money off of me.

So the real question is if anyone knows the correct service schedule for the 2016 Focus ST. I tried looking on the first website and found something where it let me type in the VIN but it came up at every 10,000 which also doesn't seem correct to me. I also remember hearing when I was buying my car that it was every 7,500.

So between what I heard at the dealer, and what the service guys are writing on my car, and from what I've seen on the internet you can see why I'm confused. Any insight on this would be appreciated. I'm at about 6,500 now since my first 1,000 mile change and drive my car pretty hard so that's why I am wondering. Thanks peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
I may have some answers for you BooSTTT. I have the same plan but in Canada its every 6 months or 8K (which sounds similar in your miles). My saleman covered my first oil change (full synthetic) and I am going in for my first scheduled one on Monday. Since we have the plan only Ford oil can be used to maintain the warranty. This being the case my dealer is giving me the synthetic at cost so it will cost me about $45 at each scheduled maintenance for their full synthetic. If you are pushing your car hard I recommend Full Synthetic and not the blend as its viscosity remains intact much better and will not break down under extreme cold or heat over time. This was a little to much I know but hope it helped. Good luck. Will update after visit Monday

#7 ·
Mine calls for oil changes every 10k.

Manufacturers have been increasing maintenance schedules to reduce cost of maintenance calculations. High quality oil is designed to meet those standards. I'm not sure why they would be recommending shorter intervals when they aren't even making money on it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Also I forgot to mention, to only make the maintenance schedule more confusing, when I went in for my 1,000 the tech guys put the sticker on for 4,000 for the next change. I missed 4,000 already because I figured they just want me in early to charge me for a change.

If it calls for it every 10,000. And people say every 5,000 is good, and with them putting stickers on for every 3,000. Will I get charged for a full price service if I come early? I.e. 3,000 or 5,000 or even 7,500?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. I just wish they did what Toyota Care did when I had my Corolla before this car and just have a set schedule and just inform me when I want to come in. In all 36,000 with my Corolla I was in and out with a printed receipt of what was done for that interval and was never charged a dime.

I feel like with the Ford service they are putting 3,000 mile oil change intervals to get me in there just to make me spend my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Cant teach old dogs new tricks. It seems a lot of service stations are stuck in 1980's.
Times are different. cars are different. Oil is different.
I was given 4 free oil changes when I purchased the ST..
It certainly won't hurt the car to have changes done early.

#11 ·
No one told me to go in for my 1st @ 1K miles, either! How important was/is this?! I just did oil change #2 ~9K miles.

I did every 5K in my 2013 ST, and used the synthetic blend. I plan on doing the same interval with full synthetic with this one.

#12 ·
Do whatever you want early if you feel like it. Its not going hurt anything other than your wallet.

For example I change my oil every 5k with full synthetic and trans at 20k. New plugs at 15k. Do I have to? No but that's what I feel is best for me.

Now for my standard disclaimer on these types of posts: This is only my opinion and does not reflect anything other than that. Do not want to start a debate to change your mind or mine.

#13 ·
BTW no one is recommended to change their oil at 10k mile intervals, Ford simply says that you should change it AT LEAST every 10k or once a year minimum. Realistically, depending on your driving habits most people will need a change between 5k and 7500 miles. Like was said earlier, the harder you drive, the more frequently you need to change. I do full synthetic oil every 5k miles. I haven't flushed the tranny yet, but that will be done soon, have 54k miles right now.

#14 ·
I personally will not go past 5K miles on an oil change.

The biggest reason is if I have an engine failure, sludge is a factor.

Guess how not warrantable engine replacement is if there is any sludge in the engine.

Th second reason is if an aftermarket oil filter is installed, it will be highly suspect as the root cause if there is any signs that it came apart.

Additionally I suggest taking it to the dealer to do it so the oil change is documented.

You have a better chance at fighting warranty if you have oil changes every 5K miles if it is documented if that type of situation ever comes up.

I am more than capable of doing my own oil changes but I don't for two reasons.

1. You get a lot more completed. Full inspection, top off of fluids, wheel rotation, etc.
2. If I screw up the oil change, I pay for it. If the dealer screws up the oil change, they pay for it.

#16 ·
OP. You wont have to pay anything for these planned maintenance appts that's why you rolled the maintenance plan into your payments. Unless your like me and want full synthetic you will walk out of each service charge free.

#17 ·
Keep in mind the Ford-recomended oil for the ST is not full synthetic, it is semi-synthetic (weak sauce IMO, but whatever). 3000 seems short even for semi-synthetic but it can't hurt.

I service myself with full synth always and do 4500-5000 miles interval.

Some manufacturers are pushing to 7500 with synthetic!

#25 ·
They have been way beyond that for two decades. In 1998 Mercedes introduced their Flexible Service System in which the car calculates the service interval based on usage and an oil quantity/quality sensor in the oil pan. My E320 typically called for service every 13K miles & 14 months. That engine (M112) has a very good record for longevity and reliability. It does carry 8.5 quarts of full synthetic oil, so those occasional changes are a bit pricey. Porsche has been using 10K to 20K mile intervals on different cars. These days, 7,500 pretty much qualifies as short.

#20 ·
I asked my dealer if I needed to bring it in for a "break in" oil change. They told me "No sir, bring it in every 7500 miles". I've got 28XX miles on the car and plan to do an oil change this weekend. I'm of the old adage...every 5000 miles. For me that's about $180 a year, depending on the sale O' Riley's may be having. Cheap insurance in my book.

#26 ·
I use Amsoil signature series oil and filter exclusively, 15k mike change interval. I've spoken to their engineers on a time or two about turbocharged engines and their effect on oil breakdown. They know what they're talking about and its worth the extra $, when you can lessen the change interval. Especially for someone who drives 130 miles a day..its a big deal. I order it on line, comes right to my door.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#31 ·
I did my first change at 5k after I read many people say that the 50% warning often doesn't even come on for like 10k and that people often do 7k changes. I'm at 10k now and plan on doing it very soon. I used to do 50 miles a day commuting to work then other miscellaneous driving pretty much just because I didn't want to be bored at my parents house so I was on pace for 20k miles/yr. I moved in with some friends and fiancée much closer to work so my mileage has decreased significantly and my need to be driving outside of work has also decreased. I'll still be changing every 5-7.5k with full synthetic. I typically use Mobil 1, but otherwise whatever sale advanced auto has on full synthetic.

#34 ·
that is my plan... can get the filter on Amazon for 3 bucks... yeah PUP is almost 10 a quart... I see a lot of people use Mobile 1... on my previous car a TGI engine as well it was found out that Mobile 1 would foam up. Guess not the same on this car?

#35 ·
I think M1 is one of the most commonly used here for the reason of it performing better than the other options, I've never had it foam that I've seen. In tests it also usually comes out on top or near it

Reactions: rspec2014
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.