Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new here.... As in like just a few hours old type new lol.

I am looking to purchase in the next month or 2, waiting on taxes. It will be my first time dealing with a real dealership. I test drove a 2018 ST3 w/Carbon Fiber package last night and loved it!
Not my color of choice and the salesman says he cant (or wont, not sure) go lower than $26,000. Started it up for the test drive, 6 miles on odometer, went 3 miles and for some reason when we parked it back at lot (9 miles on odo now) it was smoking slightly from under the hood. Salesman tried telling me its from them changing the oil. I am a service technician and i smell bull****?!? No reason to change oil when there is less than 3k miles, much less 10 ya know?

Anyways, I am thinking of going Certified PreOwned.... I found my colors i want, exact package i fell in love with, and only 4000+ miles on the odo for $8,000 less. Just a little over 1,000 miles away. Im caught between Tangerine Scream and Hot Pepper Red.

Can i get some insight and/or advice?

Thanks in advance!
Pic is of test driven ST3 next to my wifes Volvo in Baton Rouge

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
$26k for an ST3 is a really good deal.
The smoking sounds pretty normal for a really fresh engine in a brand new car, just lubricants and stuff burning off probably. Plus you know it hasn't been beat on yet and you can break it in properly.

I won't comment on what color you should get, but the cert. preowned deals sound good too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i didnt know that'd be normal. Thats the newest thing i have ever driven for myself outside of doing Inspections.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I bought that same car as a 2015 model with 21,000 miles on it in January 2017 for $21,500. I think a brand spanking new version of my car for $26,000 would be worth it. sounds like a great deal to me!

·
Administrator
11,886 Posts
And the CPOs i have seen come with the extended 7 year warranty also
If you plan on using a warranty, or a dealership for service, i highly suggest doing thorough research on them.

Dealerships can either be great, or your worst nightmare. From improperly trained techs, to ridiculous warranty denials, to even putting the wrong amount if oil in the ecoboost motor. There's plenty of horror stories on here.

Oh, and it doesnt hurt to get to know a tech or two. You will be trusting your life/investment with these people. Don't take it lightly, be smart about it.

Besides that, potentially welcome aboard!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And the CPOs i have seen come with the extended 7 year warranty also
If you plan on using a warranty, or a dealership for service, i highly suggest doing thorough research on them.

Dealerships can either be great, or your worst nightmare. From improperly trained techs, to ridiculous warranty denials, to even putting the wrong amount if oil in the ecoboost motor. There's plenty of horror stories on here.

Oh, and it doesnt hurt to get to know a tech or two. You will be trusting your life/investment with these people. Don't take it lightly, be smart about it.

Besides that, potentially welcome aboard!

Thanks for the insight and the welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
good time to buy! I read this in an article.
“Last month, sales of the Focus declined 31 percent compared to sales in January of last year. To overcome this, Ford is offering zero percent financing for five years. If you choose to finance outside of Ford, you can expect up to $3,250 cash back. Finally, lessees can take home select Focus models for $169 per month for 39 months with $1,699 due at signing.”

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
good time to buy! I read this in an article.
“Last month, sales of the Focus declined 31 percent compared to sales in January of last year. To overcome this, Ford is offering zero percent financing for five years. If you choose to finance outside of Ford, you can expect up to $3,250 cash back. Finally, lessees can take home select Focus models for $169 per month for 39 months with $1,699 due at signing.”
Yeah I just got a $3500 rebate from Ford for buying a leftover ‘17. Has my own financing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is a Ford Dealership about an hour away from me offering a new 2017 ST2 leftover for $23,500. I approached my local dealer with the web link and told them that if they can offer a new 2017 ST3 leftover for the same price I'll buy it, and they told me that they think they can make that happen...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just purchased a 2017 left over ST3 with a sticker price of $31,800 for $25,400. Just fewer and fewer 17's left out there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow you guys got incredible deals on yours, My '17 ST3 was more like 29,500ish after the 3250 rebate back in October. I feel like I got ripped off

·
Registered
56 Posts
To add my two cents,

Engines smoke like that due to the coating that is put on them throughout assembly. All brand new motors, new car or old car, will do that.

ST3 is the chizz. It's what I'll be getting come this summer. Best bang for your buck if you're wanting a vehicle with a standard, turbo, leather, heated seats, heated steering wheel, sunroof, touch navigation, and room to take things wherever you go.

Pricewise, Ford has been doing 0% financing for 5 years for quite sometime. It's great to do, but it's not like they're suddenly offering this deal. That goes along with the rebates/cash back too. There's a ton of rebates you can get and some prices posted don't include them so you can haggle the price, then throw the rebates in their and you've got a bangin deal. Make sure you check for them through your company. You'd be surprised. There's also military and student rebates through Ford.

I have yet to buy a Focus ST, but I've been doing thorough research for about 2 years now. Test drove a few, talked with owners, and it's damn good car and it's hard to beat for the price. Something else to keep in mind is this is the last model year for this gen ST, and RS for that matter. There's been spy photos of the new gen, so we know it's coming. Looking at the past, we also know the ST version may be a couple years off from when they release the new gen. So play that card into your game when thinking about buying. Some dealers will try to mess with you and try to hype it up like oh its the last model year it's special you say oh its the last model year they're getting harder to sell. When buying a car, you need to know everything about what you're getting yourself into. The more you know, the better deal you'll get, and the better you'll feel about your purchase.

Ok maybe that was three cents...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what i have heard since then. It was my first test drive on a NEW car ever. Lol

I highly doubt that i would qualify for a 5 year 0% interest rate with my credit, 600ish. Also when i test drove that car the only rebates i was told about were the military and student. Which i qualify for neither.

I have seen said "spy photos" also heard/read that they're changing the engine to a 1.6L or similiar. Ill be saying NO to that lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't recall any visible smoke on my new ST, but there was definitely a strong smell of something burning off the first few hundred miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts