Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How is it on 20-60, 40-100 etc compared to other vehicles.

I've been trying to find reliable data on this but cannot, keep in mind I'm mostly interested in stock figures (as I plan to stay stock for awhile).
I feel like if this car was RWD, we'd potentially be getting a 5.5-5.8 0-60 (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious about all of this because I feel like 0-60 is irrelevant for our cars, I know there is a bit we can do to improve the times, but our ST's are more about highway pulls, twisty roads and corners.
I also want to know who I can and cannot play with on the road, for instance, I was able to absolutely embarrass a V6 Camaro on the highway when their 0-60 time blows us out of the water.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I dont know too much about 20-60 or 40-100 times, but there are quite a few quick cars that we can keep up with, especially when modded. Others can chime in, but for me being pretty much full bolt ons, I can keep up with or beat WRXs, stock STis, 350z, 370z, any V6 "muscle car", most mopar boats (the ones with the weird cat emblem on the side are a bit faster).

Those results are based on what I have played with on the highway, as for messing with stuff on back roads, anything is game as long as you are the better driver.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
How is it on 20-60, 40-100 etc compared to other vehicles.

I've been trying to find reliable data on this but cannot, keep in mind I'm mostly interested in stock figures (as I plan to stay stock for awhile).
I feel like if this car was RWD, we'd potentially be getting a 5.5-5.8 0-60 (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm curious about all of this because I feel like 0-60 is irrelevant for our cars, I know there is a bit we can do to improve the times, but our ST's are more about highway pulls, twisty roads and corners.
I also want to know who I can and cannot play with on the road, for instance, I was able to absolutely embarrass a V6 Camaro on the highway when their 0-60 time blows us out of the water.
Our car in stock form with a good driver and better tires easily does a 5.7s 0-60 or so...the 6.1 rating we are given is kinda just a time given by testers and isn't the tell tale time. Our mid range 20-60 is faster than a TON of cars because of our crazy high torque figures we can achieve, especially with a tune. That being said our top end, say 60-120 is awful compared to a lot of cars. If you are against a WRX that's a...lets say...2013 model with the 5 speed tranny? It'll stomp you above 60 probably because our turbo dies and they have better gearing so we have to grab another gear and they don't. Down low from a 20/30 roll you will beat him unless you are racing long distance and he has time to catch up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know too much about 20-60 or 40-100 times, but there are quite a few quick cars that we can keep up with, especially when modded. Others can chime in, but for me being pretty much full bolt ons, I can keep up with or beat WRXs, stock STis, 350z, 370z, any V6 "muscle car", most mopar boats (the ones with the weird cat emblem on the side are a bit faster).

Those results are based on what I have played with on the highway, as for messing with stuff on back roads, anything is game as long as you are the better driver.
CAI, FMIC, 93 OCT tune is what you have? Or do you use E30 tune + WMI to do all of that. Still a bit new to the Focus ST modding scene, I am going to get into modding when I have more miles on the st.. probably 15K.

Our car in stock form with a good driver and better tires easily does a 5.7s 0-60 or so...the 6.1 rating we are given is kinda just a time given by testers and isn't the tell tale time. Our mid range 20-60 is faster than a TON of cars because of our crazy high torque figures we can achieve, especially with a tune. That being said our top end, say 60-120 is awful compared to a lot of cars. If you are against a WRX that's a...lets say...2013 model with the 5 speed tranny? It'll stomp you above 60 probably because our turbo dies and they have better gearing so we have to grab another gear and they don't. Down low from a 20/30 roll you will beat him unless you are racing long distance and he has time to catch up.

Yea I was going off of the 6.3 0-60 that car and driver posted. I think the new gen st's 15 and up are a bit slower than the previous because we are heavier. Not too interested into racing up to 100+, so I guess this doesn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
390 Posts
CAI, FMIC, 93 OCT tune is what you have? Or do you use E30 tune + WMI to do all of that. Still a bit new to the Focus ST modding scene, I am going to get into modding when I have more miles on the st.. probably 15K.

Yea I was going off of the 6.3 0-60 that car and driver posted. I think the new gen st's 15 and up are a bit slower than the previous because we are heavier. Not too interested into racing up to 100+, so I guess this doesn't bother me too much.
I currently have, FMIC, Catless Downpipe, Catback exhaust, ram air intake, and a 93 tune, no E-30 yet as ethanol isnt very available around here and i dont want to mess with WMI until i go big turbo in the next year or two.

Wow, typing this out I kinda realized how much i have in the car. . . so far Mod$$$>Payment$$$.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts

Yeah I'll be honest I don't know how they possibly got that time because I get that time on WINTER tires. Now, I'm stage 3 pushing like ~260whp (+/- 15) and ~330-350fl/lb tq. but this was literally on winter tires at like 45 degrees Fahrenheit one afternoon. The C&D driver must have babied it lol. But yeah, most cars on the road you'll pull on at low to highway speeds, on the interstate obviously if everyone is cruising 70-80 and someone tries to play you will have some challenge on your hands. Buy an upgraded turbo from Stratified (GTX2867 .64 and it comes with free tune) for $2,300 and have it installed and you'll not have to worry about anything other than 400+ hp muscle/sports cars or BT tuners lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have, FMIC, Catless Downpipe, Catback exhaust, ram air intake, and a 93 tune, no E-30 yet as ethanol isnt very available around here and i dont want to mess with WMI until i go big turbo in the next year or two.

Wow, typing this out I kinda realized how much i have in the car. . . so far Mod$$$>Payment$$$.
That is another fear of mine, burning a hole in my pocket haha.

Yeah I'll be honest I don't know how they possibly got that time because I get that time on WINTER tires. Now, I'm stage 3 pushing like ~260whp (+/- 15) and ~330-350fl/lb tq. but this was literally on winter tires at like 45 degrees Fahrenheit one afternoon. The C&D driver must have babied it lol. But yeah, most cars on the road you'll pull on at low to highway speeds, on the interstate obviously if everyone is cruising 70-80 and someone tries to play you will have some challenge on your hands. Buy an upgraded turbo from Stratified (GTX2867 .64 and it comes with free tune) for $2,300 and have it installed and you'll not have to worry about anything other than 400+ hp muscle/sports cars or BT tuners lol.
I'm not going to lie, I really want a bigger turbo on this car. My only fear is installing and the pre-reqs for the turbo itself. I do not have the know-how nor do I trust myself to do it anyway. How hard is it to find a shop that is reputable to do one of these? I live in Ewing NJ, so 45 minutes from Philadelphia and about 20 from Trenton.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
That is another fear of mine, burning a hole in my pocket haha.

I'm not going to lie, I really want a bigger turbo on this car. My only fear is installing and the pre-reqs for the turbo itself. I do not have the know-how nor do I trust myself to do it anyway. How hard is it to find a shop that is reputable to do one of these? I live in Ewing NJ, so 45 minutes from Philadelphia and about 20 from Trenton.
Well it is an option to have Ford do it for you, but as far as reputable shops it honestly isn't that hard of a job, if you know what you're doing it's just a handful of hours at most. So, a decent shop should easily be able to do it for you then when they are done you can flash over the tune for it and start it up, if anything seems wrong then take it back immediately the same day and see if they missed a vacuum line or something. They have how-to's on the forum here and some tuners wrote up how to's also. Other than the garbage stock intercooler and the slightly restrictive downpipe, our biggest power restriction is our turbo. Once you replace that you can get the car to almost 400hp on stock fueling. More realistically you'll see 350-360 with stock fueling, but tune it aggressively with ethanol fuel and you can get higher. THAT would be nice. And I already consider my Stage 3 power nice lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep in mind to the Ford advertised 0-60 was done with all season tires. Most reviews I've read when tested with summer tires it's around 5.8 stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't be so concerned with 0-60 numbers, as they heavily rely on traction. Look at 1/4 mile MPH numbers. That is a much better indicator of what is going to happen from a roll. A stock ST is a decently quick car, but I wouldn't expect to handily beat a new 6th gen V6 Camaro, or an Ecoboost Mustang, especially if the driver is paying attention. Those cars are not turds. The ST's stock turbo runs out of steam above 5500 rpm, and this really hurts acceleration, tuned or untuned. I love my ST...it is light, nimble, quick, and one of my favorite cars I've ever owned...but it does NOT play with the big dogs. If you wanted something fast, a Mustang GT would have been a better platform to work with.

As for the "mopar boats with the weird cat emblems"...don't even think about it...they'll put bus lengths on you. They run 125+ mph in the 1/4. Even the 392 cars are going to be hard to beat, as they run about 115 mph.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stock Fo'ST is a whole bundle of heat soak. Plus all seasons. And a '15+ ST3 weighing nearly 3300lbs probably.

I shed 110lbs off my ST and should be making close to 300wtq stage 1. Additionally...I need LSD, traction bar, RRM, PSS tires, intercooler to go stage 2 ... but now that's venturing far from stock, but I'd be good with whatever 0-60 that set-up is able to yield for our FWD.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Stock Fo'ST is a whole bundle of heat soak. Plus all seasons. And a '15+ ST3 weighing nearly 3300lbs probably.

I shed 110lbs off my ST and should be making close to 300wtq stage 1. Additionally...I need LSD, traction bar, RRM, PSS tires, intercooler to go stage 2 ... but now that's venturing far from stock, but I'd be good with whatever 0-60 that set-up is able to yield for our FWD.
Out of curiosity what did you do to remove 110 lbs? I see the new wheels and muffler delete but that wouldn't be enough for 110.

Another thing for everyone to keep in mind is the auto review sites are testing ST3s, sunroof and all - they also have the new wheels. Does anyone know how they compare to snowflakes? A ST1 should still weigh about 3150 lbs.

Edit: I actually data logged this morning and did a few 0-60 runs. The best I was getting was high 6s. Given I'm running my crappy all season Falkens and 91 octane. Virtual dyno in 3rd is showing 236 hp and 296 lb-ft at the wheels. 16 hp and 10 lb-ft lower than the last time I tested.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Out of curiosity what did you do to remove 110 lbs? I see the new wheels and muffler delete but that wouldn't be enough for 110.

Another thing for everyone to keep in mind is the auto review sites are testing ST3s, sunroof and all - they also have the new wheels. Does anyone know how they compare to snowflakes? A ST1 should still weigh about 3150 lbs.

Edit: I actually data logged this morning and did a few 0-60 runs. The best I was getting was high 6s. Given I'm running my crappy all season Falkens and 91 octane. Virtual dyno in 3rd is showing 236 hp and 296 lb-ft at the wheels. 16 hp and 10 lb-ft lower than the last time I tested.
I need to update that lol.

No rear muffler
No resonator
No 17" full size spare + tools, etc. out (for now, had to use for a while, didn't intend to take them out, haven't put them back)
Rims lost me 7.5lbs per corner

At least 100lbs right there I think.

I believe the alternate spoke two-tone rims are pretty much the same weight. I remember looking that up out of interest when they first started coming out as they look like they SHOULD be lighter. Turns out it wasn't so much the case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It sucks today because now there are 1.5L Honda civics that push 6 sec to 60 mph and BMW 320’s that is it in 5.8 sec and Audi A3/4 5.3 sec 0-60 and Mercedes 250 models doing 5.8 to 6.2 sec, 2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo doing 5.7 sec or old 2004 Honda V6 doing 5.6 sec. It is a no win for the ST Foc unless you go big turbo an push her into the 310 -340 hp range. Basically 70-100 crank hp more than stock. You’ll need at least a bigger turbo and 320 crank hp to run with the underpowered Civic Type R. Do not waste your time doing 0-60 or 1/4 runs, those are the ST’s weak points. So rolls from 40 or 55. I also had the chance to take new and stg 3 modded ST’s on the track for top speed testing at near sealevel in 55 degree air, Michigan 93/94 octane fuel. The stock cars were not able to top 138 to 142 mph. The Stg 3 cars did about 152-155 mph. On 91 fuel, expect 5 mph less on stock upto stg 3 cars and 0-60 on a stock Foc ST on 91 was 6.4 sec, with a [email protected] mph 1/4. The Stg 3 cars on 91 did 5.4 0-60 and [email protected] mph. What’s awful is that a stock 2008 Civic Si could match a stock 91 octane ST Focus to 60 and that old Si even out runs the stock ST to 100 mph by 1.3 seconds. Ford just did not do their home work when throwing the Mazda sourced motor to 2.0L in it. They almost put the Mazdaspeed 3’s motor in the ST. They are closely related.

·
Super Moderator
1,737 Posts
It sucks today because now there are 1.5L Honda civics that push 6 sec to 60 mph and BMW 320’s that is it in 5.8 sec and Audi A3/4 5.3 sec 0-60 and Mercedes 250 models doing 5.8 to 6.2 sec, 2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo doing 5.7 sec or old 2004 Honda V6 doing 5.6 sec. It is a no win for the ST Foc unless you go big turbo an push her into the 310 -340 hp range. Basically 70-100 crank hp more than stock. You’ll need at least a bigger turbo and 320 crank hp to run with the underpowered Civic Type R. Do not waste your time doing 0-60 or 1/4 runs, those are the ST’s weak points. So rolls from 40 or 55. I also had the chance to take new and stg 3 modded ST’s on the track for top speed testing at near sealevel in 55 degree air, Michigan 93/94 octane fuel. The stock cars were not able to top 138 to 142 mph. The Stg 3 cars did about 152-155 mph. On 91 fuel, expect 5 mph less on stock upto stg 3 cars and 0-60 on a stock Foc ST on 91 was 6.4 sec, with a [email protected] mph 1/4. The Stg 3 cars on 91 did 5.4 0-60 and [email protected] mph. What’s awful is that a stock 2008 Civic Si could match a stock 91 octane ST Focus to 60 and that old Si even out runs the stock ST to 100 mph by 1.3 seconds. Ford just did not do their home work when throwing the Mazda sourced motor to 2.0L in it. They almost put the Mazdaspeed 3’s motor in the ST. They are closely related.
Forgetting something, almost all cars you listed at automatic trans, a major advantage when doing 0-60 times.

Also, I'd love to see a stock 2008 SI do a run against a Stock FoST. Even newer videos of the 10th gen Si models that are tuned lose out to the ST.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
dunno about y’all, but the ST literally RIPS on the highway....my very first encounter when driving it home from the dealer was a 2010-ish WRX. We would side by side and slow to about 50, three honks and go, he would jump out on me maybe half a car until about 70 and I would reel him in and walk past him after 90, and he could never catch up.

we stopped and talked at the gas station, he was actually more mad when I told him I was bone stock with paper dealer tags...cool dude though, and we ran the piss outa the cars from Medford all the way to Sacramento 😬👍🏼

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.