Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Then i guess they shouldn't sell it for all models then.
None of the Ford turbocharged engines use a MAF, for future reference. Out of curiosity, why were trying to obtain an extension harness?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the Ford turbocharged engines use a MAF, for future reference. Out of curiosity, why were trying to obtain an extension harness?
I realize they dont use a MAF, its a Bosch MAP sensor with IAT, I assumed since it was sold as "Fits All Focus Models" that they would send me the correct MAP sensor extension, obviously I was wrong, hence why I am trying to get a refund or replacement.

And since everyone seems to want to get technical.... our computer doesn't read pressure at the intake sensor, it just reads temperature.

I am trying to move the intake behind the engine and pull air through the cowling on the passenger side.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I realize they dont use a MAF, its a Bosch MAP sensor with IAT, I assumed since it was sold as "Fits All Focus Models" that they would send me the correct MAP sensor extension, obviously I was wrong, hence why I am trying to get a refund or replacement.

And since everyone seems to want to get technical.... our computer doesn't read pressure at the intake sensor, it just reads temperature.

I am trying to move the intake behind the engine and pull air through the cowling on the passenger side.
Right, the IAT is right behind the intake box. The TCBP (turbocharger boost pressure) is combined with the CACT (charge air cooler temperature) sensor is located in the intake between the intercooler and the throttle plate. The MAP sensor is after the throttle plate in the throttle body.

Vehicles that use a MAF measure grams per second for flow (not pressure) right after the intake filter, converts into into a VREF voltage to the PCM

Sorry, just trying to picture what you are doing with the extensions. Never heard of them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ah, that makes more sense.

Why do you need to move the MAP sensor for that? The MAP sensor is after the throttle plate, no where near the intake tubing?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ah, that makes more sense.

Why do you need to move the MAP sensor for that? The MAP sensor is after the throttle plate, no where near the intake tubing?
Because there are three MAP sensors on our car, one of them being attached to the airbox.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Because there are three MAP sensors on our car, one of them being attached to the airbox.
I see. What is the benefit of using three on your application?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Maybe I am just being ignorant here, but as far as I know there is only 1 MAP sensor.

8 is the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

5 is the Turbocharger Boost Pressure/ Charge Air Cooler Temperature sensor

3 is the Manifold Absolute pressure sensor.

Sounds like this is a nomenclature confusion.

From what I am understanding, the IAT is being moved and requiring the harness extension. Not the MAP?

I am learning something new here, bear with me.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Maybe I am just being ignorant here, but as far as I know there is only 1 MAP sensor.

8 is the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

5 is the Turbocharger Boost Pressure/ Charge Air Cooler Temperature sensor

3 is the Manifold Absolute pressure sensor.

Sounds like this is a nomenclature confusion.

From what I am understanding, the IAT is being moved and requiring the harness extension. Not the MAP?

I am learning something new here, bear with me.
All three of those sensors are MAP sensors, two of which are temperature and pressure sensors or t-map/map-t sensors.

3. Is a MAP sensor in the intake manifold and only reads the intake manifold pressure (not a T-Map sensor, just a regular MAP sensor)

5. Is a T-MAP sensor listed as a MAPT sensor that measures the charge air temperature and pressure post turbocharger.

8. Is listed as the MAF sensor in the service manual because it functions like a MAF in that it can read the intake air temperature and measure the pressure to tell the PCM about the environmental conditions after the air filter and air box but it's using a T-MAP sensor.

The thing they all have in common is that they are MAP sensors, there is not a single hot wire MAF sensor on the car.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ok, so this is a nomenclature thing.

My version of those three sensors are a little different, probably due to my job.

But I see where you are coming from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts