Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys i topped up my coolant and after driving for a hour or so it drops back down. The leak is from the driver side I’ve attached a photo what could be the possible cause. It’s a mk3.5 ST250

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
Can you get some better pictures around the coolant resevoir?

Also you need tires, badly.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,596 Posts
It could be about 15 different things. Take some pictures under the hood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you get some better pictures around the coolant resevoir?

Also you need tires, badly.
I’ve locked it in the garage now. But what could it be it’s leaking from the driver side (UK
It could be about 15 different things. Take some pictures under the hood.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,084 Posts
I’ve locked it in the garage now. But what could it be it’s leaking from the driver side (UK
Pictures of the engine comparment around the coolant tank and surrounding area....when you get a chance.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,611 Posts
On right side, coolant tank, small plastic line on tank, and heater hoses at firewall good places to look.

On the left side, I would suggest focusing on small plastic coolant line and coolant fitting on end of head first, above transmission. Easy to damage if not careful, also plastic gets more brittle with age and mileage.

There are various other hoses and possibilities.

If you have the splash tray on, leaks can come out a different spot than near where they originate.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Yes, we know what coolant on the ground looks like. You need to lift the hood and look around, take pictures of where you see the coolant coming from.

Help us help you.

·
Registered
2016 ST1 Oxford White, Gen2 GTX3076R Turbo
125 Posts
Only applicatable if big turbo, as stock uses hard lines, but I was so concerned with keeping coolant and oil lines from the turbine housing that my coolant return was rubbing on the driveline causing it to burn through.

That's my expirence, just thought I'd throw it out there until you get a chance to provide some pics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys managed to take a few pics I can also see some sort of liquid there could it possibly be a pipe ?

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Well, there definitely appears to be indication of a leak down the frame rail. So it could be a bad coolant cap, a cracked resevoir, or that tiny coolant bypass line that goes into the resevoir could be cracked.

The engine hasnt been overheated, has it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, there definitely appears to be indication of a leak down the frame rail. So it could be a bad coolant cap, a cracked resevoir, or that tiny coolant bypass line that goes into the resevoir could be cracked.

The engine hasnt been overheated, has it?
So it doesn’t look like something too major ? The temp light stays in the middle but sometimes when you drive for a while the fan stays on for about 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
So it doesn’t look like something too major ? The temp light stays in the middle but sometimes when you drive for a while the fan stays on for about 30 seconds.
At this point in time, no. You do need to find exactly which one of those items is leaking and fix it before you drive The car again though. Do not continue driving it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At this point in time, no. You do need to find exactly which one of those items is leaking and fix it before you drive The car again though. Do not continue driving it.
Yes I’ve kept it parked since I discovered the leak only drove it home from where I was. Shall I remove the coolant tank and dig deeper. Any way of finding a leak more easily as there is a lot of things in the way

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
The easiest way is to top it off and use a coolant pressure tester. Here in the states, most parts stores rent them out. I'm not sure about in the UK. I think youll be able to see a little better when you get the tank lifted up some though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The easiest way is to top it off and use a coolant pressure tester. Here in the states, most parts stores rent them out. I'm not sure about in the UK. I think youll be able to see a little better when you get the tank lifted up some though.
I don’t think we can rent them if I’m honest how about a UV leak tester I saw on YouTube?

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
I don’t think we can rent them if I’m honest how about a UV leak tester I saw on YouTube?
That would require using dye and still require a means to pressurize The system without running the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would require using dye and still require a means to pressurize The system without running the engine.
Yes correct. Might be best to take it to garage. I’ll try have a deeper look tomorrow if I can try and see any obvious leaks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts