Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ST2- Roush CAI, Cobb RMM, AWE Track Edt Cat Back, Unkown BOV, Monster Tuned FMIC OTW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help... I payed $13000 for my 2014 Focus st with 98000 miles a month ago. It had an AC issue and purge valve issue. I replaced those, but after about a week, I noticed 2nd was grinding. Transmission shop said it would cost $3000 to replace all synchros and a few other parts cause that’s the issue. Should I keep the car or sell it while I haven’t lost much money. I’m young and learning about cars so I don’t want to make a wrong decision. Idk if the previous owner took car of the car that well. If I do sell the car, idk if I will be able to get another st or even manual for that matter :(

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gzus, man.. a pfl at $13k with 98k??

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
570 Posts
I understand the variables when purchasing used cars.. but a quick Google search net'd newer models in ST2 trims with half the miles for about the same price.. not knocking you whatsoever but hope your issue gets resolved quickly

·
Registered
2014 ST2- Roush CAI, Cobb RMM, AWE Track Edt Cat Back, Unkown BOV, Monster Tuned FMIC OTW
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the variables when purchasing used cars.. but a quick Google search net'd newer models in ST2 trims with half the miles for about the same price.. not knocking you whatsoever but hope your issue gets resolved quickly

Thanks, in my area they’re pretty expensive (Orlando). The cheapest is about 14k.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You may want to try and reset the linkage..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to try and reset the linkage..

Even if I do that, the transmission shop said I’d need to replace all synchronizers. Do you think they might have not checked into that?

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
They synchros are a known issue for the ST. So it's not out of the question for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They synchros are a known issue for the ST. So it's not out of the question for sure.
Ok thanks, don’t know if I should let the car go or not :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Even if I do that, the transmission shop said I’d need to replace all synchronizers. Do you think they might have not checked into that?
Resetting the linkage is the cheapest and easiest thing to check you can do yourself. However, it seems like the early STs did have some issues with the second gear synchro, so that really may be the problem. Your only real option if that is the case is to have the trans syncro replaced. If you are new to car repair, I humbly suggest that dropping the trans and replacing yourself is probably not wise or doable. Mountune offers a trans rebuild service for around 1800 I believe, but you still have to pay someone labor to drop and reinstall it. Whatever you do, I suspect you will lose more money at this point getting rid of it versus what you already paid, and probably paid for the previous repairs. Good luck -

·
Registered
707 Posts
I second keeping the car. You'll never get your money back trying to sell the car as is. I would consider getting the trans dropped and sending it to Mountune and have them put in upgraded synchros and possibly a LSD if you can afford to .
Any chance you can get the dealer/seller to help contribute since they sold you a car in questionable condition? I'm not sure if Fla has lemon laws or consumer advocates to help or whether you'll have to threaten legal action.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I second keeping the car. You'll never get your money back trying to sell the car as is. I would consider getting the trans dropped and sending it to Mountune and have them put in upgraded synchros and possibly a LSD if you can afford to .
Any chance you can get the dealer/seller to help contribute since they sold you a car in questionable condition? I'm not sure if Fla has lemon laws or consumer advocates to help or whether you'll have to threaten legal action.
I think I might just get the synchros replaced, I got a shop offering to charge $1600. Thanks for all your guy’s help. Unfortunately, all these dealers sell the car “as is” which sucks but it is what is.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I think I might just get the synchros replaced, I got a shop offering to charge $1600. Thanks for all your guy’s help. Unfortunately, all these dealers sell the car “as is” which sucks but it is what is.
Yeah I’m with everyone else, pay the money to have it fixed, it really sucks. I’m assuming FL doesn’t make their dealers offer a warranty? Was it grinding when you test drove it?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If I was doing the synchro's i would be looking at MFactory's offerings. Might as well upgrade from stock.. If you have the budget, you can pair with one of their LSD's, shouldnt cost much more on the labor side since they shop would be in there already

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your mechanically inclined it might be worth it to drop the trans yourself and take it to the shop. Could save you some cash on labor. Dropping a FWD trans can be work but definitely doable in your driveway.

·
Banned
885 Posts
You already made the wrong decision by buying a turbo car with 98k miles. Listen, I’m not trying to be rude, but the better option would’ve been to save your money & buy a newer ST with less miles. I say this all the time, but when buying anything used, the less miles the better, especially on a performance car. I’d personally never buy any car without some warranty left. As far as what you should do now, that’s entirely up too you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
To be sure it's bad synchros, does it shift easier / grind less if you double clutch?
I would do what you can to research / troubleshoot the issue yourself before trusting any shop to do anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have the shop refill the transmission with 105786 Motul DCTF Dual Clutch Transmission fluid. Much better than Ford stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts